Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ipswich Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 15th April 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off | Match Preview

Ipswich Town vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 15th April 2023 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Sam Barrott

Introduction
Scouring the Internet at work the other day, as you do, I came across a graph which "showed" Charlton as having the fifth easiest run of games between now and the end of the season - Something worth taking into consideration for the SMT when results look impressive, as Louis Mendez said in a recent article; "We've been here before" - However fixtures dont get much harder than this one, a relatively short trip up the A12 this Saturday, promotion chasing Ipswich Town await.

The Opposition
Name: Ipswich Town (3rd) | Manager: Kieran McKenna
Ground: Portman Road
Previous League Result: Cheltenham 1-1 Ipswich

The Vegas of League One? - Ipswich really have thrown all their chips into one big gamble, hoping for a quick result... Only for it to fail first time around - They and Wigan were the big spenders in this Division twelve months ago, for the former it was their first time in the third tier since 1957, so Ipswich went and purchased their way out of League (nothing wrong with that provided it works, dont expect sympathy if it doesnt)... Unfortunately it failed in spectaculor fashion, so I guess just try again... Even now with the Tractor Boys sitting in third place, its not exactly gone to plan, yet they do sit just two points, and a game in hand behind leaders: Sheffield Wednesday.

Ipswich understandably come into this game with form, their game on Easter Monday ended in a draw at struggling Cheltenham Town, yet the goal they conceded was the first since the 11th February, nine clean sheets in a row, pushed the Tractor Boys right back into contention for the automatic spots, and will be looking to return to winning ways tomorrow for sure - Charlton head to Portman Road tomorrow with just the one win there in five visits - Our opponents appear unhappy with the choice of Match Referee for this clash, they should be more concerned about keeping a two goal lead in injury time against this lot from SE7!!

Charlton Team News
The name Leaburn is of course slightly infamous in their corner of Suffolk - The Addicks visited Portman Road in 1995 running out 5-1 winners, Carl Leaburn scoring a hat-trick that day as Charlton ran riot - Miles of course has had a stellar season, yet his campaign has also been disrupted with injury - The youngster missed our 3-2 win ove Burton Albion on Monday, yet could be back in contention for tomorrow's clash.

Elsewhere and we saw a return to action for both Mandela Egbo and Todd Kane on Monday, both could once again be involved against Ipswich, although you'd expect Terrell Thomas to keep his spot at Left-Back - Both Albie Morgan and Macauley Bonne have impressed these last few games, with players now looking to secure their futures at this cut throat time of the year.

Maynard-Brewer
Egbo - Hector - Inniss - Thomas
Morgan - Dobson - Fraser
Rak-Sakyi - Bonne - Campbell

Substitutes Bench: Wollacott - Kane - Mitchell - Henry -  Kanu - Leaburn - Kilkenny

Comments

• Options
    Let's get this one out of the way quickly and move on (forecasting a 3-0 defeat).  Try not to pick up any injuries or red cards and focus on a winning streak to end the season.

COYA!

• Options
    1-5 Leaburn hatrick....if his fit.
  • Options
    If I was Holden, i would be looking forward to this game as a learning experience for next season. Ipswich are the level we want to be at and how far away are we from them and where are the biggest gaps?
  • Options
    If I was Holden, i would be looking forward to this game as a learning experience for next season. Ipswich are the level we want to be at and how far away are we from them and where are the biggest gaps?
    What if we win and they have a bad day at the office?

We will learn nothing from the run in other than which players earn a space next season. 
  • Options
    That is the learning I am referring to.
  • Options
    All we're learning is come the end of the season, players will put more effort in because they want to prove they should be part of the next

When the season comes round though - That effort we've been seeing at this time of the year drops off a cliff

Last ten games, last three years - Repeat and Recycle...

Given our remaining four games after Ipswich, there is no reason why we shouldnt equal or better the last ten games from last season

2022-23: W3 | D1 | L1
    2021-22: W6 | D1 | L3
    2020-21: W5 | D4 | L1
  • Options
    They completely schooled us last season away. I think it was the final nail in Jacko's reign.
  • Options
    If we get a point, we will have done a good job. If we win, I'll eat my hat (seeks bakers selling cakes in the shape of a hat, just in case).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we get a point, we will have done a good job. If we win, I'll eat my hat (seeks bakers selling cakes in the shape of a hat, just in case).

No one will cap that for celebrating our win
  • Options
    Sam Barrott is the new Referee for this match... Still from Yorkshire though lol!

Was in charge of our match @ Port Vale earlier in the season when we lost 1-0, so missed the incident that saw Stockley getting the retrospective red card.

