Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie May - signed for Birmingham (p56 - confirmed & video message from him)

Comments

• Options
    Scott was the most influential player I have seen at Charlton and was gutted that he left but it was a move he engineered so couldn’t blame the club 
    I’m of the opinion that Alfie has somewhat engineered this move. Just my opinion. 
    I think you’re right, it’s a final contract on more money and don’t blame him
  • Options
    LargeAddick said: 
    My son has only really got into football in the last year and the worst thing for me in this is trying to explain tohim why his first Charlton hero no longer plays for us.

Knew I made the right decision by getting his own name on his shirt rather than May's like he'd wanted!
    It’s character building and don’t forget to tell him to expect it to happen on a regular basis.
    Supporting Charlton, feels like one day you wake up, and feel like you’ve been misold a pension!
  • Options
    Scott was the most influential player I have seen at Charlton and was gutted that he left but it was a move he engineered so couldn’t blame the club 
    I’m of the opinion that Alfie has somewhat engineered this move. Just my opinion. 

I think so too, he didn't (and rightly IMO) feel he should be on the bench as a bit part player and the club would be more than happy to get an extra 1M back on our outgoings to use on players who Jones wants 
  • Options
    My son has only really got into football in the last year and the worst thing for me in this is trying to explain tohim why his first Charlton hero no longer plays for us.

Knew I made the right decision by getting his own name on his shirt rather than May's like he'd wanted!
    It’s character building and don’t forget to tell him to expect it to happen on a regular basis.
    Oh god yeah. He only needs to look at his dad to see what a lifetime of supporting Charlton does to a man. He's gonna have to get used to crushing disappointment quickly. 
  • Options
    I agree. I was told by a friend of his that Jones and May didn’t get along. But if he’s been offered £11k a week - probably double what he’s on at Charlton - then surely, his head has been turned
  • Options
    edited July 1
    Shame.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    This is getting embarrassing. You’d never see Messi show such desperation.
    Wrong thread?
  • Options
    Fair play to Alfie £25k per week is not to be sniffed at , especially at his age 

I heard £40k pw and £90k per goal bonus
    Can confirm I've also heard this but there's allegedly a 'passion' bonus worth approx 5k per gesture as well.
  • Options
    This is so much better than the George Dobson hissy fit fall out.
  • Options
    Don’t give a shit about losing may, he scored goals in a meaningless wanky season.

I’d put money on it now that the team scores more goals next season than we did last.

absolutely nothing against him but let’s not pretend he’s something that he wasn’t 
    Let’s see how you feel about that at the end of the season.
  • Options
    Apparently this has not appeared to have wound me up as much as selling Killer or Sven not taking Darren Bent to the World Cup must be mellowing with age.
    Or just used to it by now. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    In January I couldn’t see how May would leave, I thought he was worth more than anyone would pay.

Shows how much money there is in football when there are one or two L1 clubs who will pay £1m or close to it for a striker in his 30s with no Championship experience. 

I have doubts about him at Championship level but he is as close as we can get to guaranteed goals in a player at this level, Birmingham will do what I hoped we’d do and worry about that when they get there.

We need to replace him with two good strikers that leave us stronger overall. Big ask but we’ll see.
    He doesn’t need to be Championship level. He’s a proven League One goalscorer. I’d also bet anyone that can score 23 league goals in the third tier could probably do a half decent job in The Championship. 
    You might bet on that but not a single Championship side bet on it and I know who would be the better judge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You wait ages and ages for a consistent Goalscorer to come along, and then……
    one arrives and we sell him for a £1m profit when we supposedly have plenty of transfer funds. 

Without NJ we would be in L2 and May would have gone anyway, but Nathan, you have used up your extra life and the clock starts ticking in a few weeks time, that sale was a needless own goal by you. 
    thing is IF a player (in this case May) is determined to go, i m o, let him go .. we don't want anyone on good money downing tools and taking the mick, all it does is cause dressing room unrest as will as cheesing off the fans .. take the money and look around for another striker who will fit into Jones's plans 
  • Options
    Doesn’t fit the system that Nathan wants to play. 
    That will be a system of not scoring goals, not winning games and probably playing three mostly shit wingers “up-front”.

