Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

National Anthems

2»

Comments

• Options
    It’s cool and edgy to say GSTK is the absolute worst, it’s terrible etc. But it’s probably in that middle category. 

Its potential often gets held back by the fact that it’s seemingly impossible for it to be sung in the right timing by a football crowd. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    It’s cool and edgy to say GSTK is the absolute worst, it’s terrible etc. But it’s probably in that middle category. 

Its potential often gets held back by the fact that it’s seemingly impossible for it to be sung in the right timing by a football crowd. 
    Agree it’s far from the worst but it’s uninspiring and dreary.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

But at least it's short.
    Some seem to go on forever. 
  • Options
    1. Italy
    2. France
    3. Wales.
    4. Jocks

Ours somewhere between middle and bottom with USA even further towards the bottom
  • Options
    I hate GSTK, an old fashioned dirge designed to prop up historical power structures. It really is time for a change. Unlike others though, I equally hate Jerusalem and find it bemusing and frustrating how many people suggest it as an alternative. Why can't we have an uplifting song about some of the splendours of our nation? It's sad that we fixate on the same few hackneyed old tunes. There's some great music about and we have some really clever poets any lyricists. Can't one of them create a proper, appropriate anthem for the modern age based on some of the rousing music that has been written on these shores? Perhaps something based on Holst's Jupiter, Purcell's Trumpet Voluntary or Coate's Dambusters March. Given that we are a sports obsessed nation and that the most frequent place these anthems are heard is at sporting occasions, I'd suggest that Hubert Bath's Out of the Blue would make a terrific anthem. Although as a nation we are good at both classical and military music, what we really excel in is rock and pop. I bet you could make great anthems out of Chelsea Dagger, Firestarter, Wonderwall, Parklife, Just Can't Get Enough and many many more.

Of the other nation's tunes, I think the French on is the best. The Brazilian one is also pretty good. Though if there's one that sums up the national stereotype better than the joyless, stoic threnody that represents the Russians, I've yet to hear it. I think the American's have got it badly wrong. They've got the whole catalogue of Sousa marches to choose from and they chose another dirge. My choice for them would be Stars and Stripes Forever - that's Here We Go for those living this side of the Atlantic. Can't comment on any other countries themes at the moment as I can't remember them, and the reason for that is that the majority are bland, formulaic noises that do little to grab the attention.

As for the Kiwi's doing the Haka, I'd be more impressed if they came out doing the Hucklebuck.
  • Options
    Old Spice tune by the Red Army Choir, would be my choice.
  • Options
    World in Motion should be the English football national anthem.
  • Options
    1. Italy
    2. France
    3. Wales.
    4. Jocks

Ours somewhere between middle and bottom with USA even further towards the bottom
    American one would be alright if the singer didn't try and make it their own each time. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

To you, maybe. Not for many millions. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    I hate GSTK, an old fashioned dirge designed to prop up historical power structures. It really is time for a change. Unlike others though, I equally hate Jerusalem and find it bemusing and frustrating how many people suggest it as an alternative. Why can't we have an uplifting song about some of the splendours of our nation? It's sad that we fixate on the same few hackneyed old tunes. There's some great music about and we have some really clever poets any lyricists. Can't one of them create a proper, appropriate anthem for the modern age based on some of the rousing music that has been written on these shores? Perhaps something based on Holst's Jupiter, Purcell's Trumpet Voluntary or Coate's Dambusters March. Given that we are a sports obsessed nation and that the most frequent place these anthems are heard is at sporting occasions, I'd suggest that Hubert Bath's Out of the Blue would make a terrific anthem. Although as a nation we are good at both classical and military music, what we really excel in is rock and pop. I bet you could make great anthems out of Chelsea Dagger, Firestarter, Wonderwall, Parklife, Just Can't Get Enough and many many more.

