Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Spam / scam emails

Is it just me, or is anyone else’s inbox becoming ever more cluttered with spammy / scam shit that seems to take ever more increasing forms?

It wasn’t too bad when I was at a WPP agency (I presume the companies firewall stopped it before it reached my inbox 99pc of the time). But since starting my own business, my standard outlook address is getting peppered with all kinds of shit.

Most common ones are virtual assistant offers, lead generation, google search ranking help, sales support etc. Sounds legit but half the time you look up the person on LinkedIn and they don’t seem to exist. I block and report all the time….. and then it comes back and you see they have changed one letter in the email address or something. Oh and I stay away from the unsubscribe button as I presume there is a dose of malware waiting there.

I get more of them than normal emails now …… is this just part of normal life? Also spoke to the Apple Store and they said I’m wasting my time investing in malware / spyware protection on my MacBook as Apples own internal protections squash everything out anyway?

Be good to hear anyone else’s experiences.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Yes, I seem to get an endless stream day and night, admittedly the majority go into my junk mail folder but I do find it infuriating that I don’t appear to be able to do anything about it, other than get a new email address but ultimately that’ll be passed on by some cnut so doesn’t seem worth it.
  • Options
    Stop spoiling it for everyone.  I can retire in comfort thanks to my new friend Dr Da Silva of the Peruvian Office of Finance.
  • Options
    For me, it seems to go in waves. I can go for weeks without any spam, then I am inundated for a couple of weeks.  Currently in a quite phase.
  • Options
    Are you advertising your email address on your website?
  • Options
    Is it just me, or is anyone else’s inbox becoming ever more cluttered with spammy / scam shit that seems to take ever more increasing forms?

It wasn’t too bad when I was at a WPP agency (I presume the companies firewall stopped it before it reached my inbox 99pc of the time). But since starting my own business, my standard outlook address is getting peppered with all kinds of shit.

Most common ones are virtual assistant offers, lead generation, google search ranking help, sales support etc. Sounds legit but half the time you look up the person on LinkedIn and they don’t seem to exist. I block and report all the time….. and then it comes back and you see they have changed one letter in the email address or something. Oh and I stay away from the unsubscribe button as I presume there is a dose of malware waiting there.

I get more of them than normal emails now …… is this just part of normal life? Also spoke to the Apple Store and they said I’m wasting my time investing in malware / spyware protection on my MacBook as Apples own internal protections squash everything out anyway?

i'd love to talk about this more with you!! 

please drop your e-mail and we can discuss this further
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Are you advertising your email address on your website?

Nope.

Something off with our company LinkedIn page as well. In January, out of nowhere, we got 3,000 new followers who had no credible interest in a sports sponsorship technology business. Taxi drivers from Delhi, chefs from Egypt etc. totally random and loads of fake accounts. This seemed to align with the increase in spam emails / scammers.

I’ve been speaking to the LinkedIn tech team, and they suspect somebody purchased a load of followers for our account - in order to screw our engagement percentage and therefore visibility. And this has essentially put us in the wrong spotlight.
  • Options

Why don’t you share any help on here, I’m sure there are many of us who could do with some tips, if you have some?
  • Options

Why don’t you share any help on here, I’m sure there are many of us who could do with some tips, if you have some?
    i hate to do this but...

wooosh
  • Options
    Must be lucky, don’t have a problem with spam .... except getting it out of the tin.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Must be lucky, don’t have a problem with spam .... except getting it out of the tin.

• Options

This sounds like the filtering software on your email provider’s servers isn’t good enough, and then Outlook is getting fooled, too, and putting the shite in your inbox instead of the junk box. If you keep marking it as spam, Outlook should get better at identifying it. 
  • Options

i hate to do this but...

wooosh
    You B'stard😾😹
  • Options
    By the way, because I use a number of different email addresses for different purposes, I use an email client. Over time that kind of learns what is junk and the number you get diminishes. 
    (I use the Thunderbird email client - it's free - to read all my emails in one place - I am sure there are others.)
  • Options
    This is an example of the kind of stuff I get that gets you questioning what is plain old spam, and what could be more sinister.....

So a guy messages asking if we are interested in virtual PAs, social media help etc...... And he seems to have a significant online profile. YouTube videos. websites. Social handles. 

All seems legit right?

I checked out one of the YouTube videos and he seems real...... Dutch accent..... chatting face to camera. But some looked a bit glitchy.

Then searched the name on Facebook:

WTF - 6 profiles all with slightly different pics of the same guy. Some look almost AI generated.

So naturally email goes to junk, but what's that all about? Surely that's a scammer right there.

Search the name on YT.... look at the numbers of views on the videos....

Something is proper off with that one.