Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players playing out of their usual position for Charlton

I'm talking about players that played in an unfamiliar position at kick-off or for a lengthy part of a game. I'm not referring to a goalkeeper that comes up for a corner in added time. A few come to mind, although they give my age away a bit. The most famous was probably John Hewie playing three games in goal. I remember the one against Plymouth Argyle that we won 3-1. I also remember he wore a purple shirt that day, changing from the standard green of those days because of the colour clash. Over to you with plenty more, I suspect. Here are my ones.

John Hewie - goalkeeper
Mike Kenning - left back
Paul Went - centre forward
Billy Bonds - centre half
Cliff Myers - if I remember correctly played left back one week and outside right the next, but I may be making that up, one of the appearances may have been for the Reserves.

Comments

• Options
    Jackson joining on loan to cover left back.
  • Options
    It's difficult with some young players to know exactly what their actual position is, but Maatsen a left back playing as a right sided winger/wide attacker is certainly something which wouldn't have happened in the old days!

Or Paul Smyth playing at right wing back.
  • Options
    Didnt Phil Chapple play upfront for a game?
    Also morts was deployed as a sweeper.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I think when Gordon Watson was developing, Curbs played him in a central midfield role in reserve matches to help him understand and experience how a forward making the correct runs into channels etc made it easier for the cm to distribute.
  • Options
    I think you're right
  • Options
    Twice if iirc. Sunderland away was one of the games. 
  • Options
    Matt penny (I think that's his name), played as a footballer this season
  • Options
    chris solly playing centre mid for a time. Kishishev joining as a right back and moving to centre mid. Wagstaff playing left wing. Jon fortune was a centre forward if memory serves but moved to CB in the academy. Chris powell playing centre mid in his last ever game for us like he should've been playing there his whole career.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2023
  • Options
    As well as Ronnie Moore who I thought was a better centre back for us than a forward. Arthur Horsfield spent most of the 1974/75 promotion season as a number 5.

Both men literally moved positions week by week depending on who else was available. Not sure that current number 5's and 9's are as easily interchangable although it is ironic I have felt that we missed Jayden Stockley as a defensive presence at corners but not in his main position up front.
  • Options
    Marcus Tudgay playing as an out an out striker in the FA Cup Vs Sheffield United
  • Options
    Too many pretending to play as a Footballer 
  • Options
    the definitive one ? .. John Hewie playing in goal 
  • Options
    Dennis Edwards at 'left half' .. v Leeds, also missed a penalty in that game
  • Options
    Don Macalister signed as a center back ending up playing in midfield.
    Mark Aislewood and Harry Cripps signed as full backs again played midfield.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Arthur Horsfield .. striker turned central defender .. or in old money, from centre forward to centre half
  • Options
    Chuks A&Eke temporarily leaving his billet in the physios room
  • Options
    Billy Kiernan regular left winger moved to wing half as he got older. Only 5 ft 5 but boy could he climb to head the ball.
    Showing my age. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember Macauley Bonne playing up front a few times when everyone could see he would be a magnificent tea boy
  • Options
    Billy Kiernan regular left winger moved to wing half as he got older. Only 5 ft 5 but boy could he climb to head the ball.
    Showing my age. 
    Of course Brian Kinsey moved from outside left to left back.
  • Options
    Bob Curtis played midfield for a while at the back end of one of the season's circa 1970............. and scored a few too
  • Options
    I think Chapple played upfront away to Wolves.
  • Options
    Killer in goal, after Tutt got injured.
  • Options
    Paul Mortimer played centre half away against Wimbledon on Boxing Day one year.
  • Options
    Also played up front at a home game too, cannot remember the opposition though. 
  • Options
    Steve Brown ( goalkeeper )  after Andy Petersons red card that glorious day at Villa Park.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    cafc999 said:
    Also played up front at a home game too, cannot remember the opposition though. 
    Bolton November  1994 but went back to centre half when Leaburn replaced McLeary at the start of the second half