Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best left back we’ve ever had?

In the old days I would have said Phil Warman. But there’s only one SCP, surely? In fact this thread will sink as it’s not even a discussion. 

Comments

• Options
    Brian Kinsey
  • Options
    Some might say Hermann or Konchesky. Old gits like me would name check John Hewie or Warman as you've already mentioned. Not that that makes you an old git!!

What I would say is that throughout the 60 years I've followed the Club our left backs have been decent generally.

I think SCP is the best I've seen in all that time so agree with you.
  • Options
    I heard it once claimed that Hewie and Frank Lock was the best full back pairing in the country
  • Options
    I heard it once claimed that Hewie and Frank Lock was the best full back pairing in the country
    Hewie would have played right back in that pairing presumably as I believe Lock was a left back although he was before my time so I might be wrong there.
  • Options
    Mark Reid
    He was pretty good too. And survived a chest-height crash into the Anfield dugout. 
  • Options
    Phil Warman never took prisoners and was a real terrier. Scott Minto has to be up there though too. 
  • Options
    Oh no, how could I have forgotten the lovely Scott? Rumbled. 
  • Options
    Scott
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Hewie would have played right back in that pairing presumably as I believe Lock was a left back although he was before my time so I might be wrong there.

Frank was a top class left back who got a number of representative honours before being sold to Liverpool in the early fifties along with Johnny Evans. Our ex skipper Don Welsh was by then Liverpool manager. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We have had some very tidy left backs but Don Townsend and Mark Reid were my favourites. 
    The best player ever to play left back for us was Eddie Firmani. Made his debut there against Blackburn. I think it was Blackburn. Lol
  • Options
    Can I throw Paul Konchesky into the mix!
  • Options
    edited April 2023

misread the question

no idea if not SCP

the only charlton - england player in my life time

so arguably best player i've ever seen live. 

Best manager as well
  • Options
    the the other thread seems to suggest it is one of the players you watched aged 15-20 
  • Options
    Ben Thatcher
  • Options
    Rhys wiggins 
    Anthony Barness 
    johnnie jackson

were all worthy of a mention
  • Options
    Mark Reid or SCP. 
  • Options
    We’ve had some very good left backs. Mark Reid was a real favourite, but can’t look beyond SCP. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scottie Minto of course
  • Options
    Powelly or Konchesky for me. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023

misread the question

no idea if not SCP

the only charlton - england player in my life time

so arguably best player i've ever seen live. 

Best manager as well
    Luke Young and Paul Konchesky?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Rhys wiggins 
    Anthony Barness 
    johnnie jackson

were all worthy of a mention
    Wiggins in the conversation for Charlton’s best left back  ever

For me it has to be Chris Powell, but honourable mention to Konchesky.
  • Options
    I always liked Mark Reid. I’m not sure how anyone can compare Phil Warman and Brian Kinsey with him; they were both decent but average second division full-backs.
  • Options
    Konchesky? Was terrible at left back, like him as a left midfielder.

my favorite will always be SCP but I really liked Rhoys Wiggins in the 11/12 season. 
  • Options
    Reid, Minto and Powell