Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alfie May - signed for Birmingham (p56 - confirmed & video message from him)

Comments

• Options
    Only niggle is that he signed for Birmingham....a Midlands club. If he had gone to Huddersfield then fair play but just leaves a bad taste on the mouth. I know Huddersfield maybe needed to offer more, but effectively they offered more than we paid for him & after he put in a transfer request there was only going to be 1 outcome. What would happened if Brum hadnt have stepped in ??
    Looking at the map, Birmingham is still a fair distance from Doncaster, especially as their training ground is to the south of Birmingham, easily 2 hours each way. Surely he won't be commuting that journey every day, which begs the question of how much time he'll spend with his family anyway...

Gary O'Neill, the Wolves manager, he lives in Locksbottom.  Whilst playing for Bolton and on the coaching staff at Liverpool he did the commute.
    He based himself locally in Bromley for the vast majority of his career.
  • Options
    Only niggle is that he signed for Birmingham....a Midlands club. If he had gone to Huddersfield then fair play but just leaves a bad taste on the mouth. I know Huddersfield maybe needed to offer more, but effectively they offered more than we paid for him & after he put in a transfer request there was only going to be 1 outcome. What would happened if Brum hadnt have stepped in ??
    Looking at the map, Birmingham is still a fair distance from Doncaster, especially as their training ground is to the south of Birmingham, easily 2 hours each way. Surely he won't be commuting that journey every day, which begs the question of how much time he'll spend with his family anyway...

Gary O'Neill, the Wolves manager, he lives in Locksbottom.  Whilst playing for Bolton and on the coaching staff at Liverpool he did the commute.
    I bet he either had a flat up there or stayed in hotels a lot of the time though. So away from his family either way.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Leuth said:
    You know who else had a 20-goal (all comps) season for us, at a younger age than May? Jayden Stockley. He stayed for the next season. Anyone remember how that went? 
    Lyle Taylor
    Bradley Wright-Phillips
    Darren Bent
    Andy Hunt
    Clive Mendonca
    David Whyte
    Derek Hales
    Mike Flanagan
    Arthur Horsfield 
    Surprisingly I saw them all play. Favorite of course was Killer but King Arthur not far behind.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    The school situation was a really big factor in this.

he wasn’t going to be a regular under NJ was also a 
    factor

He knows he’s only got a couple of years left playing so it’s all a bit of a no-brainer tbf

tbf thanks for the memories. We all move on

I’ll be having words with my colleagues in Kent! 😤
  • Options

I bet he either had a flat up there or stayed in hotels a lot of the time though. So away from his family either way.

No, I spoke to him once on the train back from Victoria when he was playing for Bolton.  I also saw him get off at Euston wearing his Liverpool stuff around 6.15am.
  • Options
    Gutted. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Don’t want him to go but If Jones wants to go a different route and cash in, we must trust him.

I have been crying out for us to have a plan/strategy for years rather than he is a good player, or his stats are good approach we have had in the past without a thought of how they fit into a style of play, I cant now moan when it now seems we are working recruitment around how we want to play.

I think as unpopular or wrong this decision seems it may be for the greater good of the project.

Bingo!
  • Options
    What can you say after watching the reasons for leaving and saying how much he enjoyed it playing for Charlton for one season.

Thanks Alfie for the message.
  • Options
    Thanks for keeping us up.
    I won’t wish you all the best as it’s the blues & after they threw bricks at our kids coaches they can get to feck.
    However, I do hope your family are happy.
  • Options
    Good luck to Alfie. Wouldn’t want to wear that Birmingham shirt though for any money, absolutely horrendous. 
  • Options
    Charlton have been genuinely bad at finding a striker who can do the business for us. Kermogant, Taylor and now May all knew how to put the ball in the net, and for differing reasons moved on, to leave us with a gaping hole, which in the case of the first two took years to fill.
    Then there is the price. I don't know how many times Charlton are 'interested' in a player and we read on here that the parent club won't sell until they have a replacement signed up.
    At the Valley, we seem to drop our knickers for the first club that waves a couple of fivers at us, and then see who is available on a free. And that is why this sale for me puts a big question mark in front of our management team talk of 'ambitions'. If we were genuinely building a squad to battle for promotion, even knowing that Alfie had been offered a much higher wage and wanted to go, we would have told him to sit still while we lok foa an offer that suits us, and line up some replacements of a higher calibre.
    That neither seems to have happened and we've just accepted a low ball figure for last years leading leagu 1 goalscorer, from a potential promotion rival, says a lot about how serious we are, and for the moment, looks pretty uninspiring.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong if we pick up some decent attacking options (our current strike force of Leaburn, Kanu and Aneke is really not anyone's idea of a promotion line up) and happily eat humble pie, but lokked at today, this is a dumb ass move at every level, and says to everyone else that our best players are available for buttons.
    But we did.
  • Options
    Genuinely gutted and £775K just doesn't seem enough. 
    We have already spent £290K of it and have raised more money in transfers than we have spent in the two transfer windows these guys have owned us so far so I don't expect us to spend the rest of it.
    Good luck Alfie.
  • Options
    Cynic in me doesn't buy the family stuff that much, maybe i'm being harsh - good luck Alfie, class player and worked his bollocks off
    It feels a bit strange in that if it's that important Huddersfield made a lot more sense than Birmingham.  But ah well.

