Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Films that you disliked at first but made you change opinion upon rewatch

I've been watching old famous films lately and picked GoodFellas this weekend.

I was only a teenager when I watched it for the first time about 20 years ago. I've always liked Robert De Niro but wasn't a big fan of Martin Scorsese's style at the time. I remember buying a DVD copy of this film with great expectations as I liked Robert De Niro and films about crimes but it turned out to be an uncomfortable and disappointing experience. If I remember correctly I had just watched Heat before that which I absolutely enjoyed but GoodFellas was completely different and totally not my cup of tea.

Now over two decades later I finally watched Taxi Driver along with a few other Martin Scorsese + Robert De Niro films and loved them all. Then I saw on the internet that GoodFellas was rated highly by both critics and audiences around the world. So I gave it ago despite I rarely rewatch anything nowadays. It turned out to be very enjoyable and just like the other Martin Scorsese projects I've watched recently, I can't stop thinking about it for the next couple of days. I'm sure I would not like Taxi Driver or New York New York if I was only 15. The reason that I like GoodFellas now is the same why I like Taxi Driver etc. so much - I've grown up, experienced, seen, read or heard about a lot more compared to 20 years ago and can understand the themes of those films. They are so real, the characters are so real and the stories convey profound messages. All of these things probably wouldn't get into the head of the 15 year old me. Most of the real life gangsters are more like Tommy (Joe Pecsi) and Jimmy (De Niro) in GoodFellas instead of Vito Corleone in The Godfather - not that I don't rate the latter, I still consider the trilogy as my all-time favourites. Just that I've finally got to be able to understand why Martin Scorsese is admired so much by so many people, and be able to appreciate his works. Last night I came across his essay on NY Times about why he doesn't like Marvel films and it quite resonates with me. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/opinion/martin-scorsese-marvel.html

So I'm curious if you've ever had a similar experience, changing opinions on a certain film after seeing it for the second time, perhaps many years later.

Comments

• Options
    Glad you gave Goodfella’s another chance, it’s a brilliant film!
  • Options
    I gave up on Taxi Driver first time. Perhaps I should give that another go.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say I disliked it but Starship Troopers where you realise you have been rooting for the bad guys and it isn't a shallow film, which is part of the trick.
  • Options
    2001 A Space Odyssey. Only 8 when I saw it in London. Too young to appreciate it. 
  • Options
    The Big Lebowski and JoJo Rabbit were both films I couldn't finish the first time, but found them brilliant at the second time of asking.

Shout out to Mama Mia which was beyond spite, and won't get a second chance. 
    I HATE ABBA!
  • Options
    Really good question, I have got two and they are pretty closely related. Unforgiven and Carlito's Way. 

It's been so long I cannot specifically remember what I disliked about them, but I know it has a lot to do with me being too young to understand them properly. Thematically the films are similar - they're about bad guys with reputations who have gotten old, and for whatever reason, find themselves back in the game. Both films even feature a scene where the lead character is cornered and needs to use that reputation to threaten his way out of the room. 

I think as a kid I just didn't get any of the subtlety of Unforgiven (Little Bill being utterly useless and full of shit) or the pathos of Carlito, and I did used to find De Palma's direction annoying. I see them now as bona fide classics and realise I was a moron when it came to appreciating them! 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I gave up on Taxi Driver first time. Perhaps I should give that another go.
    I can understand why it's not for everyone. Some parts are a bit slow and the lead character actually has mental health issues. I think Scorsese is extremely good at making films about losers, outcasts - another example is The King of Comedy - and later extremely thickfaced people (New York, New York). By the way, the soundtrack of Taxi Driver is amazing. If I were a student majoring in film-making I'd write an essay on this film. There's so much to talk about.

JiMMy 85 said:
    Really good question, I have got two and they are pretty closely related. Unforgiven and Carlito's Way. 

It's been so long I cannot specifically remember what I disliked about them, but I know it has a lot to do with me being too young to understand them properly. Thematically the films are similar - they're about bad guys with reputations who have gotten old, and for whatever reason, find themselves back in the game. Both films even feature a scene where the lead character is cornered and needs to use that reputation to threaten his way out of the room. 

