Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Autobiographies of players who have played for Charlton.

edited April 2023 in General Charlton
Does anybody have a definitive list of Charlton past and maybe present players/managers /coaches/ famous fans etc who have penned books.
I have a total of 38 with another three I know of. 

Comments

• Options
    With that many in your collection, it looks like you are the one to start the list, Acab...  
  • Options
    Be interested to see your list @Acab

The museum has a library of various books, handbooks etc which we need to catalogue but @Carl Leaburn 's excellent  flicker account (above) is a good start.

We've cataloguing our programmes and match tickets but have done our fanzines.

We also working on the dozens of scrapbooks we have thanks to some fantastic volunteers.
  • Options

The museum has a library of various books, handbooks etc which we need to catalogue but @Carl Leaburn 's excellent  flicker account (above) is a good start.

We also working on the dozens of scrapbooks we have thanks to some fantastic volunteers.

With that many in your collection, it looks like you are the one to start the list,
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    The Vigor Jacobson book , which we have in the museum , is worth a read. If you can read Danish !
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Some books that mention us although we are not the main target audience.

Eamon Dunphy - Rocky Road

Terry Naylor - Nutter Naylor Spurs Terrace Favourite 

Ronnie Moore - Born to be a Miller.

Ralph Milne - What's It All about Ralphie?

A Greater Glory - Gavin Peacock

How not to be a Football Millionaire - Keith Gillespie

Memories of a failed footballer and a crap journalist - Paul Hince.

There's Only One Neil Redfearn - Neil Redfearn 

It's only banter - Leroy Rosenoir 

• Options
    The Vigor Jacobson book , which we have in the museum , is worth a read. If you can read Danish !
    I prefer Viggo Jacobsen’s book
  • Options
    Acab said:

With that many in your collection, it looks like you are the one to start the list,
    My goodness. I’ve never seen anybody emboss paper when writing more than I but you’ve absolutely nailed it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've asked Chat GPT to produce a list of books written by former Charlton players. 

I think some of them will prove very difficult to track down. 

Can you please provide a list of books written by former Charlton Athletic players, with a brief description of each

Certainly! Here is a list of books written by former Charlton Athletic players, along with a brief description of each:

"Tales from the Boot Camps" by Derek Hales - This book tells the story of Derek Hales' time at Charlton Athletic, including his experiences in the club's infamous boot camps.

"Addicks Downunder" by Mike Bailey - Mike Bailey's memoir about his time as a player and coach at Charlton Athletic, as well as his experiences playing and coaching in Australia.

"Parkinson's Law" by Curbishley and Tanner - Alan Curbishley and Ray Tanner share their experiences managing Charlton Athletic during the 1990s and 2000s, including their promotion to the Premier League.

"The Keeper" by Rob Elliot - Rob Elliot's autobiography about his career as a goalkeeper, which included a stint at Charlton Athletic.

"The Valley Of Dreams" by Rick Everitt - A comprehensive history of Charlton Athletic, from the club's formation to the present day, written by Rick Everitt, the editor of the fanzine Voice of The Valley.

"Valley of Tears" by Stephen King - Stephen King's memoir about his time as a Charlton Athletic fan, including the club's ups and downs on and off the field.

"Striker!" by Bob Curtis - Bob Curtis' autobiography, which covers his career as a player and manager at various clubs, including Charlton Athletic.

"From Charlton to Monte Carlo" by Derek Ufton - Derek Ufton's autobiography about his career as a player and manager, which included a stint at Charlton Athletic.

"Rebel Rebel: My Life" by Dean Saunders - Dean Saunders' autobiography about his career as a footballer, which included a brief loan spell at Charlton Athletic.

"Charlton Athletic: A History" by Clive Harris - Another comprehensive history of Charlton Athletic, written by Clive Harris, a former club historian.
  • Options
    Jimmy Seed, Sam Bartram and Eddie Firmani in a box set, published start of this century ish, brilliant reads
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I've asked Chat GPT to produce a list of books written by former Charlton players. 

Can you please provide a list of books written by former Charlton Athletic players, with a brief description of each

Certainly! Here is a list of books written by former Charlton Athletic players, along with a brief description of each:

"Tales from the Boot Camps" by Derek Hales - This book tells the story of Derek Hales' time at Charlton Athletic, including his experiences in the club's infamous boot camps.

"Addicks Downunder" by Mike Bailey - Mike Bailey's memoir about his time as a player and coach at Charlton Athletic, as well as his experiences playing and coaching in Australia.

"Parkinson's Law" by Curbishley and Tanner - Alan Curbishley and Ray Tanner share their experiences managing Charlton Athletic during the 1990s and 2000s, including their promotion to the Premier League.

"The Keeper" by Rob Elliot - Rob Elliot's autobiography about his career as a goalkeeper, which included a stint at Charlton Athletic.

"The Valley Of Dreams" by Rick Everitt - A comprehensive history of Charlton Athletic, from the club's formation to the present day, written by Rick Everitt, the editor of the fanzine Voice of The Valley.

"Valley of Tears" by Stephen King - Stephen King's memoir about his time as a Charlton Athletic fan, including the club's ups and downs on and off the field.

"Striker!" by Bob Curtis - Bob Curtis' autobiography, which covers his career as a player and manager at various clubs, including Charlton Athletic.

"From Charlton to Monte Carlo" by Derek Ufton - Derek Ufton's autobiography about his career as a player and manager, which included a stint at Charlton Athletic.

"Rebel Rebel: My Life" by Dean Saunders - Dean Saunders' autobiography about his career as a footballer, which included a brief loan spell at Charlton Athletic.

"Charlton Athletic: A History" by Clive Harris - Another comprehensive history of Charlton Athletic, written by Clive Harris, a former club historian.
    I don't recall Dean Saunders being on loan with us. 
  • Options
    I think Chizz is somebody who thinks he’s funny.
  • Options
    Acab said:

Must have taken Alan Mullery ages to come up with the title for his autobiography!
  • Options
    How to steal a living-By Christophe Lepoint

• Options
    If we are going passing mentions, Reggie krays "a way of life" mentions Charlton because Reggie is friends with Alan Curbishleys brother 
  • Options
    Might have missed it in the lists above, but I’m pretty sure John Barnes has an autobiography.
  • Options
    I would imagine that any books about rock music would mention the who concerts and Elton John at Charlton.
  • Options
    What about Charlie Connelly.
    Many miles - A season following Charlton Athletic.

Nick Hornby mentions a match between Arsenal and Charlton in 1986 in Fever Pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is Left Foot Forward by Garry Nelson the best football biography of all time?

Certainly up there in the top ten along with Full Time by Tony Cascarino.

Well worth a read if you have not done so already. 
  • Options

Managing for Dummies - Ian Dowie , my favourite 

• Options
    Only A Game is a terrific book. 
  • Options
    Lenny Glover's book is meant to be a great read.
  • Options
    Ron Saunders played for us and managed Villa. 

• Options
    Ron Saunders played for us and managed Villa. 

Wrote a book but no idea if we get a mention. 
  • Options
    Kips said:
    Chizz said:

I don't recall Dean Saunders being on loan with us. 
    This is a genuine response from ChatGPT. I'm not sure any of the books actually exist. 
  • Options
    Acab said:
    I think Chizz is somebody who thinks he’s funny.
    I posted the response because I thought it was both strange and amusing. If you don't agree, I can only apologise.