Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie May - signed for Birmingham on 3 year deal according to Cawley (p49)

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Minutes per non-penalty goal for the top 10 scorers in the league last season:

Alfie May: 204
    Colby Bishop: 273
    Devante Cole: 200
    Jamie Reid: 213
    Chris Martin: 159
    Mark Harris: 244
    Sam Smith: 205
    Jordan Rhodes: 190
    Sam Hoskins: 241
    Ephron Mason-Clarke: 258
    Ah excellent. We're onto the 'he only scores tap ins and penalties' part of the discourse already. 

Olympic level mental gymnastics.

All so predictable how this unfolds next season.
    We will see
  • Options
    You will not convince me this isn’t a stupid decision to sell him if it’s only due to footballing reasons. 
    It's a fucking joke if we're supposedly going for promotion and let the leagues proven best and top goalscorer (in a shit team) go.

Raises serious questions over Jones for me and yes did well at Luton but not at Stoke or Southampton.

If this happens he's gonna need to have the team pushing up the top all season and seriously challenging for this to not look like one of the most ludicrous decisions in a cannon of ludicrous decisions at this club over recent years.

He's 31 not 41 May and gets goals. To even consider selling him to rival clubs is madness despite the mental gymnastics being pulled out to justify it.

May has proved his worth at Charlton. Jones has done fuck all so far so a lot riding on this decision.

Don't want to hear any flannel about tough transfer market/ deals nearly coming off but failing at last hurdle if May goes and we don't get another 20 a goal striker and end up with some raw nobody or journey man cart horse and rely on Aneke playing 15 minutes once every three months.

Keep May and improve the squad otherwise we'll just have another mediocre season of mid table looking at clubs like stevenage and Peterborough fighting it at at the top of the table.

Will be an awful move if this happens and will really raise concerns about Jones' judgement and Board's ambition.

If Jones quits or gets sacked and Mays gone that would be a clustefuck.

Not a good sign this if it happens.
    You were doing very well until the penultimate Jones bit.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Minutes per non-penalty goal for the top 10 scorers in the league last season:

Alfie May: 204
    Colby Bishop: 273
    Devante Cole: 200
    Jamie Reid: 213
    Chris Martin: 159
    Mark Harris: 244
    Sam Smith: 205
    Jordan Rhodes: 190
    Sam Hoskins: 241
    Ephron Mason-Clarke: 258
    Ah excellent. We're onto the 'he only scores tap ins and penalties' part of the discourse already. 

Olympic level mental gymnastics.

All so predictable how this unfolds next season.
    Very easy.

Play-offs minimum, selling justified, anything else a massive failure and should not have sold May.
  • Options
    I'll be gutted if he goes, I like him, I'd been hoping we signed him for the last few seasons before we did. 

I can put 2 and 2 together and see he might not fit in 100% exactly with how Jones wants to play however it is a massive gamble to get rid of such a proven goalscorer and piles pressure on Jones before a ball has been kicked next season. 

And given that there is not a glut of players out there who fit into Jones' supposed profile and who have a goalscoring pedigree I am seriously worried. Especially because out of the centre forwards left we can only rely on the fitness of Dan Kanu who himself is still learning the game, same as Miles who, I bet we rush back and lose again for months. 

• Options
    I think one thing we should discount in this discussion is Alfie's age.  He looked the fittest, sharpest player on the pitch last season and will be more than capable of retaining that for the remainder of his contract.  It is evident that he takes pride in his fitness and really works on it.

To name but a few.

• Options
    Cloudworm said:
    I don't get it. Somebody please explain why Jones possibly doesn't like the league's top scorer and how he wouldn't fit him in the team.
    I’ve no idea . It’s baffling 
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    I don't get it. Somebody please explain why Jones possibly doesn't like the league's top scorer and how he wouldn't fit him in the team.
    I’ve no idea . It’s baffling 
    ...and most likely, bollocks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Alfie was bought to mount a promotion challenge and ended up scoring the goals that kept us up.Without him,relegation.Thereby lies the problem,depending on one man to score,I assume Jones is looking at a system,whereby we dont depend on one man getting 20 plus,but 4 or 5 getting 45-50 between them,All the top sides had their leading scorers but others chipped in with a few,not a disaster if the leading scorer misses some games,If Alfie had missed a few weeks last year we were bollocksed.We asked no more than to have our new owners back the manager,if Jones lets Alfie go,be it on his head,but let us not pr judge his reasoning.
  • Options
    edited June 29
    It’s happening, so please for the love of Christ can all of you get your moaning and crying over and done with now as when it happens, we can get behind the team and manager so we can get out this god awful league. 

Yeah getting behind the team and manager is always more important than having the league's best goalscorer out on the pitch.

I'll be there behind the team and manager again this year with yet another recurring season ticket... doesn't mean I can't have a moan about the high risk strategy of potentially selling your best player and league's top goalscorer to potential promotion rivals particularly when we've seen over years how tricky it is to get good signings or even good singings on paper to perform in the way May has.

