Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Footballers that get called by their first AND last name

Comments

• Options
    James Rodriguez, but with the added benefit of the commentator demonstrating their cultural awareness by emphasising "Hammes"
  • Options
    Dele Alli
  • Options
    Rob Lee
  • Options
    Edson Arantes do Nascimento
  • Options
    Cristiano Ronaldo.
  • Options
    Phil Neville
    Gary Neville 
  • Options
    Alan Brazil when playing Brazil, Matt Holland when playing Holland.
  • Options
    Joe Jordan (including when playing against Jordan)
  • Options
    Joe Jordan (including when playing against Jordan)
    Mike England when playing England
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dele Alli, but separately.

Started as Alli, but signed a whopping big contract and wanted to be known as Dele (because of a fall out with his Dad).

Debatable whether we can call him a footballer now, sadly.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Started as Alli, but signed a whopping big contract and wanted to be known as Dele (because of a fall out with his Dad).

What ever happened to him, is he still playing?
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

He's just spent the season on loan @ Besiktas, doesnt sound like it was very successful either.

So he'll spend pre-season with Everton, and go from there
  • Options
    Ricky Holmes?
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

He's just spent the season on loan @ Besiktas, doesnt sound like it was very successful either.

One of those horrible pop up ads told me that he is apparently about to become the first billionaire footballer. I clicked on the link (why???) which led me to a list of rich footballers and how much they are worth, each name being surrounded by hundreds of ads, and after about ten minutes of scrolling through them I gave up, before any mention of Alli appeared. Horrendous experience. Never again etc.
  • Options
    Edward Sheringham (whilst at Notts Forest anyway)
  • Options
    Joe Cole

• Options
    Jay-Jay Okocha
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Andrew Johnson

• Options
    Can you think of a famous male Brazilian footballer who’s known by either first or last name rather than a nickname?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Stephen Ireland playing for Ireland when he wasn’t attending a funeral for one of his many grandmothers.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

As said, spent the season in Turkey, where he spent his time being left out of the team and being caught doing laughing gas and partying. Pretty sad how he’s wasted all that talent.
  • Options
    Can you think of a famous male Brazilian footballer who’s known by either first or last name rather than a nickname?
    Allisson
    Neymar
    Casemiro
    Joelinton
    Ederson
    Richarlison
    Rodrygo
    Vinicius
    Antony

Nicknames are a thing of the past for a lot of Brazilian footballers these days.
  • Options
    Sean Clare? Never heard him referred as just Clare
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Thanks.
  • Options
    Was having this coversation with my eldest the other day...Solly March as previous posters have mentioned! I then found out that the arsenal fullback tomiyasu (spelling?) is actually his surname! I truly thought it was a similar situation to March and he was called Tommy Yasu. Idiot.
  • Options
    Idrissa Gueye. It's like they're not comfortable saying Gueye because it sounds like gay. For some time I thought his name was Idris Agay because I'd never heard his surname on it's own. The whole thing is ironic because Idrissa Gueye apparently doesn't like gay people.