But they will work hard and have great stats at passing backwards. 
  • Options
    one arrives and we sell him for a £1m profit when we supposedly have plenty of transfer funds. 

Without NJ we would be in L2 and May would have gone anyway, but Nathan, you have used up your extra life and the clock starts ticking in a few weeks time, that sale was a needless own goal by you. 
    thing is IF a player (in this case May) is determined to go, i m o, let him go .. we don't want anyone on good money downing tools and taking the mick, all it does is cause dressing room unrest as will as cheesing off the fans .. take the money and look around for another striker who will fit into Jones's plans 
    I have it on good authority, Alfie wanted to stay at Charlton and see out his professional career with us - but, very shortly after Jones was appointed, he realised that Jones didn’t fancy him, and in reality Alfie didn’t ‘fit’ into what Jones wanted 

This is something - IMO - Alfie has had to put up with all his career - his height - even today, English football has a dislike of short players, especially as CF’s

It’s idiotic - what he lacks in height, he makes up for in so many other areas - and yes, I’m short as well, not much taller than Alfie - and whilst I was nowhere near his standard, I still did a shift as a CF in amateur footballer (an annoying wasp of a player I was)

So, if he knows he is not wanted in reality, and he is just over 30 years old, but still fit as a butchers dog, rapid, scores goals by the bucket load - yes Alfie, get that move - earn a shedload of money for your family, because they matter more than anything for Alfie, and rightly so

As for Charlton Athletic, our loss in my opinion 

If Jones has called this wrong, and season starts badly, and Alfie’s replacement is dog eggs, it’s gonna be toxic, and we are back to square root of fuck all ……
    So because Jones didn’t want to build the team/play around may he wanted to leave?
  • Options

I have it on good authority, Alfie wanted to stay at Charlton and see out his professional career with us - but, very shortly after Jones was appointed, he realised that Jones didn’t fancy him, and in reality Alfie didn’t ‘fit’ into what Jones wanted 

This is something - IMO - Alfie has had to put up with all his career - his height - even today, English football has a dislike of short players, especially as CF’s

It’s idiotic - what he lacks in height, he makes up for in so many other areas - and yes, I’m short as well, not much taller than Alfie - and whilst I was nowhere near his standard, I still did a shift as a CF in amateur footballer (an annoying wasp of a player I was)

So, if he knows he is not wanted in reality, and he is just over 30 years old, but still fit as a butchers dog, rapid, scores goals by the bucket load - yes Alfie, get that move - earn a shedload of money for your family, because they matter more than anything for Alfie, and rightly so

As for Charlton Athletic, our loss in my opinion 

If Jones has called this wrong, and season starts badly, and Alfie’s replacement is dog eggs, it’s gonna be toxic, and we are back to square root of fuck all ……
    So because Jones didn’t want to build the team/play around may he wanted to leave?
    No - because Jones don’t want him 

Why - well you will have to ask Jones 

Me - if I was Alfie, I would get out and move on - and I would do the same, even though I am CAFC through and through - because, at the end of the day, my family come before CAFC - pro footballer career is short…

He has landed on a very good deal aged over 30 - good for him

Nathan - over to you…..
  • Options
    As people have already said, unless we get in a suitable replacement and we aren't in the shake up at the end of the season this will be on Jones. All I would say is that the players bought into Jones ways (twice) at Luton where he was very successful and they blatantly didn't at Stoke (38 games) and Southampton (14). For that reason, the one thing Jones can't have is players who aren't totally committed to playing the way he wants to play hence Alfie's departure. We won't have to wait too long to find out who was right. 
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Doesn’t fit the system that Nathan wants to play. 
    That will be a system of not scoring goals, not winning games and probably playing three mostly shit wingers “up-front”.

But they will work hard and have great stats at passing backwards. 
    'Sir, permission to officially wet the bed, Sir'

'Not granted Fumbluff.'

'Sir, reporting an unofficial bed wetting incident.'
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Based on what?

Obviously you're entitled to an opinion, but I'd love to know what that's based on, because I've not heard or read anything of the sort. 

If it's no more than a "hunch" then that's pretty poor form.
    Alfie had booked himself in for private leg extensions operation, to make him 6 foot tall.
    Once his agent got Brum willing to double his wages, he cancelled the op and signed on the dotted line.