Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Buying a car online (Cinch,Cazoo,etc..) Anyone done it?

Good? Bad? Indifferent?

I'm looking into it but can't quite get my head around buying without seeing it or a test drive.

Comments

• Options
    I used heycar, process was pretty seamless and they give you a 90 day guarantee as most of the online sites do. 
  • Options
    I used Cinch for my current car. 

The process was very straightforward and when the guy arrived with it, he offered me a test drive there and then, but with the no quibble return policy I didn't bother.  

I hate looking round car showrooms and haggling for a new vehicle, so would definitely use this route again as their prices were competitive too.
  • Options
    Good? Bad? Indifferent?

I'm looking into it but can't quite get my head around buying without seeing it or a test drive.
    Me, my wife, daughter, son in law all lease our cars, have done so for the last 10 years. It’s the same process so do your homework, go to a dealer and test drive the model you choose then order on line at the best price/deal 
  • Options
    Used Carwow to negotiate down the dealer
  • Options
    How can anybody not like haggling? Especially over cars. 
    Look at You Tube to see dealers sales techniques, they almost expect haggling.
    When the first question they ask is what colour you want, I always counter by asking if different colours (of the fancy paint) are different prices.
    However much you want and need you ought to have the strength to walk away from the deal if it doesn’t suit.
    I once bought a ‘used’ Mondeo at a second hand price that only had 28 miles on the clock, it had been sitting around the dealers in Gillingham for too long. I bought it in a March, and just under the bonnet and near the windscreen it had piles of the previous Autumns fallen golden crispy leaves.
    Always take a tyre pressure gauge and when they say it’s been serviced or properly prepared check the tyre pressures, if that isn’t right, then that alone can get you hundreds off if you haggle in the right way.
    Where is the fun in paying the advertised prices?
  • Options
    Yes, I did that. But the dealer then said they would give me a bigger discount if I swerved Carwow so they didn't have to pay the commission. I did this and had quite a lot of hassle later as understandably Carwow didn't really believe that I hadn't gone ahead with a purchase.

Maybe telling that Carwow no longer quote for models from this manufacturer.
  • Options
    I used Cazoo and had a really positive experience. As others say, you don’t have to haggle or listen to some slimy salesman talking complete shit for an hour. My mate used Cinch though and had a bad experience. The branding on the number plate annoys me though. Gonna get that changed soon.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Tell them you want a plain number plate or £1000 advertisers fee, or £1000 off.
    I used to insist on a plain number plate and no stickers on windows, told them if parked at an away ground my origins could be identified from my car, and their stickers/number plates constituted a threat and a safety hazard.
    When buying in person I used to write all the agreed conditions down and get the salesperson to sign the paper, so at delivery there would be nothing amiss and no room for backsliding.
    Also, play one dealer off against another by getting a written or printed quote.
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of haggling and having to listen to bullshit from the dealer. Also not being sure if I got the best deal I could although really, if you pay what you intended to pay or less it shouldn't concern you. When you test drive the car it doesn't tell you much unless there is a clear problem. I think it is a good idea. My brother got his car in this way and it went fine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On a slightly different note, the Car Wow review guy on You Tube Mat Watson is a great watch.  They should use him on Top Gear if it ever gets going again.
  • Options
    Years ago I bought a new car through Drive the Deal and it was one of the best purchases I've ever made.

The advantage is that the broker sources nationally so can find the dealer who is after a quarterly bonus or the like. I haggled for all I was worth with the local dealer but they couldn't come close to the deal I got from a retailer in Northampton. All payments went direct to the mainstream dealer so no risk of fraud. I would imagine all the brokers work in a similar way to Drive the Deal.

I got a price too when bought my wife's new car but the local dealer was able to match within a couple of hundred pounds so we went with the local dealer on that occasion.

You have to do your homework in terms of the exact spec you want, test drives etc. but, when you know exactly what you want, you are unlikely to get a better price than a broker with national coverage will offer you.
  • Options
    Never bought a second hand car without seeing it, don't think I ever would.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Never bought a second hand car without seeing it, don't think I ever would.
    Would agree for second hand but, if buying new, would thoroughly recommend
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Yes, I did that. But the dealer then said they would give me a bigger discount if I swerved Carwow so they didn't have to pay the commission. I did this and had quite a lot of hassle later as understandably Carwow didn't really believe that I hadn't gone ahead with a purchase.

I used Carwow (in 2017) to search for the best price, having already identified which make/model I wanted.  We'd already had a 'best offer' from the local dealer where we'd had the test drive, but Carwow brought up offers about £3k lower.  The lowest would have meant a trip to Derby (hey, for 3 grand...), but there were also significant savings nearby.  We then broke the news to the local dealer who, surprise surprise, came in very close to the best Carwow offer.  
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Tell them you want a plain number plate or £1000 advertisers fee, or £1000 off.
    I used to insist on a plain number plate and no stickers on windows, told them if parked at an away ground my origins could be identified from my car, and their stickers/number plates constituted a threat and a safety hazard.
    When buying in person I used to write all the agreed conditions down and get the salesperson to sign the paper, so at delivery there would be nothing amiss and no room for backsliding.
    Also, play one dealer off against another by getting a written or printed quote.
    I agree about a dealer's sticker in the back window and insist they don't put one in. But only because they obstruct rear-view vision. (Very few dealers do that anyway now.)

But I am afraid you have no choice over a number plate.  The British Standard is BS AU 145e. That became mandatory on 1 September 2021.  One of the requirements is for the plate's provider (usually the dealer) to include their name and postcode at the centre bottom.

The only way around this is a buy what are known as "show plates" from an on-line company like 
    https://www.fancyplates.com/

They are a Northern Ireland company but the contact telephone number is in the Republic - draw your own conclusions from that.  If you use their anonymous plates on the road, you would also run the (very small) risk of getting done by the plod.

(My current car was bought from Poole, Dorset, so anyone guessing the football team I support from the dealer's address would be a long way from the truth.)
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I just printed off the prices Carwow said they could do. I didn't click on any. Showed the dealer the printout. Still a small haggle but nothing like the usual try on. 
    Depends what make you want today as some new cars have no discount. 
  • Options
    Bought my BMW sight unseen from a dealership in Suffolk. Checked out the dealer online, checked the car history and service online. Had a haggle and got some money off as no PX. Got free delivery included, turned up next day on low loader. Superb! I like a good haggle so felt a bit odd.

Previously bought a new Astra Coupe direct from Vauxhall, almost £7k saving from dealer price. Collected from dealer who took px (price agreed online with Vauxhall) after they fitted a rear spoiler for me. Great deal at the time.

Personally I don't like lease or pcps, I like to own the car so that I have the car at the end of term.
  • Options
    No furry dice?
  • Options
    I just sold my car.

to Lucas Paqueta.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As I’ve alluded on another thread we don’t want to change our 12 year old
    car, Sadiq says otherwise.

For a 2 or 3 year old car of the model we would like, used prices are really high, and multiple dealers are not budging on new prices. One online broker has new cars that are a considerable saving on the dealers and near to the price of a 2 year old one.