Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jethro Tull

2»

Comments

• Options
    Saw them last year in Shepherds Bush and thought the band were the tightest line-up I'd ever seen. The Headmaster's voice having gone is heart-broken as his lyrics and vocals were some of the best in the business. Still great to see them though even without MB on Lead. Hope he's recovered from his fall.
  • Options
    Just been listening to their first album and can't believe how bluesy it is. 

He did talk about not being good enough to play the guitar like Clapton but maybe he thought he could emulate his band, Cream, instead?
    Don't forget on the first album Mick Abrahams was the guitar player and also a strong personality with a big say in the direction of the band.
    Anderson had to win that battle and bin Abrahams to allow his own ideas to dominate.
    Abrahams was the blues man
    Yes, of course and naturally they were still finding their groove.

Actually was it you  @Six-a-bag-of-nuts I was talking to about JT a number of months ago, I think you said you were a big fan?
  • Options
    Saw them last year in Shepherds Bush and thought the band were the tightest line-up I'd ever seen. The Headmaster's voice having gone is heart-broken as his lyrics and vocals were some of the best in the business. Still great to see them though even without MB on Lead. Hope he's recovered from his fall.
    That's a good way of putting it, I think that's what I felt because in his pomp he was a great front man.
  • Options
    Never heard much Jethro Tull (apart from Living in the Past), but Martin Barre wrote a column in a guitar magazine I used to read...it was my favourite part of the Mag, he passed on some good stuff but best of all he was the grumpiest of grumpy old men. One column ended with a couple of chord boxes and an instruction to "look them up if you're interested in what they are!"
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Just been listening to their first album and can't believe how bluesy it is. 

He did talk about not being good enough to play the guitar like Clapton but maybe he thought he could emulate his band, Cream, instead?
    Don't forget on the first album Mick Abrahams was the guitar player and also a strong personality with a big say in the direction of the band.
    Anderson had to win that battle and bin Abrahams to allow his own ideas to dominate.
    Abrahams was the blues man
    Yes, of course and naturally they were still finding their groove.

Actually was it you  @Six-a-bag-of-nuts I was talking to about JT a number of months ago, I think you said you were a big fan?
    Might have been mate, I have a memory like a sieve.
    Wouldn't claim to be a JT fanatic, but I did get into them early. I bought the "Love Story" single in 1968, the year before they broke big. I have about 15 albums
    Somehow I managed not to see them 'live' in the 70's or 80's.  I really regret that.
    Finally caught up with them live in the noughties and then again a couple of years back and neither gig was very enjoyable for different reasons.
    My wife, who is 10 years younger than me had very different musical tastes to me when we met, but we somehow found a common ground with "Broadsword and the Beast", so that one has a special place for me.
    I still think "Stand Up" is my favourite though, which was the first JT album I bought.
    Edit: Also my daughter (32) has a Jethro Tull playlist on her spotify account, which was due to my influence, so I am quite chuffed at that!

• Options
    15 Albums, I didn’t realise they’d released that many, that’s good going and good that you were able to encourage youngsters to get into the groove.

Good music hopefully transcends generations.