Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I’m sick of tired of people saying…

Comments

• Options
    It was a simple case of Richard Murray et al demanding Curbs sign a long contract that didn't value him. 

We wanted Curbs to stay. I mean all of my family did at least. 
  • Options
    I was happy for a change. Just because the decisions that followed that were bad/wrong does not mean it was the wrong initial decision.
  • Options
    I was a season ticket holder at the time and i do remember there wqs a large minority of fans who complained he had taken us as far as he could. Thats not to say there was a concerted effort to oust him. I think for context though this was all pre social media really.
  • Options
    Best people read Curb's autobiography.
  • Options
    I was happy for a change. Just because the decisions that followed that were bad/wrong does not mean it was the wrong initial decision.
    Fair play to you for being ready to admit that. Not many do.

I'll admit to something in turn. At the time I still believed, more or less, in Richard Murray, although I wasn't around so much and didn't really understand the boardroom changes. But I had always assumed that RM had done what any sensible business leader would do in a normal company - have a file marked "What if Curbs leaves?" containing a list of possible candidates, some of whom he might have had dinner with, just to get to know them ona mutual "what if, in future? " basis. Happens all the time in business.

Turns out he had no such file. I was gobsmacked and shaken by that revelation. When I managed to ask him why not, some time later, he said it was because such activity would have been regarded as "tapping up". I was even more gobsmacked and shaken, because it really is not, and I wondered how he'd maintained the senior management of his own business, which seemed to be thriving.
  • Options
    My hubby did.
    It caused many an argument in the house.
    His opinion didn’t count anyhoo being a Spurs fan lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This same commentary popped up on radio 5 last night on their night time football show. Tim Vickery called it 'charlton syndrome' or something similar when describing the Bournemouth sacking. Didn't get challenged.
  • Options
    We didn't have the resources to compete in the top half of the Premier League.
    The fact that we competed there and  over a sustained period of time was because of Curbs.
    We were overachieving because of him.
    Anybody who knows anything knew it was going to be difficult to replace him and we duly fcuked up.
    I don't doubt there were those who felt he had taken us as far as he could.
    The point is, he had taken us as far as anybody could with the resources at his disposal.
    As for this urban myth, frequently perpetuated on Sky Sports, that Charlton fans wanted him out and the patronising "be careful what you wish for" jibes we have had to listen to for years, this is just that, a myth trotted out by people too lazy to seek out the facts.
    What you actually had was half a dozem morons on Talksport, given a voice to provoke a click bait reaction.
    Fcuk 'em all
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Great! So, Mr. Dickhead Keys why do/did you allow your colleagues to continually perpetuate this myth that "Charlton fans" wanted him out?
  • Options

• Options
    I was one happy to see Curbs go at the time. He started to fall out with key players who I liked and moved them on and the lack of cup runs by playing weakened teams really grated on me. We were usually mid table and it made for a boring second half of the season.

In early 2006 I stopped going and gave my season ticket away having rarely missed a home game since 93.I was back the following season even though I did anticipate we would struggle without Curbs. I feel bad saying it now but had Curbs stayed I'm not sure that I would have renewed.

Despite this I get really annoyed at the  press wrongly stating he was sacked and their continued narrative of look at Charlton now - careful what you wish for. I was most definitely in the minority and It was Curbs decision not to commit to a new long term contract so I think he sensed it was coming to a natural end too.

What was most telling for me as to how the Charlton majority felt about Curbs was the send off he got in those last 2 games in 2006. Bar Fergie at Man U, I can't think of any other managers in the Prem who got that level of adulation and thanks when they left a club.

The simple fact is the Curbs era came to a natural end. History will say nobody benefitted from it, he didn't and neither did we but that's how it goes sometimes.  I just wish the press would consider that rather than peddling their negative and inaccurate portrayal of events to suit their narrative of bashing Charlton fans.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/live/dfxvqB1OUsc?feature=share

At 39 minutes Keys claims he was sacked
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oakster2 said:
    To be fair it wasn’t Curbs leaving it was me, my last game on English soil before buggering off to Canada was Portsmouth away in October 2005 - we won 2-1 and sat 2nd in the league. After I left we lost 6 of the next 7 games and our slide down the table & leagues has been almost uninterrupted. Those of you who wanted me out have a lot to answer for!! 
    Remember that one good 2nd half performance, standing behind the goal i seem to remember.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    https://www.youtube.com/live/dfxvqB1OUsc?feature=share

At 39 minutes Keys claims he was sacked
    He's getting confused, I remember Keys getting the sack along with his side kick Gray.
  • Options
    F*ckin hell Twitter is ruthless lol

• Options

Wow.  There are some sad bitter arseholes out there.
  • Options

Wow.  There are some sad bitter arseholes out there.
    Anonymous, which is no surprise.  
  • Options
    I thought this was going to be a thread about people saying expressions completely wrong - I could care less

Would of, could of, should, of, might of, etc.

Makes me want to punch the person saying/typing one of them square on the nose.

Might as well just type 'might'of' instead of might've (which in itself is a massive clue to the divs out there).

Apologies.
  • Options
    I thought this was going to be a thread about people saying expressions completely wrong - I could care less

Would of, could of, should, of, might of, etc.

Makes me want to punch the person saying/typing one of them square on the nose.

Might as well just type 'might'of' instead of might've (which in itself is a massive clue to the divs out there).

Apologies.
    Typical Millwall….. resorting to violence 🤣
  • Options
    Come April, start getting ready for the beach, and throwing every cup fixture. Those things started to aggravate. A minority me included felt that was Curbs, trying to show how much he was in charge. NO ONE, including him is bigger than the club.
  • Options
    Curbs was on the podcast quickly kevin and he speaks openly about him leaving, he went to Murray or Varney (cant remember which) to discuss spending 3.5 million on Steve Sidwell and they would only do it if he signed a new contract. I think as some have said already the mistake wasnt Curbs going solely, it was who they appointed afterwards.