Real shame he's gone, good player and seemed a very nice guy.  Wish him luck.

If we signed more players that did very well for a year and left for a profit we'd be in a better place.

• Options
    edited July 2

Don’t want him to go but If Jones wants to go a different route and cash in, we must trust him.

I have been crying out for us to have a plan/strategy for years rather than he is a good player, or his stats are good approach we have had in the past without a thought of how they fit into a style of play, I cant now moan when it now seems we are working recruitment around how we want to play.

I think as unpopular or wrong this decision seems it may be for the greater good of the project.

Then they should come out and say that then. I’ve got no problem with Alfie May, but the video that should have been put out was a Jones video stating that he’s prepared to make tough calls to make the team better etc. Maybe we’ll eventually get that, maybe not.

But the absolute shite about moving up north (plausible Huddersfield, laughable Birmingham) being the primary factor is just insulting. After all, we know he thought he’d still be here when they made him flog season tickets just a few short months ago… everything’s fallen apart for the May’s since then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Genuinely gutted and £775K just doesn't seem enough. 
    We have already spent £290K of it and have raised more money in transfers than we have spent in the two transfer windows these guys have owned us so far so I don't expect us to spend the rest of it.
    Good luck Alfie.
    Couldn’t agree more, he was a wanted man by two clubs that seemingly have money to spend. We didn’t have to sell and potentially 2 more years on contract. Surely we could’ve achieved £1M upfront plus add-ons quite easily I would’ve thought. 
  • Options
    Cynic in me doesn't buy the family stuff that much, maybe i'm being harsh - good luck Alfie, class player and worked his bollocks off
    It feels a bit strange in that if it's that important Huddersfield made a lot more sense than Birmingham.  But ah well.

If we signed more players that did very well for a year and left for a profit we'd be in a better place.

Not if Huddersfield didn’t match our valuation it didn’t. Not saying that’s the case but who knows. Even so if Brum were offering a couple of k extra per week I’m sure the extra travelling each day will be worth it.
  • Options
    As said the other day, it doesn't matter how much truth there is, people will only ever believe what THEY want to believe.

Good luck to him, shame he has to move on and would be happier having him around but can't argue with the reasons (unless you think he's lying because he owes so much to Jones and the board of course) 
  • Options
    He seemed genuine to me in the video and on the basis given for him going you can’t blame the guy. Happy family and more money for him and a decent profit for the club. Goodluck Alfie I hope you keep banging them in ! Apart from against us ofcourse 😜 
  • Options
    edited July 2

Not if Huddersfield didn’t match our valuation it didn’t. Not saying that’s the case but who knows. Even so if Brum were offering a couple of k extra per week I’m sure the extra travelling each day will be worth it.
    Indeed but that's the point I'm making, if it's about money fine, but the 'my family's the important thing' is slightly contradictory with then not taking the option that moved closest to them.

As I say, good luck to him and hope he does well (to a degree I guess given they're in the same league!), just agreed with cafcsinger on being slightly cynical over his reasoning in the video.
  • Options
    More money and closer to Doncaster. 

177 miles from the Valley to Doncaster 
    77 miles from Birmingham to Doncaster

Good luck Alfie, NJ better had got this right. 
  • Options
    Shame. See ya Alan! 
    Who is Alan?
  • Options
    Thanks Alfie for helping make last season bearable at times. I'm glad you were a Charlton player even if it was for only a year.
    It's important to get your kids as good a secondary school as possible. I hope the move to BCFC brings you and your family everything you are looking for.
    Good luck and when you come to the Valley next season please leave your scoring boots accidentally on purpose back at home in Yorkshire.
  • Options
    Letting Dobson go was reasonable but now letting May go is ripping out any spine the team had.
    Convinces me that the owners happy enough for us to be a 3rd div (league1) team.