I think as a kid I just didn't get any of the subtlety of Unforgiven (Little Bill being utterly useless and full of shit) or the pathos of Carlito, and I did used to find De Palma's direction annoying. I see them now as bona fide classics and realise I was a moron when it came to appreciating them! 
    Wow, what a coincidence! I watched Carlito's Way just a few days ago! I'd seen the copies of this film so many times back in the old days when I often went to local DVD stores. But for some reason I never bought it. I watched Dog Day Afternoon recently and loved Pacino's performance in it so I thought maybe I should try another highly-rated film of his. I'm glad I did. My parents and I watched Carlito's Way together and we all enjoyed it. I think this is an easier one for me to like. I would like it even 20 or 25 years ago. Next weekend I'm going to watch Scarface. By the way, if I had to say who's better, Robert De Niro or Al Pacino, I'd always say De Niro because Pacino gives me the impression that he plays similar roles whereas De Niro is so much more versatile.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The King of Comedy is brilliant!
  • Options
    I wouldn't say I disliked it but Starship Troopers where you realise you have been rooting for the bad guys and it isn't a shallow film, which is part of the trick.
    This, its cheesie and stereotype lazy writing, if you don't get the point.

If anyone hasn't seen it, watch it, read about it then watch it again and its like watching two different films. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Prob my fav Scorsese.
  • Options
    I thought Anchorman was rubbish the first time I saw it. I now appreciate that it's genius
  • Options
    I wonder if I give inception another go it could fall into this category. I switched off about 30 mins in but think I should probably give it another chance.
  • Options
    Saw the Warriors, thought it was a good film. Saw it again and thought what a load of crap. Then saw it again and thought great film.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Prob my fav Scorsese.
    That film is quite unique I think. It looks funny but has a very sad theme underneath. I didn't realise at first the last scene was actually possibly just another fantasy instead of reality. I thought it was a happy ending and felt it was a bit weird. But the next day I went online to see what people thought about it and came to the conclusion that the ending was not real. It was a bit of an emotional shock as I had thought he "finally made it", only to realise a day later that it never happened...😢
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Stig said:
    Prob my fav Scorsese.
    That film is quite unique I think. It looks funny but has a very sad theme underneath. I didn't realise at first the last scene was actually possibly just another fantasy instead of reality. I thought it was a happy ending and felt it was a bit weird. But the next day I went online to see what people thought about it and came to the conclusion that the ending was not real. It was a bit of an emotional shock as I had thought he "finally made it", only to realise a day later that it never happened...😢
    Yeah, absolutely. When the audience applause fades out at the end, and you realise it's the same effect he used when Pupkin is pretending to perform in his fake studio... 😗👌 It's ambiguous enough that you can also just take the 'happy' ending if you like.

For what it's worth I think it's the same with Taxi Driver, in that I think the final part is just a fantasy - although it's a bit of a fascist-tinged fantasy, which makes me like it less than KOC. 
  • Options
    2001 A Space Odyssey. Only 8 when I saw it in London. Too young to appreciate it. 
    I was also 8 (or even 7) when I saw 2001 on its first release and my mind was blown! I didn’t understand it and that was part of the appeal. I watch it every couple of years and still find something new every time. It inspired a love of cinema that has shaped my life…

A film like Brief Encounter I would have seen as a kid and been unimpressed with but now it’s one of my favourites. 
    Always worth reassessing - growing older can have its upsides.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Stig said:
    Prob my fav Scorsese.
    Unique until Joker came along - that film is basically a modern retelling of KoC. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Justice League, but that's cheating. 

I first watched the Wheadon cut and the character development felt lazy.

The Snyder cut used a lot of the same content, but the editing and additions made the film so much more watchable. It made everything darker and filled out some of the missing back story. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

The Snyder cut used a lot of the same content, but the editing and additions made the film so much more watchable. It made everything darker and filled out some of the missing back story. 
    Have you seen Corridor Crew's breakdown as to why Snyder's stuff is so much better? This guys are great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sqOBaw5CQM
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Have you seen Corridor Crew's breakdown as to why Snyder's stuff is so much better? This guys are great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sqOBaw5CQM
    I'll watch that on my break. 
  • Options
    Layer Cake. Couldn't get in to it the 1st time I watched it. It's currently on Netflix so thought I'd give it another go. And actually thought it was quite good
  • Options
    The Greatest Showman, i first watched it on a flight to, or from Vegas... so didn't really get into it as much. However i would say its one of my favourites now and i watch it from time to time.