Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie May - signed for Birmingham (p56 - confirmed & video message from him)

Comments

• Options

• Options
    Scott was the most influential player I have seen at Charlton and was gutted that he left but it was a move he engineered so couldn’t blame the club 
    I’m of the opinion that Alfie has somewhat engineered this move. Just my opinion. 
    Personally not sure he's engineered it, but also don't reckon it's just a case of Jones "not rating him". Think it's somewhere between myself.
  • Options
    Wow.....talk about shooting yourself in the foot.....hope Jones has something up his sleeve as it could go south very quickly
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    chev said:
    Seems to be the consensus. Jones backing himself here. Promotion or it’s failure. That was the case even with May. 

There is no replacement in the squad. Leaburn and Aneke can’t stay fit, and even if they could, neither of them are getting 25+ goals - I doubt they could even do that between them. Kanu is a raw talent who probably isn’t ready for a promotion contending team. 

Even if you say “OK, if we get goals across the rest of the team, we only need 15 from any replacement.” - is that even happening? Can Leaburn do that? Are there goals in our midfield? 

Goalscorers are hard to find. We had the best one outside of The Championship and we’ve let him go to a promotion rival. 

What happens if Jones is sacked by January? It’s not an impossible scenario with this ownership group. 

I don’t think promotion is a realistic aim for this club now. 
    If Leaburn stays fit I think he can get 20 (he got 12 as an 18 year old playing his first season of men’s football), but that should be a bonus rather than something we rely on with his fitness record 

If Leaburn does not sign a new contract he will be sold before the end of the window.  (This is my view, I am not ITK).

We should have a buy back clause in Mays sale. If they are promoted they probably won't want him, he will be a year older and given recent history, Jones will probably have been sacked.
    I doubt Leaburn will have sufficient interest atm given his recent injuries.
    Next summer could be a different matter if he bangs in 15 goals.
  • Options
    The joy garnered from supporting a league one club is often about moments rather than matches.  I'll miss these moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR6PQAu9QQY 
    Alfie was our only bit of joy, in an extremely stressful season, let’s hope the money is reinvested wisely.
    Saved us from relegation.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Carter said:
    NabySarr said:
    Carter said:
    Birmingham have just made the signing of the season, a guy who scores for fun at this level, works his nuts off and antagonises the opposition. They have signed a ready made cult hero. 

We are now back to less forwards than we had for the last couple of seasons and only one of them stays fit. Triffic
    I’m not sure he will actually do that amazingly there. If it was Huddersfield he’d probably score loads but it remains to be seen how Birmingham will play/set up and whether that will suit May
    He scored tons for a truly shit Charlton team and even more for a less shit, but still limited Cheltenham Town. He will dip his bread there and their fans will love him
    He scored tons for two sides who set themselves up entirely to feed him and basically him alone, with the result that other forward players were cast as support act. He may have scored 20 but he probably should have scored 30 given some of the chances he wasted. But here's the thing - are Birmingham going to do that? Will his pace hold up? Will Birmingham have a better penalty taker (probably)? Or is this more of the worst football takes you've all ever seen, blah blah 
    Are you taking the p***?
  • Options
    Don’t give a shit about losing may, he scored goals in a meaningless wanky season.

I’d put money on it now that the team scores more goals next season than we did last.

absolutely nothing against him but let’s not pretend he’s something that he wasn’t 
    Good grief.
  • Options
    You wait ages and ages for a consistent Goalscorer to come along, and then……
    one arrives and we sell him for a £1m profit when we supposedly have plenty of transfer funds. 

Without NJ we would be in L2 and May would have gone anyway, but Nathan, you have used up your extra life and the clock starts ticking in a few weeks time, that sale was a needless own goal by you. 
    thing is IF a player (in this case May) is determined to go, i m o, let him go .. we don't want anyone on good money downing tools and taking the mick, all it does is cause dressing room unrest as will as cheesing off the fans .. take the money and look around for another striker who will fit into Jones's plans 
    I have it on good authority, Alfie wanted to stay at Charlton and see out his professional career with us - but, very shortly after Jones was appointed, he realised that Jones didn’t fancy him, and in reality Alfie didn’t ‘fit’ into what Jones wanted 

This is something - IMO - Alfie has had to put up with all his career - his height - even today, English football has a dislike of short players, especially as CF’s

It’s idiotic - what he lacks in height, he makes up for in so many other areas - and yes, I’m short as well, not much taller than Alfie - and whilst I was nowhere near his standard, I still did a shift as a CF in amateur footballer (an annoying wasp of a player I was)

So, if he knows he is not wanted in reality, and he is just over 30 years old, but still fit as a butchers dog, rapid, scores goals by the bucket load - yes Alfie, get that move - earn a shedload of money for your family, because they matter more than anything for Alfie, and rightly so

As for Charlton Athletic, our loss in my opinion 

If Jones has called this wrong, and season starts badly, and Alfie’s replacement is dog eggs, it’s gonna be toxic, and we are back to square root of fuck all ……
    The final paragraph nails things.

