Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stupid question. The front foot

I hear this all the time, playing on the front foot... what the fuck does it mean? We've only got two feet... 

ready for the ridicule, go for it.... 

Comments

• Options
    I take it as mean pushing forward and always using the front foot
  • Options
    Imagine a sprinter, in order to get off the starting blocks they have to start their run on the front foot. 

i.e to get ahead of the opposition you have to get on the front foot
  • Options
    Or cricket when batting is another good analogy. Take it to the opposition rather than passively sitting back

• Options
    Correct! it is a fairly stupid question.😉
  • Options
    Jake The Peg Original - Rolf Harris Great Great Uncle
  • Options
    WHAddick said:
    Or cricket when batting is another good analogy. Take it to the opposition rather than passively sitting back

Sport analogy in general OTHER than football really. A tennis player who is driving forwards playing at the net, a boxer who is pressing forward and applying pressure etc.

• Options
    Yeah, I always thought it was a cricket one. If you're looking to score runs you're moving forward towards the bowler. An action that demands you put your weight on the front foot. Other cricket based sayings include, being caught out, being knocked for six, being stumped and having a good innings.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Perfect striker for Dean to sign in the Summer ?
  • Options
    It’s the opposite to the back foot.
  • Options
    WHAddick said:

Silly
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    WHAddick said:

Silly
    Mid on
  • Options
    First coined by Northampton Town FC.
  • Options
    Which foot, is the front foot?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    If he does a few stepovers his legs will be in knots.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Chizz said:
    Nightmare for our treatment table...
  • Options
    I thought it was more of a military term. In marching you have to start off from the front foot. 
  • Options
    Can I be the first to say......

NONCE  !!!
  • Options
    Also a boxing term 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Yeah, I always thought it was a cricket one. If you're looking to score runs you're moving forward towards the bowler. An action that demands you put your weight on the front foot. Other cricket based sayings include, being caught out, being knocked for six, being stumped and having a good innings.
    Yeah, it originates from cricket. 

If you're on the front foot you are moving forward to attack the ball, which means you have less time to play the shot. Conversely being on the back foot is often seen as more defensive because it gives you more time to watch and play the ball.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As the OP says, we only have two feet so there is no front foot. However I think that we say it to our players because they play a lot of the time like donkeys.
  • Options
    Take a step forward - which ever foot is in front of the other is your front foot. Take another step and the other one will become your front foot. There's no magic involved there no permanent assignment as to which is front or back. It's that simple.
  • Options
    Slow day in Oz Tel?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Take a step forward - which ever foot is in front of the other is your front foot. Take another step and the other one will become your front foot. There's no magic involved there no permanent assignment as to which is front or back. It's that simple.
    I wouldn't bother. Some people are either too thick or too obstinate to listen to a reasonable explanation. 
  • Options
    Slow day in Oz Tel?
    Every fking day is a slow day here mate.

Thanks @Off_it for the explanation.