Been in charge of two Ipswich games this season, both of which they drew
  • Options
    50% chance Ipswich spank us
    40% they win comfortably
    8% some sort of draw
    2% CAFC win -in this case 100% chance JRS scores
    1 in 14 million for 4-4 draw so that's what I'm going for
    1 in 28 billion Macauley Bonne continues his scoring run
    (that adds up to marginally over 100%)
  • Options
    Swap our midfields and we’d have a chance. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    KettsJohn said:
    Looking forward to a 40 minutes train journey to Ipswich from Norwich with 8;year old grandson. Should be good atmosphere. Just hope we don't roll over. I think Ipswich will beat us comfortably but you live in hope. I was at the Leaburn hatrick game all those years ago. It was my son's first away game. He was 8. Omen?
    What year was that?
  • Options
    Not sure if this is the best place to flag this up, or if a thread has already been created but I've been made aware of problems on the A12 tomorrow for those driving to Ipswich.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex

Looks OK for the journey there but closures on the return.
  • Options
    All logic says we should be beaten easily, but there is no logic with Charlton so I think this could be a very surprising Charlton victory. Our cause will be helped if Leaburn is fit. Bonne did well against Burton, but I think Leaburn will be more of a handful for Ipswich.

Shame Matt Penney is ineligible 🤣
  • Options
    TRAVEL WARNING 

The A12 between Galleywood/Billericay to Mountnessing (approx 10 miles) will be closed from  7.30pm to 6.00am each night over the weekend.

Anyone driving back from Ipswich to the Dartford Bridge should avoid this area, during these hours.

I would turn off the A12 at the Howe Green Interchange and take the 2nd exit onto the A130.

Drive for approximately 10 miles on the A130, then take a slight left onto the A1245 which leads you on to the A127.
    The A127 will take you directly to the M25 at junction 29.
  • Options
    COYR 
  • Options
    they will be desperate for the 3 points to keep up the auto spot chase .. could leave them a bit vulnerable on the break ? .. whatever, I think this will be a very good tight game .. few of ours (and probably theirs) also playing for a next season contract

Ipswich Town 2 v CAFC 2
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have a great record at Portman Road almost on a par with Fratton Park but sadly won’t be there tomorrow and will be enjoying the A13 Derby of Southend v Dagenham as my youngest is training there before the match

Can’t see past a defeat but if we frustrate them and the crowd get humpy you never know, all the pressure on Ipswich 

Need Ipswich Sheff Wed and Derby out of this league asap so we have at least half a chance next season 
  • Options
    It will be just like this bunch of underachieving, inconsistent rank journeymen to pull off a result.  So Charlton, I feel one of those pyrrhic victories coming on, "oh, we played so well at ____________ that season, they went up though and we stayed in this crappy league..."
  • Options
    Memories  of  4 v 4  from years gone by.
    Peake, Morts  , Dyer and Tommy ( R.I.P ) 
    Take the same score but sadly going for 3 v 1 defeat. Hot shot Bonne from close range.
  • Options
    Not so long ago as Ipswich dropped into then abyss of L1 they looked not too disimilar to our lot. Dwindling crowds and losing games. Then along comes a new owner with a pension investment fund and spending lots of cash. Wins and capacity crowds follow. I think of the top 3 they will go up. Shame as I dislike their arrogant manager and the inbred families who spent all last seasons away game having a pop at the away end. 3-0 Ipswich, we are miles from the top 6.
  • Options
    We’ll do well to lose by just a couple goals 
  • Options
    We will hold our heads high, with good vocal support from a team who are going nowhere. Ipswich fans will go there but for the grace of god we are as shit as this lot…… But, bloody hell they have support they really don’t deserve….
  • Options
    While Ipswich spent a lot of money in the summer of 2021 and it didn't deliver promotion, if McKenna has been in charge the whole season they probably would have gone up, the way things turned around when he took over.

Better squads, with better players in 95% of seasons, do better.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Memories  of  4 v 4  from years gone by.
    Peake, Morts  , Dyer and Tommy ( R.I.P ) 
    Take the same score but sadly going for 3 v 1 defeat. Hot shot Bonne from close range.
    Cup 81 Les Berry head injury.

Play off Colin Walsh penalty miss

Over Christmas Caton penalty last minute.

Carl Leaburn Hat-Trick 1-5

Bagheri plays his few minutes for Charlton.

2023 Hero anybody’s guess but the day out is one of the best.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Not sure if the article I read quoting Conor Chaplin's generous view on Charlton is a bluff or a double bluff.  He won't have said it to booster our chances that's for sure.

Ipswich Town star Conor Chaplin is of the view that Charlton Athletic’s league position is false as the players in the Addicks squad are quality performers.

I don't think we've got enough for this one, 3-1 to the home side.
  • Options
    Looking forward to another good win going for a 2-1 win to
    The mighty CAFC Come On You Reds  B)