Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doggy Bags 🐕 🎒

Just wondering what people think of them. I would never ask for one. Three reasons,  I think it looks needy, I think it’s insulting that you couldn't finish the meal in the first place and I think it places a burden on already busy kitchen staff. Mrs Stig, on the other hand always asks for them. She says I'm a snob and it's wasteful to not have one. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    I never ask for one, but that is more to do with not wanting to eat food cooked the day before. 

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Ah, I thought you were talking about the other doggy 💼 I never leave home without them and would ask for one if I’ve forgotten to bring mine out.
  • Options
    I think Mrs Stig is right.
    I had an afternoon tea at Fortnum and Masons as a birthday treat.
    As well as the huge construction of stuff, there were lovely cakes like rich fruit cakes displayed around the room, and apparently slices of those were included.
    Anyway it was all too much to eat so I asked for a doggy bag, they were well used to it and had special boxes and containers and such especially for the purpose, so we asked for them for our uneaten finger sandwiches, and huge wedges of cake as well as the leftover pastries, the staff didn't bat an eyelid and filled our bags up to the brim.
    Mind you I don't recommend afternoon tea there, because the actual tea was gnats piss awful.
  • Options
    Never ask for one as I always leave it in the train/cab/car/bar afterwards. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    What a strange post. How is it needy if you’ve paid for the meal? And how is it your fault if you can’t finish it?
  • Options
    don't see a problem with it whatsoever. 

you paid for the food. you at that time can't eat all of it, you get to take the rest home.
    sometimes when limited on money its very useful as it means "yeah i might of spent a bit to be able to go out but at least i can make another dinner of it the following day."
  • Options
    I never have or would ask for one.
  • Options
    Only ever done it once & was a fancy restaurant with lovely pastries that we couldn't eat but had paid for.

Wouldnt do it for a main course (curry etc) but for a dessert I dont see a problem. 

But like others I thought the thread was about poo bags......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Two of us ordered some kind of meat and dumpling meal in Nuremburg last year, which was simply enormous. Pork, duck, lamb, sausages, dumplings, potatoes and cabbage - all delicious but one portion would have served us both with some to spare, and my mate can really eat. Would have been so wasteful just to leave what we couldnt finish on the night, so we asked for a doggy bag which they were clearly used to providing. Lots of car meat, bob mortimer style, for the next couple of days, but after that the lack of refrigeration starts to become a concern.
    Have oftern done the same in indian restaurants when the over-ordering goes too far. I've disciplined myself not to order rice nowadays, just stick with naan for carbs.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Once went to a restaurant and asked for a doggy bag, we were promptly quoted the company spiel of, " We can take no responsibility for food consumed after it leaves the premisis"...company protocol apparently, thing is we wouldn't have eaten it anyway, it was for the foxes and birds when we got home...they loved it... :D 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Just wondering what people think of them. I would never ask for one. Three reasons,  I think it looks needy, I think it’s insulting that you couldn't finish the meal in the first place and I think it places a burden on already busy kitchen staff. Mrs Stig, on the other hand always asks for them. She says I'm a snob and it's wasteful to not have one. What do you think?
    Sounds like me & my wife.
  • Options
    Don’t think my dog would enjoy carrying a bag, especially with the amount of crap we carry around.
  • Options
    Always (if the food is untouched). Why not, it's paid for and we should be avoiding food waste. Restaurants don't mind and are happy to provide containers. 

Left over pizza / curry / chinese etc make a great cold breakfast the next day.
    You’re joking aren’t you.  Makes me want to throw up the very thought of it.
  • Options
    Word of warning to those planning to reheat takeaways, be very careful with rice. My wife got food positing from reheating rice, she suffered really badly (the most Ill I’ve ever seen her). She was initially referred to a tropical disease unit as we’d not long got back from the far east. Make sure you refrigerate it as soon as it’s cooled down, it can develop harmful bacteria at room temperature.
  • Options
    jeesh how tight must you be to even consider it, just order less!
  • Options
    Quite common in the USA but that's no surprise with the size of there portions.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    For some reason, I think it is ok with Pizza but wouldn't for anything else. Probably as it is nice cold.
  • Options
    the only time I have ever asked for one is if something has stopped me eating my food (like when the kids were younger if I was feeding the baby so their mum could eat) otherwise, if I'm finished with it I'm finished with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bear in mind most "meals" in restaurants, if you work out calorie content etc. are the equivalent of a whole days recommended intake. Me and the wife went for an afternoon tea in a 5 star hotel last year and adding up everything that was given to us it came out at over 7000 calories! 

In a world of gross consumption and waste, the fools are the ones who order huge meals and then let it go to waste. Order less, or bag it up and take it with you
  • Options
    Word of warning to those planning to reheat takeaways, be very careful with rice. My wife got food positing from reheating rice, she suffered really badly (the most Ill I’ve ever seen her). She was initially referred to a tropical disease unit as we’d not long got back from the far east. Make sure you refrigerate it as soon as it’s cooled down, it can develop harmful bacteria at room temperature.
    Was it just me who started reading that and thought "this is gonna be good", but found themselves disappointed at the absence of  sexually - related pun?

Must try harder Mr Mehmet (fnar fnar!) 
  • Options
    Some meals come up bigger than you expect if you have never been there before so you can't order less. I'd take it home and have it as nibbles for that evening or the next day.
  • Options
    If we have left over meat (ie from a Sunday roast) we ask for a doggie bag literally so that we can give the meat to the dog.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    If you aren't willing to take it home the staff should stand over you like your mum until you've finished it.  (I remember as a 7 year old sitting over a portion of cold mashed swede for what seemed like hours but was probably 30 minutes).

More seriously it seems perverse to leave edible food to go in the bin at a time when people are struggling with the cost of living and we are becoming more aware of the ecological cost of food production, not to mention if someone is going to kill and cook an animal for me to eat the least I can do is eat the poor fucker.