Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Amusement Arcade - Claw Crane

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2023
    MrOneLung said:
    of course, won loads.
    Have also lost loads

as others have said, they are programmed to have a set pay out just like fruit machines

If it is not ready to pay out, it doesn't matter how 'perfectly' you have grabbed, it will release it once in the air
    I've got a mate who just doesn't get this - gets the proper hump about it if it's still loose.

"I had that!!  F***ing scam these" while he puts another quid in.

He has generally got more money than sense though!
    Was down in Brighton with my 5 year old niece years ago. I had a couple of goes for her and lost both. She then asked for a go and I said, "oh but you never win as the arms of the grab don't hold tight enough to move anything to the shute." Having carefully prepared her for her disappointment, she moved the grab above a small teddy bear before picking it up and dropping it down the shute. 
  • Options
    The thing is, some machines give you a fairer chance than others and that is due to how they are set up by their owners. I certainly remember when my son was young you could win prizes at a reasonable linterval which seemed to become harder to do.
  • Options
    The thing is, some machines give you a fairer chance than others and that is due to how they are set up by their owners. I certainly remember when my son was young you could win prizes at a reasonable linterval which seemed to become harder to do.
    Depends on the cost of the prize I guess.
  • Options
    I'd have thought there should be a legal average return, but it seems not. https://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/licensees-and-businesses/guide/page/d-gaming-machines
  • Options
    I managed to win one for my daughter the other day in Broadstairs. Only cost me 15 quid in the end for a small Teddy that probably cost 2 pounds in the shop.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    PopIcon said:
    Back in the 90s i'd regularly pull something fluffy out.
    It must have been an interesting chat you had with the Police...

I'm just bitter, because I'm crap at these things.
  • Options
    A mate of mine worked at the Granda Woolwich when it was a Bingo Hall. It had a Claw crane inside the lobby. He said they would stuff the toys so tight you would need Mole grips to get the buggers out
    Only found this out when telling him my old Mum had put £££, in trying to win a toys for her grandchildren.

• Options
    Stig said:
    I'd have thought there should be a legal average return, but it seems not. https://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/licensees-and-businesses/guide/page/d-gaming-machines
    Says the RTP (return to player) percentage must be displayed. Never seen this but then never looked! 

Also says the RTP must be set by manufacturer - implies the operator can’t fiddle it - unless you know a man who can  :smile:
  • Options
    jakecafc said:
    I managed to win one for my daughter the other day in Broadstairs. Only cost me 15 quid in the end for a small Teddy that probably cost 2 pounds in the shop.
    Nothing better than going to cromer and sticking £10 of 2ps in a machine to win a 50p toy. Our sons like a pig in shit with them and that's the main thing. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Says the RTP (return to player) percentage must be displayed. Never seen this but then never looked! 

Also says the RTP must be set by manufacturer - implies the operator can’t fiddle it - unless you know a man who can  :smile:
    Interesting. Because one of the biggest game machine sellers Liberty https://www.libertygames.co.uk/store/video_arcade_machines/crane-machines/telephone-box-crane-claw-machine/ says this in the blurb for a crane machine:  Whether you prefer a ‘prize every time’ set up, a percentage payout or just regular coin slots, you can program it whichever way suits your chosen use. 

(And, at 3 grand they are not cheap to buy either.)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I once read that with fruit machines a group of you gather round it. You have a bradawl and a long nail or pin. You spin it and as each jackpot picture lands in a column you make a hole in the glass or Perspex and fix it in place. You do it until you have the three jackpots lined up and pinned down, then you play and empty the machine.
    Could this work?
  • Options
    Stig said:

"...unless they are crane grab or penny falls machines".
  • Options
    Reading the posts above I can’t understand why anybody would try these at all. 
    Cos it’s a bit of fun. Everyone knows the chances of winning are slim, but if you do for your kid the reaction is priceless. Don’t win, it’s a fiver gone but the excitement was there. It really ain’t that deep.
    100%

Spend £20 in the arcade, win a fistful of tickets and when the kids cash them in at the prize store you get a keyring worth 50p however the look on the kids faces are priceless.
  • Options
    Reading the posts above I can’t understand why anybody would try these at all. 
    Cos it’s a bit of fun. Everyone knows the chances of winning are slim, but if you do for your kid the reaction is priceless. Don’t win, it’s a fiver gone but the excitement was there. It really ain’t that deep.
    100%

Spend £20 in the arcade, win a fistful of tickets and when the kids cash them in at the prize store you get a keyring worth 50p however the look on the kids faces are priceless.
    When you cash them in, ask for the PS5!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I once read that with fruit machines a group of you gather round it. You have a bradawl and a long nail or pin. You spin it and as each jackpot picture lands in a column you make a hole in the glass or Perspex and fix it in place. You do it until you have the three jackpots lined up and pinned down, then you play and empty the machine.
    Could this work?
    Maybe in the past I suppose. But these days the machines aren't mechanical. They are digital aren't they? There's no rotary cog any more. You'd just break the machine and it would stop working.

Any suggestion that Tommy has one of these in his man cave is entirely speculative:

Guitar Hero arcade game at Joystix