Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie May - signed for Birmingham (p56 - confirmed & video message from him)

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    Ridiculous decision to sell him. Top goal scorer and a genuine box to box player. Must have some belter lined up to replace him. 

If he gets off to a flyer at brum and we struggle for goals, Jones has a lot to answer too. 
    He's hardly Steven Gerrard is he?
    He's really, really bad defensively. Which isn't his job. But in terms of pressing he'll run at someone then not have the foggiest idea what to do once he gets there. Probably one of Jones' marks against him. 

Anyway, to back up my scintillating insight from yesterday which you all loved, it always strikes me that Charlton fans in all our abused mania will always do that annoying thing where we have a couple of players who are infallible heroes, and the rest are all 'shit' or at the very most 'bogstandard League One footballers'. Frankly I'm not unhappy that our two infallible heroes are gone. Maybe some of the others' qualities might be a bit more appreciated, and maybe we're signing people who can help us finish high up the table, which our infallible heroes couldn't 
     Crikey Leuth... You of all people criticising others for having 'infallible heroes' is something else! 
    I never had infallible heroes. I simply backed flawed players whose good work was completely ignored by huge sections of the fanbase because we are an abused and insane army of the damned 
    Like, literally 1 minute ago on the transfer rumours thread, someone said Hector and Thomas had an error in them 'every game'. Every game! This is simply the sort of narrative I go up against. I'm happy we're apparently signing better centre-halves than them, for the record. I'm also happy we're signing centre-forwards Jones trusts more than May. 
  • Options
    Sad that money was the motivation for the move here. Birmingham have a similar crackpot ownership that we've had here over the last 10 years or so. Alfie would have known this but went for the move anyway. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Carter said:
    NabySarr said:
    Carter said:
    Birmingham have just made the signing of the season, a guy who scores for fun at this level, works his nuts off and antagonises the opposition. They have signed a ready made cult hero. 

We are now back to less forwards than we had for the last couple of seasons and only one of them stays fit. Triffic
    I’m not sure he will actually do that amazingly there. If it was Huddersfield he’d probably score loads but it remains to be seen how Birmingham will play/set up and whether that will suit May
    He scored tons for a truly shit Charlton team and even more for a less shit, but still limited Cheltenham Town. He will dip his bread there and their fans will love him
    He scored tons for two sides who set themselves up entirely to feed him and basically him alone, with the result that other forward players were cast as support act. He may have scored 20 but he probably should have scored 30 given some of the chances he wasted. But here's the thing - are Birmingham going to do that? Will his pace hold up? Will Birmingham have a better penalty taker (probably)? Or is this more of the worst football takes you've all ever seen, blah blah 
    Are you taking the p***?
    To be fair, I do see sense in what Leuth is saying. 
  • Options
    Tin pot decision. Imagine if it was anyone else in this league letting go of their and the leagues top goal scorer to a rival. The absolute jubilation on here if we had pulled off such a move from an opposing side. 

Makes Birmingham look like a club with ambition.

Makes us look like we're here to make up the numbers.

No CBT, no Dobson and no May come tomorrow and season starts in 5 weeks. Need to get very busy in bringing in quality for this not to look like regression or even just standing still in respect of the squad.

Fingers crossed Jones knows what he's doing and there is some kind of masterplan rather than this just being more of what we've seen for last few seasons.
    The plan is… Fingers crossed.

Some plan.
  • Options
    His goals kept us up last season, as would have one goal by Lyle Taylor had he played those last 6 games, and it was great to have a prolific goal scorer once again but if he has gone then he’s gone. If there are factors that have meant I’m not necessarily as concerned about it as I should be then those factors are we were giving him a free rein at first when he got most of his goals but that also meant we had gaps elsewhere (which maybe is why Nathan wouldn’t want him); Exeter away when he broke free (not something he did very often) to a one on one with the keeper wasn’t an encouraging sign for a striker (I wonder if Birmingham saw that in a montage ?); and if Birmingham supposedly have a £20 million transfer budget why we let him go for a rumoured fee of just £750k or why there wasn’t a queue of clubs after him (don’t say it’s because he is 31, he’s in his prime as a striker or a strike partner). Anyway, good luck Alfie and hopefully you’ll have a good season helping Birmingham trying to keep up with Charlton.

• Options

I seem to remember talk on here back end of last year from someone on here that reading between the lines has a in/know Gooden that he was desperate to come here. I do wonder if this has been on the cards for sometime and Jones has therefore been quite relaxed on Alfie going.

• Options

I seem to remember talk on here back end of last year from someone on here that reading between the lines has a in/know Gooden that he was desperate to come here. I do wonder if this has been on the cards for sometime and Jones has therefore been quite relaxed on Alfie going.

He was linked with us at the start of May (the month, not Alfie).

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/coventry-city-striker-linked-summer-29099072.amp
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don’t give a shit about losing may, he scored goals in a meaningless wanky season.

