Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Trevor Francis RIP

Just seen that Trevor Francis has passed away, what a player!! I remember him scoring a cracking goal against us for QPR.
RIP

Comments

• Options
    That makes me feel old.

RIP
  • Options
    Bloody hell that's a shock.  RIP
  • Options
    Bloody hell only 69! Had a heart attack at his home in Spain
    What a player he was!
    RIP Trevor, my thoughts and prayers to his family and friends xx
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    That's really sad, only 69 so wasn't old at all. RIP

I will always remember the testimonial match at The Valley, for Bob Bolder in the mid 90s. Trevor Francis was the manager of the opponents Sheffield Wednesday and basically retired as a player by then, but when he came on the pitch you could immediately see his class, and that his skills were way above everyone else on the pitch.
  • Options
    Was Francis the player that Cloughie paid £999,999 for because he “didn’t want the million pound price tag to go to his head”?

Great player. RIP
  • Options
    Britain's first £1m player - seems like only yesterday

RIP Trevor

• Options
    major shock though he is older than I thought .. the first £Million English footballer .. think I just saw him play the once at the Valley as a cocky teenager for Brum, full of confidence .. also saw him play at W H Lane for QPR, he scored twice but was upstaged by guess who ? .. another CL favourite Lineker G, who scored a hat trick
  • Options
    RIP, played in the 1st England game I ever went to in '84.

Remember him scoring 2 goals against us in a league cup game at Loftus Rd towards the end of his career. Was absolute class that night and one of his goals was a wordly.
  • Options
    Was Francis the player that Cloughie paid £999,999 for because he “didn’t want the million pound price tag to go to his head”?

Great player. RIP
    got a feeling that was either Greaves or Law from their Italian club
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP to a great footballer.
  • Options
    3 years older than me, I recall watching the BBC lunchtime show talking about a young up and coming footballer called Trevor Francis, I think for Birmingham.

Great player. RIP

no those transfers were way before the £1m player.  I think LR is right.  Cloughie also showed up Francis at the PoTY do for having his hands in his pocket. 
  • Options
    Shocking news.
    Marvellous player who I think had the style of play for any era.
    RIP.
  • Options
    Very sad news, RIP Trevor.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    3 years older than me, I recall watching the BBC lunchtime show talking about a young up and coming footballer called Trevor Francis, I think for Birmingham.

Great player. RIP

no those transfers were way before the £1m player.  I think LR is right.  Cloughie also showed up Francis at the PoTY do for having his hands in his pocket. 
    I seem to recall Cloughie putting Francis on the bench for his first game - telling him he had to earn his place in the starting eleven!

Shocking news, Trevor was some player.

RIP
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Kap10 said:

Great player. RIP

you're right, Greaves was the first £99,999 transfer to save the label of the first £100,000 player  .. long way from a million 
  • Options
    Sad news, no age.

RIP
  • Options
    That is shocking news.
    RIP Trevor
  • Options
    Proper legend of the game.  
  • Options
    Sad news, too young. RIP Trevor. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A Rolls Royce of a player! He had everything.
    Sad news, thanks for the memories Trev.
    RIP 
  • Options
    What a shame RIP Trevor.
  • Options
    Wow

That goal vs us at Loftus Road was indeed a worldie - I remember even I clapped that goal, even though it was against us - until he came on we were well on top in that game, after he came on it changed instantly 

Great player - RIP
  • Options

Great player. RIP
    Greaves was the 'first £100,000 player' at £99,999.
  • Options
    That's really sad, only 69 so wasn't old at all. RIP

I will always remember the testimonial match at The Valley, for Bob Bolder in the mid 90s. Trevor Francis was the manager of the opponents Sheffield Wednesday and basically retired as a player by then, but when he came on the pitch you could immediately see his class, and that his skills were way above everyone else on the pitch.
    That's the first thing I thought of when I heard the sad news.  No age at all really.

For those that can't remember, or weren't there, or even born, the highlights are on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/6-Rh-x1zGT0

He was different gravy.  I remember him giving us the round around for, I think, QPR at Selhurst as well.

RIP young man.
  • Options
    RIP Trevor, great footballer.
  • Options
    This has come as a shock.

He was a fine player as Cloughie knew.

RIP Trevor.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Rest Easy Trevor 
  • Options

Spoke to Trevor in a departure lounge on the way back from Spain about 12 years ago. He was commentating for Sky that weekend and was more than happy to chat football.

Lost a friend, same age, recently to a sudden heart attack. No age these days, RIP Trevor.