Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best pub for food pre game ?

Hi - someone from work is going on Saturday with his teenage son.
Not Charlton fans, just want to watch a game - they are looking for suggestions for a pub for pre-match food

They are coming from Maidstone via Ebbsfleet if that makes any difference

thanks all

Comments

• Options
    Wetherspoons in Woolwich.
    If you want to slum it try Blackheath.
  • Options
    Valley Cafe obvs.
  • Options
    Anchor and Hope
  • Options
    Anchor and hope
  • Options
    Stay in Maidstone, have a pie and watch a decent game! ;)
  • Options
    Is Bartram’s still a diner? 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Is Bartram’s still a diner? 
    Did it ever open on non matchdays when it first opened?  I seem to remember that being advertised.
  • Options
    muppetman said:
    Stay in Maidstone, have a pie and watch a decent game! ;)
    they are Maidstone season ticket holders
  • Options
    Greenwich would be my choice.
  • Options
    Anchor and Hope.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pelton Arms, treat yourself. Close to Maze Hill station. That or The Crown, again near Maze Hill station. Both have good food and beer. 
  • Options
    I agree with The Crown; it has good pizzas and a great choice of beer.
  • Options
    The Plume by Maze Hill Station does good pub food, as does The Dog & Bell in Deptford
  • Options
    Get in early, valley cafe,then stroll on down to the Royal Oak. 
  • Options
    Anchor and Hope.
  • Options
    Anchor and hope has a Pizza Hut stall, the seafood stall and a decent pub menu as well.

Plume used to be fantastic food (ditto Cutty Sark) now on a par with the apolitical. Decent but not amazing. 
  • Options
    I met my Wycombe mate in the Dial Arch in Woolwich before the game in March, not the cheapest but the food was very good. 
  • Options
    Just beware that the Anchor and Hope is likely to be fairly stacked with away fans if my experience this season is anything to go by. 
  • Options
    Ivy in Blackheath does a decent breakfast.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Ivy in Blackheath does a decent breakfast.
    So does Maggie in Lewisham 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just beware that the Anchor and Hope is likely to be fairly stacked with away fans if my experience this season is anything to go by. 
    For Port Vale?
  • Options
    Two other decent options where the pubs allow customers to order and bring food in from takeaways a few doors down:

- Hardy's at 88 Trafalgar Road, Greenwich (near Maze Hill Station and a place for Guinness enthusiasts) no longer have a food offering but are happy for customers to bring food in from Zaibatsu, a very good Japanese Fusion restaurant, two doors down at 96 Trafalgar Road. I think it's exceptional value, given the quality of its food - http://www.zaibatsufusion.co.uk/

- The River Ale House has a similar arrangement with Castellano's Pizza at 139 Woolwich Rd. You get £1 off if you order from the pub and I think it's £5 for any pizza on Tuesdays.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Blucher said:
    Two other decent options where the pubs allow customers to order and bring food in from takeaways a few doors down:

- Hardy's at 88 Trafalgar Road, Greenwich (near Maze Hill Station and a place for Guinness enthusiasts) no longer have a food offering but are happy for customers to bring food in from Zaibatsu, a very good Japanese Fusion restaurant, two doors down at 96 Trafalgar Road. I think it's exceptional value, given the quality of its food - http://www.zaibatsufusion.co.uk/

- The River Ale House has a similar arrangement with Castellano's Pizza at 139 Woolwich Rd. You get £1 off if you order from the pub and I think it's £5 for any pizza on Tuesdays.
    So you have to go back for your pizza on Tuesday?  :)