Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bristol Rovers vs Charlton Athletic | Good Friday @ 3pm | Match Preview

Bristol Rovers vs Charlton Athletic
Good Friday @ 3pm
Referee: Simon Mather

Introduction
There were quite remarkable scenes at the Valley last Saturday, with the Addicks running out 6-0 winners over fellow mid-table side: Shrewsbury Town... Yes you read that correctly, Charlton only went and scored SIX times in a match at the Valley for the first time since the 70s - We travel to Bristol Rovers for the first of our Easter Holidays, the players will be looking to carry both that performance, and their form into the remaining fixtures this term... and prove this season hasnt just been a one off.

The Opposition
Name: Bristol Rovers (15th) | Manager: Joey Barton
Ground: Memorial Stadium
Previous League Result: Bristol Rovers 0-2 Portsmouth

The Pirates naturally returned to League One in perhaps the most dramatic of fashions last season - Yet like Charlton have gone about their campaign this season in quiet fashion, never once have they really looked like relegation strugglers, whilst at the same time they've never really like achieving anything other than mid-table - I imagine that has suited Bristol Rovers fans quite nicely, especially after dropping into League Two for a season back in 2019-20.

Overall their form hasn't been overly special of late... The Pirates welcomed back to back wins along with the New Year, however they've picked up just the two wins since, once in February, the other in March - Postponements against Shrewsbury and Plymouth  mean they come into this match having not played since the 18th March, and will either be fresher than the Addicks or will be lacking match fitness... Although I guess that'll depend on the result, with Charlton currently undefeated at the Memorial in their last five visits to the West Country.

Charlton Team News
Naturally Corey Blackett-Taylor | Chuks Aneke | Lucas Ness will be absent from the squad this coming Friday, but apart from that there are few injury concerns as we approach the end of the season - Mandela Egbo continues to wait for more First Team minutes having made an early and unexpected return, whilst Todd Kane will be approaching match contention soon having made his comeback in the London Senior Cup on Tuesday night.

I guess a 6-0 win over Shrewsbury means that we need to implement very few changes to a winning squad - Macauley Bonne may be given an opportunity from the start, after finally grabbing his first goal last Saturday, whilst there are continued calls for Aaron Henry to be given further opportunity from the start.

Maynard-Brewer
Clare - Hector - Inniss - Thomas
Morgan - Dobson - Fraser
Rak-Sakyi - Leaburn - Campbell

Substitutes Bench: Wollacott - Mitchell - Sessegnon - Payne - Henry - Bonne - Kanu

Comments

• Options
    Unbeaten in our last 5 visits to the Memorial Ground 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Another 6 goals please, would love to see Joey Barton’s reaction to that
  • Options
    If Clare is not fit who will take this place, the possibles are Sessegnon, Kane, Egbo
  • Options
    5 consecutive games without defeat on our run in, 14 goals, and counting…
  • Options
    Let’s start with the same team if we can.
  • Options
    In the absence of Egbo, I feel that the back 4 looks about right on FA's preview, with Sess not being here next season let's give Thomas an extended run at LB, I would like to see Kanu starting in place of JRS, who also is not here next season, maybe Henry for Morgan, but feel the team is in experimental phase of the season, now we know we are going nowhere this year...
  • Options
    Any pub recommendations? 
  • Options
    Is this on Charlton TV in the U.K?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    5-5.
  • Options
    If we can score first then a comfortable win. If they score first we still win. ATTACK!
  • Options
    Another victory on the road. Leaburn and Rak Saki to continue to battle it out for top scorer. 3-1 addicks. Happy Easter 🐰
  • Options
    Another entirely pointless fixture so we should do well. 

Let's hope we can avoid any play-off or relegation candidates until the end of the season. 

1-2
  • Options
    No idea after last week but another win would be marvellous.
  • Options
    Not a must win, but a chance to extend first team experience for one or two players.
  • Options
    Simon Mather reffed our away game at Fleetwood (1-1) and averaged a mark of 6.37
  • Options
    Can see us drawing this one. Whilst you cant win em all, another good performance would be good to keep building on. 

2-2 (Fraser and Leaburn)
  • Options
    We're far too inconsistent - which has had a detrimental affect all season. Just hope it's not an 'after the Lord Mayor's show' performance. Going for 1-1.
  • Options
    Simple Charlton win. 5-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rovers like so many teams in this league very unpredictable..can beat anyone or lose to anyone … in Collins a striker who should be on our shopping list .. Holden is a big fan called him the best striker in league one so who knows 

again this could be a very good drawer depends how Rovers react after not playing for 3 weeks 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Dean Holden's pre-Bristol Rovers press conference (April 2023) | Charlton Athletic Football Club (charltonafc.com)

Always find Deans interviews interesting, and he is sounding realistic whilst confident of a good game, with a sold out away end cheering us on, another three point are there for the taking, sounds like Clare will be missing...
  • Options
    Am I right in saying that our next two games over Easter are available live in The UK on Charlton Live £10.00 fee.
  • Options
    Am I right in saying that our next two games over Easter are available live in The UK on Charlton Live £10.00 fee.
    Correct...
  • Options
    Correct...
    👍
  • Options
    Another entirely pointless fixture so we should do well. 

Let's hope we can avoid any play-off or relegation candidates until the end of the season. 

1-2
    Had a boo at the fixture list?
  • Options
    I imagine Clare won't be risked, and Sess will play RB, making it THREE injured RBs in the squad. Maybe Kane will be fit enough for the bench.

Otherwise I don't see why we would make any changes. With 5 subs available, you can easily starting resting players when we're 4-0 again !
  • Options
    I've seen it all before. 

Charlton will take to the field in a nonchalant mood and then proceed to lose 1 0.  :/
  • Options
    Not going to make this game but looking forward to another good win going for a 
    3-1 win to the mighty CAFC Come On You Reds
     B)