Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++ Alfie May - signs on a 2 year deal + 1year option (p4) +++

Comments

• Options
    edited June 16
    It's amazing how almost everyone is sure May is going and that if he does go we won't have the money to replace him. 
    Someone says NJ and May don't get on and immediately it is a fact. 
    Another club makes an offer and immediately he's being sold. 
    I have no problem with people being upset if something happens at the club that they don't agree with but, as often gets quoted, WIOTOS is the only fact that can be relied on. 
    I think you’re exaggerating ever so slightly. People are discussing because another club have made a bid for our star striker. I’m
    not sure anyone has said they are “sure” he’s off and it would be a bit weird on a Charlton forum if this wasn’t a topic of discussion. 
  • Options
    Football has become more complex in terms of tactics and formations. Can we afford to keep Alfie as a squad player if he doesn't fit  NJ's system?

May also has his wife's family ties to Yorkshire. We don't know how this might play out.

Personally I would like to keep May, but as long as this is NJ's decision I feel we should trust him.

• Options
    It's amazing how almost everyone is sure May is going and that if he does go we won't have the money to replace him. 
    Someone says NJ and May don't get on and immediately it is a fact. 
    Another club makes an offer and immediately he's being sold. 
    I have no problem with people being upset if something happens at the club that they don't agree with but, as often gets quoted, WIOTOS is the only fact that can be relied on. 
    But these days Clubs don’t make offers unless they have had encouragement to do so from one party or another, either the Club, the players agent or even the player himself. In this instance I definitely think it’s a case of no smoke without fire. 
  • Options
    Aside from being very annoyed if we do let him go, I hope Alfie does get a big pay day as this could well be his last significant transfer.
  • Options
    th0rryy said:
    I'm firmly in the camp of wanting to keep Alfie, but football be football and money generally talks loudest when it comes to retaining the services of any given star striker.

We had an absolute dog of a season last year, and he still scored 23 goals in the league. It's 66 for him in his last 3 L1 seasons with Cheltenham and us. He's a massive, massive asset and it's no surprise other clubs with money are sniffing around. His goals absolutely kept us up last season, as we could not defend at all and he even got into the L1 TotS as part of that mess. Anyone who needs a striker in L1 and wants to get out of this league sharpish would want him in their side, particularly if they play with 2 up front and they have another unit of a big man that can play alongside him. From the video series the club did about him before, he strikes me as a hard-working and decent guy, and on the pitch, he leaves everything out there, runs like a man 5 years his younger and has built a solid rapport with us, based upon that effort.

I would argue that he has one or two solid, similar L1 seasons in his legs, playing the way he does, before there is a noticeable dip. If he looks after himself and doesn't get kicked, I would hope three. Goals will probably go down in numbers a bit, but he'd be a very safe bet for 10-15+ in most sides. Given our dependence on him for goals last term, I would hesitate to put a number on his transfer value, but it's a lot. Clubs might be hesitant given his age, but there are a select handful of players in L1 that can do what he does every week. If you can afford him, you would absolutely go for him - and I'm astonished that hasn't involved a Wrexham bid yet.

I think he's happy here - he's a local lad and gets to stay near family. Only aspect that could grind against that would be NJ not feeling like he had to go out and get a second striker to support him to play the system he wants. Football philosophies drive signings and I'm not sure where NJ wants to go yet. Kanu could absolutely be cover for Alfie in his type of role if we get another striker. I don't put much stock in the NJ subbing of Alfie towards the end of the season, nor am I too concerned about his buddy Dobbo leaving either. Alfie is a professional and I think he has a lot of what he wants here. I think a lot of this is agent smoke and mirrors, and clubs like Huddersfield testing our mettle with silly offers.

I may yet be proved wrong because football can be dumb, but we should absolutely move heaven and earth to ensure he stays. He's contracted until next year with an extension option past that, and that feels about right. My gut says he'll stay, but we'll see. Either way, getting another striker through the door to either support or replace him remains up there on the list of priorities.
    Well said.  B)
  • Options
    He's proven. Any thoughts on potential replacements are conjecture.

Owners.....Don't sell him and then see what you can buy with the money. Show you have something in your pocket and buy first. If afterwards, Nathan feels that he has a strong enough squad to manage a full season without his goals, sell him. As the window gets closer to the end, there will be clubs pissing their pants about getting enough goals in their squads and that is what he does. Maybe Nathan wants us to score different types of goals, fine, but sign the replacement first, or many will view the owners pockets as rather shallow.

