Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Films you liked at first but now cant watch.

edited June 2023 in Not Sports Related
Following Jessies post thought I would post the negative view.

May I start off with Groundhog Day. Loved it, saw it twice at the pictures, loads if time after, then suddenly its dead to me.

Comments

• Options
    Been wracking my brains and just thought of one: Shine. Loved it when I first saw it, but made the mistake of showing it to my mates on a film night. They were quite polite about it, but I just sat there thinking, 'this is slow and boring, what made you pick this'? Haven't watched it since and probably won't.
  • Options
    Pulp Fiction.
    Loved it when it was released. However I have become squeamish in my old age and hate it now.
  • Options
    Requiem for a Dream.
    I enjoyed that sort of thing when I was younger, but I'm in my late thirties now, I just don't have room for that level of negativity.
  • Options
    Return of the Jedi. I'd describe myself as a Starwars fan and as a teenager would watch one everyday. This was a time when there were only three films.

Sadly, it just reeks of cheese. The poxy ewoks, the whole thing with Han, Leia and Luke.

I just cannot watch it. I'm not saying the Phantom Menace is a better film, but i'd rather watch that instead of ROTJ.
  • Options
    Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Loved it as a kid, watched it as an adult, utter kack. The only real French Napoleon speaks is 'merde' at the bowling alley, the rest is gibberish like the film.

• Options
    French Connection was on the other night, great film, watched about 10 minutes and thought no.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Return of the Jedi. I'd describe myself as a Starwars fan and as a teenager would watch one everyday. This was a time when there were only three films.

Sadly, it just reeks of cheese. The poxy ewoks, the whole thing with Han, Leia and Luke.

I just cannot watch it. I'm not saying the Phantom Menace is a better film, but i'd rather watch that instead of ROTJ.
    Mrs cafcfan acquired a hooded top that made her look like an Ewok. Upon my pointing this out and advising she stopped wearing it, she managed to offload it to a friend.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    PopIcon said:

Mrs cafcfan acquired a hooded top that made her look like an Ewok. Upon my pointing this out and advising she stopped wearing it, she managed to offload it to a friend.
    How tall is your Missus?
  • Options
    Mary Poppins. 4 year old son developed an obsession with it, watched it so many times now that I'm sick to death of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    UEAAddick said:
    Fight Club. Liked It when I first watched it, but looking back its way to far fetched and just a rubbish story
    The twist at the end detracts from the film 
  • Options
    Wings of desire (The Wim Wenders original).  I thought it was a work of genius.  Last saw it about 10 years ago and just found it incredibly pretentious.
  • Options
    Oh, and Betty Blue - same as above.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    cafcfan said:
    PopIcon said:

How tall is your Missus?
    Five foot nothing. Her friend is about 5' 7" and it looks okay on her.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    French Connection was on the other night, great film, watched about 10 minutes and thought no.
    Interesting opinion. I was thinking of re-watching it soon. Why did you stop after ten minutes?
  • Options
    I used to really love Face/Off semi-ironically. Not the storyline or the performances, I still think those are great but the direction hasn't aged well. I found some of the John Woo-isms pretty hard to put up with this time round. Not everything needs a dove John.
    Also increasingly look back at Kevin Smith films and struggle to see what I did in them the first time round.
    Finally, and most painfully, I re-watched Battle Royale recently and it didn't land for me at all. I absolutely loved it for years but something about it this time felt really thin and empty. I felt like the stylised violence was covering the fact the film really didn't have as much to say as I thought it did and once you move past all the killings there isn't a huge amount there to latch onto. Might just be dystopia fatigue but I was pretty bored by it this time round
  • Options
    I think for me it's how I've changed as I've got older, more sensitive and hate "sad" endings. Biggest example is One Flew over the cuckoo's nest. Amazing film but just can't watch now as I find the ending so sad.
  • Options
    I used to really love Face/Off semi-ironically. Not the storyline or the performances, I still think those are great but the direction hasn't aged well. I found some of the John Woo-isms pretty hard to put up with this time round. Not everything needs a dove John.
    Also increasingly look back at Kevin Smith films and struggle to see what I did in them the first time round.
    Finally, and most painfully, I re-watched Battle Royale recently and it didn't land for me at all. I absolutely loved it for years but something about it this time felt really thin and empty. I felt like the stylised violence was covering the fact the film really didn't have as much to say as I thought it did and once you move past all the killings there isn't a huge amount there to latch onto. Might just be dystopia fatigue but I was pretty bored by it this time round
    Face/Off is fucking stupid but fun. Not as slick as it felt in 97 but still love it. 

