Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Political advertising in Stadiums

I was interested that Dartford has an advert which celebrates that the ground was built by a Conservative Council.

I find this quite ironic because various Tories were always critical of political opponents using political advertising for other purposes.They hated the way Ken Livingstone used to promote the GLC back in the day when it was being abolished.

Before seeing this I had never seen an advert so party political apart from in Scotland when I had seen the SNP have advertisements at a few lower league teams.None of those ever claimed credit for building the ground.

My question is. Who paid for it? It would seem to be inappropriate for the ratepayers to foot the bill. Therefore it is political advertising which I would suggest is a difficult avenue for any club to go down.

Comments

• Options
    That sign has been there for years - a very long time - since 2006 - the Council built it I believe - Jeremy Kite, Tory leader of Dartford Council is / was on the board of Directors of DFC (don’t know if he still is) 
  • Options
    To be fair that banner celebrates Dartford Council, and not a particular party. After all Charlton have plenty of links with Greenwich 
  • Options
    To be fair that banner celebrates Dartford Council, and not a particular party. After all Charlton have plenty of links with Greenwich 
    Have to call you out on that - no offence - if it didn’t have the word ‘Conservative’ then you are on the money - sadly it has that word ….
  • Options
    Have to call you out on that - no offence - if it didn’t have the word ‘Conservative’ then you are on the money - sadly it has that word ….
    Which is my point.

Were Labour councillors against the ground being built?

I don't recall such a partisan advert at the Valley.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Arent we all Tories at Charlton based on what the Barnsley fans were yelling at us last season?
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Which is my point.

Were Labour councillors against the ground being built?

I don't recall such a partisan advert at the Valley.
    Re Labour - don’t know 

BUT - it has always been something that has ‘talked’ to me - it’s like a desperation statement - look at us - a Tory Council has actually spent money, built a football ground, for the local team 

It’s actually bollocks 

But I am a bit pissed now, so I will tell the true story when I have got my books out etc etc 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    I was interested that Dartford has an advert which celebrates that the ground was built by a Conservative Council.

I find this quite ironic because various Tories were always critical of political opponents using political advertising for other purposes.They hated the way Ken Livingstone used to promote the GLC back in the day when it was being abolished.

Before seeing this I had never seen an advert so party political apart from in Scotland when I had seen the SNP have advertisements at a few lower league teams.None of those ever claimed credit for building the ground.

My question is. Who paid for it? It would seem to be inappropriate for the ratepayers to foot the bill. Therefore it is political advertising which I would suggest is a difficult avenue for any club to go down.
    I find this ironic as the architect that designed the stadium was a friend of mine and stood as a councillor for the Green Party 
    You can tell him he did a great job. It's certainly one of the better non-league grounds I've been to. Although I do love the ramshackle look of some of the older grounds that have developed piecemeal fashion over the years.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

I find this ironic as the architect that designed the stadium was a friend of mine and stood as a councillor for the Green Party 
    Why is it ironic?
    Did he pay for it?

or was it just an architect doing their job ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's not that unusual for councils to advertise, or seek recognition of projects they have contributed to - I seem to remember Lewisham council sponsoring a minor football team in the borough in the late 80s, but both this and the 'GLC - working for London' campaigns in the mid 80s didn't specifically mention a political party.

But there are rules round these things, and there's definitely something that draws a line between advertising something that X council has done and something that X party has done.

If this advert mentions a political party, then it should not be paid for out of public / council funds, but be paid for by that political party, in the same way that in some places you get something through the door now and then saying how great your council is, which can be paid for by the ratepayers, but the one that comes round before the election saying how great this party has been in running your council - vote for us, has to be paid for by the party.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Richard J said:

Why is it ironic?
    Did he pay for it?

or was it just an architect doing their job ? 
    No he wasn’t just an architect doing his job, he tendered for the contract putting forward a design that at the time was the most ecological football stadium anywhere in the world, it won many awards and he was approached by Barcelona as a result about their stadium design and upgrading. So I would say he had a lot more to do with it than the council just allocating tax payers money.

Stig, I wish I could send him your praises, sadly he is no longer with us. But that and some other projects he did are a great legacy
  • Options
    It doesn't have the word Conservative on it though. 

• Options
    edited July 2023

That is a different board to the one I am refying to .The advert in the ground clearly says Built by a Conservative Council.

I hope that public money wasn't spent on this.

It is even more ironic if a Green Party member designed it 
  • Options

and blue and white seems (from a quick look at their website) to be dartford council's colours.

don't know how long that's been their colours, and / or whether they were adopted on political grounds - i read once that there was somewhere (in the days when councils ran corporation bus fleets) where the corporation bus livery tended to change when the council changed political hands.

although lewisham council tends to be blue for things like dustcarts and street signs (and have been ever since i can remember) and lewisham council hasn't been tory controlled since 1971...
  • Options

If you had pointed your camera exactly opposite that sign/the dugouts, you would have seen the sign which takes up a fair amount of that side of the stand. Far bigger than any of the advertising hoardings you have shown there.
  • Options
    Princes Park cites ‘a Conservative Council’ on the sign opposite the Tunnel.
    One good thing about the ground is that huge sculpture of something like a player, or spectator, or linesperson on the terrace opposite the main stand.
    Tories or not, the sculpture is cool.
  • Options
    a Conservative Council sign might be something to do with Labour breaking an election pledge to bring Dartford Football Club back home.

Council Leader Jeremy Kite (Conservative) announced and then built a great non league stadia. 

The stadium is owned by Dartford Borough Council.
  • Options

There are 2 signs - I am referring to the other sign, which defo states ‘Conservative’ - opposite side of the pitch to the sign in your post 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Badger said:
    a Conservative Council sign might be something to do with Labour breaking an election pledge to bring Dartford Football Club back home.

Council Leader Jeremy Kite (Conservative) announced and then built a great non league stadia. 

My point is should ratepayers pay for it?

If you think they should it opens a real can of worms.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Badger said:

pay for the ground or the hoarding?
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Richard J said:
    Badger said:

The hoarding.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Richard J said:
    Badger said:

The hoarding.
    Do you know if they paid for it or was it part of the deal to include a couple of hoardings?
  • Options
    I'd be very interested to hear any anecdotes, views or stories @Airman Brown would care to share on this topic
  • Options
    Dartford Council did fund the construction of Princes Park, and still own it - cost was circa £7m in 2006
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Richard J said:
    Badger said:

The hoarding.
    Do you know if they paid for it or was it part of the deal to include a couple of hoardings?
    I don't know which is why I asked the question.

I am uneasy that it is so blatantly Party political and if it was paid for by the ratepayers then it seems inappropriate.

In my experience football clubs need the goodwill of local politicians of all persuasions and they wouldn't wish to be identified with one political party so publicly.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Badger said:

I'd rather pay for lower league grounds, than those owned by multi millionaires 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Richard J said:
    Badger said:

I'd rather pay for lower league grounds, than those owned by multi millionaires 
    Agreed.

I made it clear that it is the advert which I am referring to.

Claiming credit in a partisan way feels like political advertising rather than promoting local services.