Jones will be hero or zero on this decision.  I'd class outside of the play-offs finish a poor decision in letting May go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are the club going to offer season ticket refunds to those who were told on the phone by the man himself that he was staying ? 
    Is that really what happened? I thought he was just roped in as part of a marketing campaign to flog season tickets rather than actually him or the club saying he’s staying and now he’s been sold.
  • Options
    I was thinking ’bad news.’

Then I  remembered that Birmingham are now in our division.  

Is it April fool’s?
  • Options
    Well it’s a ballsy decision, however we won’t find out until the end of May 2025 if it was a good or bad one 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Are the club going to offer season ticket refunds to those who were told on the phone by the man himself that he was staying ? 
    Is that really what happened? I thought he was just roped in as part of a marketing campaign to flog season tickets rather than actually him or the club saying he’s staying and now he’s been sold.
    He was. But on the video promo May says ‘I’m not going anywhere’
  • Options
    Tin pot decision. Imagine if it was anyone else in this league letting go of their and the leagues top goal scorer to a rival. The absolute jubilation on here if we had pulled off such a move from an opposing side. 

Makes Birmingham look like a club with ambition.

Makes us look like we're here to make up the numbers.

No CBT, no Dobson and no May come tomorrow and season starts in 5 weeks. Need to get very busy in bringing in quality for this not to look like regression or even just standing still in respect of the squad.

Fingers crossed Jones knows what he's doing and there is some kind of masterplan rather than this just being more of what we've seen for last few seasons.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Well it’s a ballsy decision, however we won’t find out until the end of May 2025 if it was a good or bad one 
    I think we'll have an idea far sooner than May 2025 in terms of goals and league standing in first few months of the season.
  • Options
    I don’t know Beds, maybe we’ll get a phone call from Alfie saying, nice knowing ya, but I’m off!
  • Options
    He’s rubbish anyway 
  • Options
    I'm not panicking yet, but we need to buy in some goals. No idea what the transfer value was we'll receive, but on paper it seems a bad decision, but only time will tell. And that time is running out to bring in enough bodies and the right one's.

Can't help but think we are going to look back and regret this, at the moment we have Aneke who can't start and misses much of most seasons, Leaburn (coming back from a serious injury) and Kanu. That's not enough fire power to get us out of this league, effectively 1.5 fit strikers. Not like the current midfield is full of goals either........
  • Options
    edited July 2

Don’t want him to go but If Jones wants to go a different route and cash in, we must trust him.

I have been crying out for us to have a plan/strategy for years rather than he is a good player, or his stats are good approach we have had in the past without a thought of how they fit into a style of play, I cant now moan when it now seems we are working recruitment around how we want to play.

I think as unpopular or wrong this decision seems it may be for the greater good of the project.

• Options
    Ridiculous decision to sell him. Top goal scorer and a genuine box to box player. Must have some belter lined up to replace him. 

If he gets off to a flyer at brum and we struggle for goals, Jones has a lot to answer too. 
    He's hardly Steven Gerrard is he?
  • Options
    Ridiculous decision to sell him. Top goal scorer and a genuine box to box player. Must have some belter lined up to replace him. 

If he gets off to a flyer at brum and we struggle for goals, Jones has a lot to answer too. 
    He's hardly Steven Gerrard is he?
    He's really, really bad defensively. Which isn't his job. But in terms of pressing he'll run at someone then not have the foggiest idea what to do once he gets there. Probably one of Jones' marks against him. 

Anyway, to back up my scintillating insight from yesterday which you all loved, it always strikes me that Charlton fans in all our abused mania will always do that annoying thing where we have a couple of players who are infallible heroes, and the rest are all 'shit' or at the very most 'bogstandard League One footballers'. Frankly I'm not unhappy that our two infallible heroes are gone. Maybe some of the others' qualities might be a bit more appreciated, and maybe we're signing people who can help us finish high up the table, which our infallible heroes couldn't