Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Coaches not making it to game today

Mentioned in the post match thread but needs its own thread I think.

Joking aside about them being saved, hugely disappointing for those impacted. Whole thing sounded a disaster from leaving too late to enforced driver brakes. Never even made it to the M4.

Know some on the coach who lost their 100% attendance record this season through this. 

Just seems like all aspects relating to the club are failing. 

Comments

• Options

• Options
    Bin the coach company. They know what is required and failed.
  • Options
    Is it not also the case the old bill don't want the coaches down there too early?
  • Options
    Yes 1 driver is cheaper than 2. Normally only need 1 driver if trip is less than 4 hours. Part of the problem is the coaches come from Dover area so driver has already done 1 hour before 1st pick up, that’s without 4 or 5 pickups before leaving.

When we used to run the casc coaches we would agree the pick up times along with the coach company after considering approx journey time plus about 30 minutes for traffic, 45 minute break and aiming to arrive for 2 pm  as police do not like you arriving more than an hour before game (this also gave extra hour for traffic jams)

based on the above and Google maps estimated journey time of 2 1/2 hours I would have suggested to the coach company leaving at the last pick up at 10. We would have then discussed extra traffic due to bank holiday and adjusted accordingly.

The club as the service provider should refund cost of coach and tickets for game as they have provided the service to get supporters to the game on time.

I have never known coach not making it to the game apart from due to coach breaking down. I have known coaches to arrive late (Grimsby 99/00 season arrived about half time due to traffic on Friday afternoon and Everton on a Saturday arrived shortly after ko)
  • Options
    I've used the coaches quite regularly too since the mid 90's and never known one to not arrive either.

At worst we once arrived about 5-10 mins late for a 2-2 draw at Tranmere (mid 90's) and earlier this season we arrived right on kick off for Stevenage. Can also remember getting to Wycombe right on kick off when we won 2-1 (think was 11/12)

The fans affected should definitely get a full refund and some accountability for the coach pick up times so fans can have future confidence in using the service.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2023
    The route taken by the coach is decided by the drivers / coach company. 

In the past they have consulted the coach stewards if they know road works / traffic issues 

looks like today they took the m3 to cut off the m25/m4 section but turned back before reaching the m4

other than going through the city rather than going around the m25 I can’t see what the drivers could have done differently on the day once they had left.
  • Options
    Going through the city wouldn't have been much help, as the M4 was absolutely solid from Brentford back to Earl's Court by noon today. Luckily I was going in the other direction.
  • Options
    Did anyone driving fail to get to the game, due to traffic?
  • Options
    Far be it from me to suggest that a 1 driver gig is cheaper than having 2. Naivety, cluelessness or just plain disregard 
    The whole lot mate.
  • Options
    Were both coaches late? I assume so.
  • Options
    SE9toDA2 said:
    Yes 1 driver is cheaper than 2. Normally only need 1 driver if trip is less than 4 hours. Part of the problem is the coaches come from Dover area so driver has already done 1 hour before 1st pick up, that’s without 4 or 5 pickups before leaving.

When we used to run the casc coaches we would agree the pick up times along with the coach company after considering approx journey time plus about 30 minutes for traffic, 45 minute break and aiming to arrive for 2 pm  as police do not like you arriving more than an hour before game (this also gave extra hour for traffic jams)

based on the above and Google maps estimated journey time of 2 1/2 hours I would have suggested to the coach company leaving at the last pick up at 10. We would have then discussed extra traffic due to bank holiday and adjusted accordingly.

The club as the service provider should refund cost of coach and tickets for game as they have provided the service to get supporters to the game on time.

I have never known coach not making it to the game apart from due to coach breaking down. I have known coaches to arrive late (Grimsby 99/00 season arrived about half time due to traffic on Friday afternoon and Everton on a Saturday arrived shortly after ko)

SE9toDA2 said:

I have never known coach not making it to the game apart from due to coach breaking down. I have known coaches to arrive late (Grimsby 99/00 season arrived about half time due to traffic on Friday afternoon and Everton Hour before kick off with a bar at the ground, 
  • Options
    That Grimsby game was unreal, being phoned up left right and centre to get the kick off delayed was fun. Forest on yellow day with the shunt wasn't too clever either. More annoying that some 100 per cent records have gone than anything else due to ineptitude 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2023
    SE9toDA2 said:
    The route taken by the coach is decided by the drivers / coach company. 

In the past they have consulted the coach stewards if they know road works / traffic issues 

looks like today they took the m3 to cut off the m25/m4 section but turned back before reaching the m4

other than going through the city rather than going around the m25 I can’t see what the drivers could have done differently on the day once they had left.
    Easy answer is to use a coach company a lot closer to home. If the coach driver has to use 1 hour of his allotted "hours" just getting to the 1st pick up point then thats bonkers. Must be a local coach company that could he used. We are only talking about a couple of coaches not 20 like we took to Old Trafford fgs.
    Doesn't solve the problem that people need picking up all the way up the 'line' from larkfield to Dartford. Unless you make it less pick up points. I have used the coaches for away games in 20 years. Used to use the well hall pick up with my mates as a teenager. 
  • Options
    Surely the coaches should plan to arrive at least 3 hours before kick off at the grounds! Surely most would like to be in the pub by midday?
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Surely the coaches should plan to arrive at least 3 hours before kick off at the grounds! Surely most would like to be in the pub by midday?
    You would think as a minimum. My son drove to this from his Uni in Bournemouth and decided it was best to leave early as there were warnings.
  • Options
    Haven't heard of anyone not making it. Despite us not having a 100 supporters from the coaches in the ground yesterday the terrace was crowded so i assume most did make it
  • Options
    How is this the club's fault?
    I said ‘relating to the club’. Not saying it’s specifically the clubs fault but it negotiates suppliers and contracts, for a service carrying its supporters, it effectively runs the service (which I think from the outside it seems to do poorly), and along with determining pricing it must negotiate or (at least influence) coach departure times.  

Coaches not leaving until 10.30 to the West Country on a Bank Holiday getaway day, when the drivers have to take an enforced 45 min stop, looked to me like they had very little leeway for trouble, don’t you think? And so it proved. 
    !0.35 start was madness on a Bank Holiday. So I am inclined to agree with you.
  • Options
    We left E. Sussex at 7.15am, drivng to Bristol via the A21, M25 & M4 with a 15 minute stop for the loo & a quick coffee.

As we left the Services on the M4, there was slow progress for a few miles but we arrived & parked up at 11.15. 

Luckily no major holdups or incidents en route but forward & sensible planning was all that was required.

Just seen on FB that one of our most faithful Addicks missed the match due to the negligency of the coach driver/coach company, along with her 2 sons, the younger celebrating his birthday. The lads were distraught understandably and their Mum seething.

Not a great day, football wise for those of us in attendance but nothing compared to those who didn't make it. 
    How was the A21 Fanny? Where are you from?
  • Options
    Isn't one of the usual standing jokes on CL about how early  the coaches depart. The Larkfield coach leaving 2 days before the match etc, so this is surprising and disappointing scenario.

• Options
    When I worked in this area, we’d negotiate with the clubs re coach times.
    The ‘old bill don’t like coaches being over an hour early’ certainly wasn’t our mantra.
    There was always somewhere we could put the coaches safely if they turned up early. It’s part of any football policing plan (well it was).
    I wouldn’t have been happy with these coach pick up times if I’d been at any planning meeting.
    I really feel for the supporters here.