I listen to Kevin Smith's Fatman Beyond podcast and I enjoy it a lot. When he talks about people not liking his films I think, good on you, Kev. Fuck 'em. Keep doing your thing etc.

He talks about how much Clerks III means to him and refers to it like it's a piece of art, which I guess it is.

So I sat down to watch Clerks III a few weeks ago and... fuck me Kevin Smith is a terrible filmmaker.

• Options
    Just thought of another, used to love Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, now for whatever reason....
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    iaitch said:
    Interesting opinion. I was thinking of re-watching it soon. Why did you stop after ten minutes?
    I watched The French Connection again two nights ago. Very seventies with attitudes to match. The famous car/train chase is ludicrous. However, still a great film and well worth another watch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Highlander.
    I absolutely loved it. Had it on vhs, had the soundtrack, watched it over & over, knew the story line pretty much word for word.
    Watched it alone one night a few years ago & feck me it's aged appallingly. His acting is so wooden. The special affects are crap & I've even started going off the music 😳
  • Options
    Rewatched 7even and thought it sucked. That really surprised me because I saw it at the cinema and thought it was ace. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Not sure, probably not in the mood for it. 
  • Options
    Saving private ryan

not because it's a bad film but the reality. I can't watch the part where the jewish soldier gets stabbed through the heart 
  • Options
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

Really good film to watch and really hits home with the realities of the subject

But the way it ends, nah dont ever want to see it again
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Face/Off is fucking stupid but fun. Not as slick as it felt in 97 but still love it. 

I listen to Kevin Smith's Fatman Beyond podcast and I enjoy it a lot. When he talks about people not liking his films I think, good on you, Kev. Fuck 'em. Keep doing your thing etc.

He talks about how much Clerks III means to him and refers to it like it's a piece of art, which I guess it is.

So I sat down to watch Clerks III a few weeks ago and... fuck me Kevin Smith is a terrible filmmaker.

I think that's my issue with Face/Off, when I was younger I felt like it was a stupid film that was oddly well made. Now that Woo's style is feeling a bit dated the stylised aspect of it grates a bit. I would always have put Face/Off above Con Air but I'm starting to think that at least Con Air knows what it is. I love them both though.
    I'm almost scared to rewatch some Kevin Smith films. I feel like I always knew Clerks was a bit overrated but my memory of Chasing Amy and Dogma is that they're pretty insightful and funny films. I haven't watched Chasing Amy in years so I have no idea how well some of the sexual politics of that film have aged, and I loved Dogma but haven't seen it in years as it's pretty hard to get hold of. I think he's made 13 films since then and by all accounts none of them are good, so I think it might be better just to keep my memory of them and never actually look into it again.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I think that's my issue with Face/Off, when I was younger I felt like it was a stupid film that was oddly well made. Now that Woo's style is feeling a bit dated the stylised aspect of it grates a bit. I would always have put Face/Off above Con Air but I'm starting to think that at least Con Air knows what it is. I love them both though.
    I'm almost scared to rewatch some Kevin Smith films. I feel like I always knew Clerks was a bit overrated but my memory of Chasing Amy and Dogma is that they're pretty insightful and funny films. I haven't watched Chasing Amy in years so I have no idea how well some of the sexual politics of that film have aged, and I loved Dogma but haven't seen it in years as it's pretty hard to get hold of. I think he's made 13 films since then and by all accounts none of them are good, so I think it might be better just to keep my memory of them and never actually look into it again.
    Watched both Clerks and Dogma recently, as my wife had never seen them. Hadn't watched either film for well over a decade prior to that. Sadly, your fears are not misplaced. Probably best to keep the fond memories intact and not revisit them.

• Options
    Marley and Me.