I’d put money on it now that the team scores more goals next season than we did last.

absolutely nothing against him but let’s not pretend he’s something that he wasn’t 
    Wow. Just wow.

In 2 sentences you've said -

1) that we are going to score more goals than last season, even though we've lost 2 players that scored 31 league goals between them & the rest of the team (that remain) scored 19.

2) that we shouldn't pretend he's something he's not....and what is that precisely? Someone who has scored over 60 goals in the past 3 seasons. 
    He was with us for one season and we finished 16th.

despite not having May 15 teams finished above us

despite not having May 9 teams scored more goals than us

despite not having May 11 teams had a better goal difference than us 

He wants the team set up to suit him and we did that last season with the above results.

Jones wants the team to work/play differently so he wants out.

Our valuation has been met , good luck Alfie.
    And as I said before, without May we’d have been relegated. 
    Do you think that’ll be the case this season?
  • Options
    edited July 2
    Don’t give a shit about losing may, he scored goals in a meaningless wanky season.

I’d put money on it now that the team scores more goals next season than we did last.

absolutely nothing against him but let’s not pretend he’s something that he wasn’t 
    Wow. Just wow.

1) that we are going to score more goals than last season, even though we've lost 2 players that scored 31 league goals between them & the rest of the team (that remain) scored 19.

2) that we shouldn't pretend he's something he's not....and what is that precisely? Someone who has scored over 60 goals in the past 3 seasons. 

He wants the team set up to suit him and we did that last season with the above results.

Possibly but we were set up to suit him which we won’t be doing next season regardless of if he’s here or not.

the way we were set up/played last year is as responsible as anything for us being so shit
  • Options

Wow. Just wow.

As a line, this is almost as maddening as comparing this to when Kermorgant left, aka Charlton's 9/11. We signed someone as a main striker and gave him all the penalties and stuff and he scored a bunch of goals. Without May we'd have signed a different striker and someone else would have taken the penalties and maybe the butterfly wouldn't have flapped its wings in the rainforest and maybe Leaburn wouldn't have been injured and maybe we'd have finished higher
  • Options

Wow. Just wow.

Yeah, he was really handy last season. We're trying to do something different now though and Jones doesn't think he fits. We've brought in a systems manager to put in a system that requires full buy in from the players and from the owners. May doesn't suit it, doesn't like not suiting it, we've parted ways. What May did last season in a barely stitched together Holden team then a weird Andy Scott presents: Michael Appleton's players team in January is irrelevant in the face of what we're trying to do now. May was a bright spark in a horrible team and a reminder that your very good players will achieve nothing for you if you don't have the rest of the players around them figured out. Jones just has to get it right now.
  • Options
    Lets be honest,  to go from 16th last season , is one almighty stretch.

Not impossible, but a big jump, and a big ask, we'd need to chuck serious dough at it.

Maybe the funding is not their from the owners , after all Charlie said if he asked the board for money for transfers , he and other investors have to match it , or his & their 'percentage stake' in Charlton would reduce , so the obvious way to raise cash is by player sales.

Godden in , to me seems like a backwards move, 5 years ago maybe.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    pettgra said:
    I am surprised how naive I am.
    When Alfie said look forward to seeing you at the Valley next season, I did think he meant more than twice.
    I only make that one visit to The Valley Next Season, when he no doubt scores the winner for Birmingham...🙄
  • Options
    pettgra said:
    When Alfie said look forward to seeing you at the Valley next season, I did think he meant more than twice.
    I only make that one visit to The Valley Next Season, when he no doubt scores the winner for Birmingham...🙄
    We’ve also got them at home in the cup 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    pettgra said:
    We’ve also got them at home in the cup 
    Would they risk playing him ? If they’ve got a large transfer budget and putting it into bouncing back at the first attempt then cup matches are not goi going to be a priority, particularly one where it’s Sod’s Law he will injure himself on a pitch where he covered every blade of grass last season and we’ve gone and completely replaced it with a whole new pitch that will play differently
  • Options
    edited July 2
    Croydon said:
    ozaddick said:
    Squads win promotion, absolutely Idiotic decision by the club. And to a promotion rival ffs
    Such a Charlton thing to do, when will we learn??? 

Wankers. 
    Let's be honest, as it stands they're not even a promotion rival. We are so far off a challenge with the current squad. We're going to need some magic in this window to get us up there.
    Croydon…….again staking his claim to be our No1 doom & gloom cheerleader for the 24/25 season.
    Christ almighty, you are one negative sod mate, never a word of encouragement or positivity, fuck having a seat next to you.🤨
  • Options
    The only bit of positivity I can see from this saga is that May is going to Birmingham not Huddersfield.
    The Huddersfield manager has experience deploying Alfie to good effect, the Birmingham manager hasn’t had the same experience.