The revisionism about May's contribution to Charlton that has gone on in recent weeks since murmurs of his departure is mind-blowing.  Without his goals we'd be preparing for games vs Harrogate and Bromley next season and now season starts in 5 weeks and we're speculating about letting our best player follow Dobson out of the club without any proven replacements in place. 

So I'll keep cry wanking myself over this until it resolves itself with an adequate replacement and May doesn't start banging them in for promotion rivals.

Will be interesting to see how the Jones' knows what he's doing dry eyed mobs justify it if the predictable does unfold and we find ourselves in another turgid season in this dog shit league having let 2 great players leave without adequate replacement.  Will be the fault of boo boy posters on internet forums criticising inexplicable decisions rather than shit recruitment and inadequate squad building no doubt.

How did those so called 2 great players do for us this season then? They were all involved in the shite we produced all last season
  • Options
    It’s happening, so please for the love of Christ can all of you get your moaning and crying over and done with now as when it happens, we can get behind the team and manager so we can get out this god awful league. 

Yeah getting behind the team and manager is always more important than having the league's best goalscorer out on the pitch.

I'll be there behind the team and manager again this year with yet another recurring season ticket... doesn't mean I can't have a moan about the high risk strategy of potentially selling your best player and league's top goalscorer to potential promotion rivals particularly when we've seen over years how tricky it is to get good signings or even good singings on paper to perform in the way May has.

The revisionism about May's contribution to Charlton that has gone on in recent weeks since murmurs of his departure is mind-blowing.  Without his goals we'd be preparing for games vs Harrogate and Bromley next season and now season starts in 5 weeks and we're speculating about letting our best player follow Dobson out of the club without any proven replacements in place. 

So I'll keep cry wanking myself over this until it resolves itself with an adequate replacement and May doesn't start banging them in for promotion rivals.

Will be interesting to see how the Jones' knows what he's doing dry eyed mobs justify it if the predictable does unfold and we find ourselves in another turgid season in this dog shit league having let 2 great players leave without adequate replacement.  Will be the fault of boo boy posters on internet forums criticising inexplicable decisions rather than shit recruitment and inadequate squad building no doubt.

You are quite right about the importance of Alfies goals,but as I said,if you depend totally on one player to score,you can be well and truly in the shit if he dont play.Us armchair managers would thin k it was possible to get a partnership or something going involving May ,but Jones maybe thinks that is not viable.Regards Dobson,obviously not down to Jones,but "in my opinion" watch for Anderson to step up and do the job next season.

• Options
    The world knows Alfie May is being sold.  What new prices are we now being quoted for the desperately needed strikers I wonder?!

Bad, bad, bad management across the board.

• Options
    mart77 said:
    Said it before, will say it again - 

Jones doesn't like Alfie in a footballing sense that was clear when he came in. He has to live and die by his decisions.

If we are in promotion mix come next may no one will be talking about Alfie.

If not Jones faces some serious questions.

But if i was Jones id rather fail through my own methods than fail trying to shoehorn a player I don't like in to the squad.
    Yes they will and they will continue to do so unless we go up. Anything but promotion this season and the decision to sell will be examined on here for months and years to come!
    Make it make sense at least ? Id love alfie to stay but we had him last season, we didnt go up. This idea that its a 100% cert that we will go up if keep alfie is nonsense. 

As long as we can see steady progression and we are pushing for promotion its a positive, this idea we have some god given right to be a championship team has to stop.
    I’m not saying we’d definitely go up if Alfie stays at all. I’m saying that when Alfie leaves it will always be a case of what could have been, especially if he continues to do well at our L1 rival. Most fans expected May to be complemented by better players, that would help us move upwards but instead we’re letting him depart to rival and even if we improve the squad greatly (we’re nowhere close to this yet) some fans will question but what if we had Alfie on top of these new players. 

I agree that no team has a god given right to promotion but I think this is more the questioning of selling one of the few bright spots that Charlton fans have had for the last 10-15 years. 

Will the move by Jones pay off? Who knows. What I will say is Jones will be judged by the squad he assembles and where that squad finishes the season. Like I said, if it’s not a promotion team then questions will, rightly so imo, be asked.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cawley saying his wife is from Yorkshire and has moved back there. He’s going. I love South London but have also made that move and it’s a no brainer.

Sadly, I’m not quite on footballer’s wages. 
    Sorry, I read that as Cawley’s wife had moved back to Yorkshire, and Cawley was as well, which would have been a shame.
  • Options

How did those so called 2 great players do for us this season then? They were all involved in the shite we produced all last season
    Take 10 goals from Alfie and we'd almost certainly been relegated.
  • Options
    He’s gone. I know his brothers. And he’s also mates with one of my pals from work. I’ve been told it’s done and he’s getting 2 years there and more money. Also his northern wife wants out of London. 
  • Options
    Promotion or you can’t justify it. 
    What if we're a losing playoff team? 3rd to 6th would be a slight improvement over the season where we actually had May