P.S
    I don't think selling Alfie is fine whatsoever. Keep him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Wonder if May would be happy going up to Huddersfield seeing as he and his family were a little homesick at Cheltenham (Pretty sure that was the case anyway). That might not matter if he was a lesser player, but considering the crucial role he played last season and being one of only about two or maybe three players that gave anywhere near enough effort, it might be enough for the Club to put the matter to bed and him to stay. 
    Is his missus not from that area?
  • Options
    edited June 19
    cs1986 said:
    Gribbo said:
    Wonder if May would be happy going up to Huddersfield seeing as he and his family were a little homesick at Cheltenham (Pretty sure that was the case anyway). That might not matter if he was a lesser player, but considering the crucial role he played last season and being one of only about two or maybe three players that gave anywhere near enough effort, it might be enough for the Club to put the matter to bed and him to stay. 
    Yes, they met while he was a Doncaster player. I’d imagine his wife would be very keen to move back up that way.
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    Gribbo said:
    Yes, they met while he was a Doncaster player. I’d imagine his wife would be very keen to move back up that way.
    They can when he retires in 3 or 4 years time!
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    Gribbo said:
    Exactly.
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    Gribbo said:
    And he might be very keen to stay close to his family
  • Options
    edited June 19
    supaclive said:
    cs1986 said:
    Gribbo said:
    They can when he retires in 3 or 4 years time!
    But that in itself is a point, retires in 3 or 4 years. He probably (and im guessing) hasn't made great money in his career having spent a long time in non-league and lower league teams, he form what i hear is on decent but not great money here and has one more year left on his contract but the club has the option to extend, which if jones doesn't fancy him is unlikely. Football in lower leagues is a precarious profession financially, so if i'm May as much as i might want to stay near family but i'd be looking at this thinking -

The manager doesn't really want me
    A team is willing to pay me more money to go play for them for the next 2 or 3 years
    This is probably my last multi-year "big" contract

All things considered if a bid was accepted id probably go, I could even see a scenario where he asks them to accept a bid and actively wants to go (i'm not saying he wants to go but ore so i wouldnt blame him if he said thanks lads but lets call time on this now).
  • Options
    edited June 19
    Alfie will go on to do something after football. Lot of talk about his retirement, he's a nippy striker, who can play as a 10 at this level. He's probably got c5 years left at this level if he stays fit (never an issue).

Not many League 1 players have a skillset they can return to after Football. Alfie will be fine. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Alfie will go on to do something after football. Lot of talk about his retirement, he's a nippy striker, who can play as a 10 at this level. He's probably got c5 years left at this level if he stays fit (never an issue).

Not many League 1 players have a skillset they can return to after Football. Alfie will be fine. 
    I'm glad, suppose thats one of the blessings of having a stint at non-league. i think i read he was a carpenter ?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I'm glad, suppose thats one of the blessings of having a stint at non-league. i think i read he was a carpenter ?
    He was working as a builder for his brother's company.

His wife, Lauren, is a proper Yorkshire lass so it would make sense to go that way and be somewhere between Huddersfield and Doncaster.  They are an hour apart so it would be easy for him to commute and she is near her family up there - and with three young boys she could probably do with all the help she can get!  If he's on the move!
  • Options
    What happens when we sell May and jones becomes wales manager before the season starts…? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hearing from Huddersfield side May to them is a done deal. Don't shoot the messenger. 
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Hearing from Huddersfield side May to them is a done deal. Don't shoot the messenger. 
    Someone on their forum has said the same in the last hour.

https://downatthemac.proboards.com/thread/119849/summer-2024-transfer-window?page=58
  • Options
    After how shit we were last season I don’t feel a bond with the players atm so is we replace and sell may I don’t really care, if the replacement works that is

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Dazzler21 said:

His wife, Lauren, is a proper Yorkshire lass so it would make sense to go that way and be somewhere between Huddersfield and Doncaster.  They are an hour apart so it would be easy for him to commute and she is near her family up there - and with three young boys she could probably do with all the help she can get!  If he's on the move!
    It does make sense being a young family and at same time, why sign a 2 (+1 year) year contract with a London club. It can't have been a surprise to not like being away from the north as they've been in Cheltenham for a couple of years beforehand. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Dazzler21 said:

It does make sense being a young family and at same time, why sign a 2 (+1 year) year contract with a London club. It can't have been a surprise to not like being away from the north as they've been in Cheltenham for a couple of years beforehand. 
    Pretty sure his family stayed in Yorkshire while he was at Cheltenham. Guess they moved here as it’s closer to his family 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Swisdom said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Pretty sure his family stayed in Yorkshire while he was at Cheltenham. Guess they moved here as it’s closer to his family 
    Thanks, hadn't realised that. 
  • Options
    What happens when we sell May and jones becomes wales manager before the season starts…? 
    This.

Don't think it will be Wales & I don't think it will be before the season starts, but put money on Jones not being here by the end of the season. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Dazzler21 said:

It may make sense for Alfie but does it make sense for Charlton ? We lose £10 million a year at this level , if we don't go up next season then it will be another £10 million the season after that.
    If the rumoured ~£1m fee is correct, you have to calculate between the £1m vs. £8-10m - does Alfie May alone increase our chances of promotion by 10%+?