Of the other nation's tunes, I think the French on is the best. The Brazilian one is also pretty good. Though if there's one that sums up the national stereotype better than the joyless, stoic threnody that represents the Russians, I've yet to hear it. I think the American's have got it badly wrong. They've got the whole catalogue of Sousa marches to choose from and they chose another dirge. My choice for them would be Stars and Stripes Forever - that's Here We Go for those living this side of the Atlantic. Can't comment on any other countries themes at the moment as I can't remember them, and the reason for that is that the majority are bland, formulaic noises that do little to grab the attention.

As for the Kiwi's doing the Haka, I'd be more impressed if they came out doing the Hucklebuck.
    All I can say thank f*ck the status of our National Anthem isn't up for debate outside of irrelevant internet forums and that it will never be open to a public popularity contest. 

GSTK.
    Think it's about time it was, blind allegiance doesn't cut it I'm afraid, it's an absolute shower of dirge and as @stig said I'm sure others more talented could come up with something more rousing, rather than the funereal slit yer throat tripe that is GSTK. 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Welsh one in a full stadium is awesome. Just wish there was an "England" one that was actually good. Land of hope and glory is great, written by Elgar, made by Macho Man Randy Savage
    Land of Hope and Glory was tried for England, under Don Revie. It fell totally flat and was dropped after  a few games. It was totally rubbish. At cricket: home tests more people join in GSTK rather than Jerusalem whereas away The Barmy Army belt out Jeruasalem after the first ball. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Find the Haka really embarrassing to watch

1. GSTK of coarse
    Whooosh;)
  • Options
    Stig said:

All I can say thank f*ck the status of our National Anthem isn't up for debate outside of irrelevant internet forums and that it will never be open to a public popularity contest. 

GSTK.
    Think it's about time it was, blind allegiance doesn't cut it I'm afraid, it's an absolute shower of dirge and as @stig said I'm sure others more talented could come up with something more rousing, rather than the funereal slit yer throat tripe that is GSTK. 
    Just saying “it’s dirge” cuts it even less.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I’m not nationalistic in the slightest and I think it will be a good thing when national anthems and flags become meaningless which given enough time they will. While we do suffer them and everything they stand for I will say I really dislike our anthem and think our Union Flag is one of the worlds best, if not the best.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Stig said:

GSTK.
    dirge

noun
    1. a lament for the dead, especially one forming part of a funeral rite.
      Similar:
      elegy
      lament
      funeral song/chant
      burial hymn
      requiem
      dead march
      keen
      coronach
      threnody
      threnode
      monody
      • mournful song, piece of music, or sound.
        "singers chanted dirges"
      • INFORMAL
        a song or piece of music that is considered too slow, miserable, or boring.
        "after his ten-minute dirge, the audience booed"
    Cuts it for me very well because that's exactly what it is.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Stig said:

GSTK.
    dirge

noun
    1. a lament for the dead, especially one forming part of a funeral rite.
      Similar:
      elegy
      lament
      funeral song/chant
      burial hymn
      requiem
      dead march
      keen
      coronach
      threnody
      threnode
      monody
      • mournful song, piece of music, or sound.
        "singers chanted dirges"
      • INFORMAL
        a song or piece of music that is considered too slow, miserable, or boring.
        "after his ten-minute dirge, the audience booed"
    Cuts it for me very well because that's exactly what it is.
    The fact it has been around for a hundred plus years and millions of people identify with it cuts it a lot more than you or anyone else just not liking it. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    1. Italy
    2. France
    3. Wales.
    4. Jocks

American one would be alright if the singer didn't try and make it their own each time. 
    Yea fair point.
  • Options
    GSTK is

a) short (as we only sing one verse)
    b) easily remembered - everyone knows the words

So while it's not the great anthem in the world, it does its job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure how the haka gets mentioned on this thread.  “God defend New Zealand” doesn’t do much to stir the blood either.
  • Options
    Going to the match on Thursday so practicing the Moroccan one