Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie May - signed for Birmingham (p56 - confirmed & video message from him)

Comments

• Options
    pettgra said:
    I am surprised how naive I am.
    When Alfie said look forward to seeing you at the Valley next season, I did think he meant more than twice.
    Think we've got them in a cup as well so maybe three times!!

Joy
  • Options
    edited July 2
    The particularly annoying thing about this transfer is that every time we miss a chance now it'll be 'MaY wOuLd HaVe ScOrEd ThAt' and every time we don't win someone will pop up to tell us that if we'd had May that match would have been three points. The only solution is we'll have to win every single game, it's the only way we won't all go mad.
    Yeah it’s going to be insufferable. Alfie scored lots but he also missed lots. Chances to win games fluffed against Exeter and Cambridge to name just two. 

He went on a 15-16 game run where he only scored once midway through the season and when your gameplan is “get it to Alfie” but he’s gone off the boil, it  means you start flirting with relegation.

That’s not to say we didn’t all love what he did in a Charlton shirt this past season.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Don’t give a shit about losing may, he scored goals in a meaningless wanky season.

I’d put money on it now that the team scores more goals next season than we did last.

absolutely nothing against him but let’s not pretend he’s something that he wasn’t 
    Wow. Just wow.

In 2 sentences you've said -

1) that we are going to score more goals than last season, even though we've lost 2 players that scored 31 league goals between them & the rest of the team (that remain) scored 19.

2) that we shouldn't pretend he's something he's not....and what is that precisely? Someone who has scored over 60 goals in the past 3 seasons. 
    He was with us for one season and we finished 16th.

despite not having May 15 teams finished above us

despite not having May 9 teams scored more goals than us

despite not having May 11 teams had a better goal difference than us 

He wants the team set up to suit him and we did that last season with the above results.

Jones wants the team to work/play differently so he wants out.

Our valuation has been met , good luck Alfie.
    And as I said before, without May we’d have been relegated. 
    Do you think that’ll be the case this season?
    I have no idea but it can't help. 
  • Options
    To be honest whilst i don't agree with us selling May to a side in the same division, i'm not as angry as some appear to be. 

Too much emphasis is put on having a 20+ goal striker. Obviously that helps but it's going to be much better if we have 4-5 players getting into double figures than one guy getting 25 and the rest getting nowhere. Last year May got 23, CBT got 8, Kanu got 6 and then the next highest was 3. So it's no surprise that we struggled.

All i'm bothered about is that the squad overall looks better by the start of August. Our problem is a rubbish defence and a lack of creativity, so without improving those areas we'll go nowhere. We have made defensive signings but there is still a very obvious lack of anyone to create chances (and of course now a striker to convert them).
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Don’t give a shit about losing may, he scored goals in a meaningless wanky season.

I’d put money on it now that the team scores more goals next season than we did last.

absolutely nothing against him but let’s not pretend he’s something that he wasn’t 
    Wow. Just wow.

In 2 sentences you've said -

1) that we are going to score more goals than last season, even though we've lost 2 players that scored 31 league goals between them & the rest of the team (that remain) scored 19.

2) that we shouldn't pretend he's something he's not....and what is that precisely? Someone who has scored over 60 goals in the past 3 seasons. 
    He was with us for one season and we finished 16th.

despite not having May 15 teams finished above us

despite not having May 9 teams scored more goals than us

despite not having May 11 teams had a better goal difference than us 

He wants the team set up to suit him and we did that last season with the above results.

Jones wants the team to work/play differently so he wants out.

Our valuation has been met , good luck Alfie.
    And as I said before, without May we’d have been relegated. 
    Do you think that’ll be the case this season?
    Is a squad that can get promotion? That’s the only aim. 
  • Options
    I trust in Jones.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The phone call from Tom Brady must have twisted Alfie's arm......
  • Options
    has he gone yet ? .. perhaps we sent Aneke as a ringer and he failed the medical 
  • Options
    has he gone yet ? .. perhaps we sent Aneke as a ringer and he failed the medical 
    That would be very difficult.
  • Options
    Hi I’m Alfie May, I’m here for my medical 

• Options
    Jones probably figures that strengthening the defence and preventing goals is more important than a 20 odd goal a season goalscorer.

He may well be right, as it only takes one goal and a clean sheet to bag the 3 points.
    No point in getting two goals out of an Alfie, but still only drawing or losing and that's where we were last season.
  • Options
    For that to work, Alfie would have had to have hit 92-goals
  • Options
    About to be announced by Birmingham it looks like 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I feel like someone has stolen my Ben May joke!!

Louis Mendez on X: "Ben May coming out of retirement?" / X
  • Options
    Put in a request to move himself according to the club

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/alfie-may-joins-birmingham-city
  • Options
    https://x.com/cafcofficial/status/1808198958524911727?s=46&t=A-w3Eq0EWWpjMxring904Q

He handed in a written transfer request after we rejected a bid last week.
  • Options
    He looks really upset 
    Not sure why if it was his choice 
  • Options
    Just seen the announcement from Birmingham as well, is that seriously their new kit he's wearing, looks like something from the 90s
  • Options
    Well… fair play.. good Luck Alfie… big boots to fill and a lot of goals to replace..