Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fiji?

We’re considering a family holiday in Fiji (Nadi) in May.

We’re learning towards Hilton Doubletree, but looks like you need to catch a boat to get there (short boat ride).

Enough for kids to do (13 and 11 years old) on a 6 day trip?

Do you need to hire a car? Really just looking for a relaxing holiday at the beach/pool with a few activities.

Is food / booze very expensive?

Any tips are much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    I would spend 3 days on 2 different islands. 
  • Options
    I would stroke a rabbit if it asked me to
  • Options
    It's over 30 years since I was there (in early April), so may have changed a bit.  Flew into Nadi, and stayed at the Regent of Fiji (not sure if it still called that?). Took some trips out to smaller islands, which were very nice, and also a road trip around parts of the island (including to the gold mine).  For some reason, it reminded me of Wales!!! The people were very nice, but I didn't venture outside the hotel so don't know if it's expensive or not.  The weather was lovely but with a few showers, which could be heavy, but you could always see them coming! Have a great time if you go!
  • Options
    I stayed in Fiji for a few days when travellng in 2009. It wasn't very expensive and there are a few buses (which have no windows- great) which I used to get around. I stayed at Club Fiji in Nadi. It was nice but may be a little down market for your trip and the beach was OK but not great. I would recommend getting out either by road trip or sea by booking something (through the hotel works or I guess online now) and if by sea you can visit some of the other small islands. In Nadi you may get hassled to buy tat if you go into souvenier shops (they are very persuasive) and when I was in Fiji there was a bit of resentment by the indigenous people towards the Asian people. Lots of Kiwis and Aussies when I was there and the Fiji Gold beer was great. Might be best to avoid the Kava though! Have a great trip
  • Options
    Seems a long way to go for a relaxing holiday at the beach/pool 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    He lives in New Zealand…..so not so far.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I assume he lived somewhere there. Probably better off asking people in NZ perhaps?!

For the record I spent a week there in 2005. Very relaxing place but not a great deal to do other that scuba dive and typical beach stuff. You take water taxis to get to the islands and the main island isn't recommended. 
  • Options

MrOneLung said:
    Yep, only a 3 hour flight from Auckland.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I assume he lived somewhere there. Probably better off asking people in NZ perhaps?!

For the record I spent a week there in 2005. Very relaxing place but not a great deal to do other that scuba dive and typical beach stuff. You take water taxis to get to the islands and the main island isn't recommended. 
    Will ask around here too, but in the past I’ve been impressed with the tips from the CL users in general around travel tips.

Wifey is turning 50 in May and as we’ve never been to a Pacific island before, we thought this would be the perfect time to go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would spend 3 days on 2 different islands. 
    We are looking at that too, but as an alternative, there are day cruises to some of the smaller islands.