Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lennie our Undersung Hero

Just watching the Carlisle game got me thinking  of our 3 promotions up there.My favourite was in 1986.2-0 down and we won 3-2 and carried Lennie around the pitch after the game.That game stands out in the memory as does The Battle of the Bridge,Beating Leeds at St Andrews the stand out other 2 games.Lennie built a wonderful squad and without victory on any of those games…. Well who knows how the story might have been rewritten.
Hopefully we are starting a new chapter for our Wonderful club.But today got me thinking of Lennie

Comments

• Options
    I've met Lennie a few times and he's undersung possibly to do with his personality, which I wouldn't describe as endearing. I accept that I may have got an incorrect impression every time.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Lennie is a Charlton legend.    Very easy to forget what he had to work with and what he achieved.     Great times.  
  • Options
    I used to srr him in Bibas in Bromley back in the day.
    A true Charlton legend.
    As Covered End says he wasn't the easiest to talk to.
  • Options
    He wasn’t the easiest to talk to and I have met him many times.Must have had something about him though in the dressing room to get those teams playing for him in some of our darkest hours 
  • Options
    Yes you have to love Lennie. Without his efforts it's arguable we'd exist now.

NB If Carlisle go up, I'll certainly be looking for an April or May away fixture there. Surely that would make promotion a certainty?  :)
  • Options
    Charlton legend but I believe we weren’t a huge amount more than a job to him. Always seemed a nice guy whenever I’ve met him though.
    Agreed. Don’t think he’s ever been very emotionally attached to us since leaving. Legend nonetheless.
  • Options
    I think the last time I saw Lennie at a supporters club meeting he was promoting his book, possibly autobiography. 
    He couldn't finish one sentence without saying "in the book".
    I felt almost used/dirty at the end.
    No warmth at all, just felt like he wanted your money. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mametz said:
    Irrespective of how he left or how he tried to plug his book, his success in getting us to the top division and keeping us there for four years in the most trying of circumstances were pivotal in keeping Charlton alive. The signings of players like Humphrey, Reid, Bolder,Shitliff etc on the cheap was the stuff of genius.
    Agree.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    He went on to be an employee of Chrystal Palace. Unforgivable. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Always seemed be able to find players who had lost their way a little bit, and then reignited their career at the Valley. The exact opposite of the current “Charltonised” that makes every new player go down hill quickly…. 
  • Options
    He told me once that the secret to successful management was not asking players to do what they were not capable of. 
    I used to see him now and again at the dogs when he had a runner and found him approachable and easy to chat to. May be a few drinks loosened him up. 
  • Options
    Always seemed be able to find players who had lost their way a little bit, and then reignited their career at the Valley. The exact opposite of the current “Charltonised” that makes every new player go down hill quickly…. 
    That’s a very good summing up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He went on to be an employee of Chrystal Palace. Unforgivable. 
    So did Kiely.

Gritty and Jimmy Seed both went to Millwall.

It does not in anyway for me change how great they were for us
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Without him the Club would have folded.

We have had 3 great Managers in our history who either built the club to its highest status, saved the club or rebuilt the club.

Lennie is one of them and the only one without a stand or anything at the club named after him. IMO totally wrong and disrespectful.
    And this is the issue with naming things after people - where do you stop? We are only at a point in our history. We haven't reached the end of history.

In 100 years time, based on precedent, we'll have had another 3 managers that will have delivered similar transformational performance. We might even have a manager that beats Millwall regularly.

They will all need a stand named after them...
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

We have had 3 great Managers in our history who either built the club to its highest status, saved the club or rebuilt the club.

Lennie is one of them and the only one without a stand or anything at the club named after him. IMO totally wrong and disrespectful.
    And this is the issue with naming things after people - where do you stop? We are only at a point in our history. We haven't reached the end of history.

In 100 years time, based on precedent, we'll have had another 3 managers that will have delivered similar transformational performance. We might even have a manager that beats Millwall regularly.

It does not necessarily have to be a stand, but at presant we have enough room to accommodate these 3 greats. 

It will be a great problem to have when someone else emulates what these 3 achieved for our club
  • Options
    Until then, we’ll make do with the Karel Fraye toilet block.
    Um, the Karel Fraey toilet duck is already in the Katrien Latrine…
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

It does not necessarily have to be a stand, but at presant we have enough room to accommodate these 3 greats. 

It will be a great problem to have when someone else emulates what these 3 achieved for our club
    Sir Lennie should have been the first to be recognised.