Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oxford University college visit

I hope to get a ticket for Oxford Utd away and would like to stay overnight and visit one or more of the colleges the next day.
I shall be grateful if anyone can give any advice on which are the more interesting colleges to visit.
Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    My mate went to Keble which was very nice. I went with my school way back when and visited Magdalen & Queen's. Can recommend all 
  • Options
    - Worcester, for the ducks!
    - Magdalen cos it's Magdalen.
    - Balliol is pretty.
    - Keble is dinstictive as Pelling says
    - Christ Church again really pretty too
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Lovely city to amble around. Go to University Church (next to Radcliffe Camera). You can pay £5 to go up the steeple for lovely views of the city.  
  • Options
    oxford is a fantastic city for a couple of days me and the mrs done a sightseeing bus which was great then a boat trip past all the boat houses of the different colleges 
  • Options
    After visiting the historic centre, the bus trip out to the football ground highlights the "town and gown" divide  :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions 
  • Options
    If you go to the area of the Radcliffe Camera and walk around there, you’ll really get the idea. Merton is also a lovely spot
  • Options
    Shame their ground is now so badly positioned out of town 
  • Options
    If you like old stuff, The Ashmolean Museum is worth a visit.
  • Options
    I did b&b at Christ Church college a few years ago. Was amazing, especially having breakfast in the main hall where Charles 1 had his parliament during the English civil war. Worth checking out as the game is out of term time so may be available. Also lots of Harry potter stuff filmed there apparently.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Even if the ground might not reflect it, we actually have a number of really nice places in our division, when you think of Oxford, Cheltenham, Lincoln, Shrewsbury and Cambridge
  • Options
    Even if the ground might not reflect it, we actually have a number of really nice places in our division, when you think of Oxford, Cheltenham, Lincoln, Shrewsbury and Cambridge
    You forgot Barnsley.
  • Options
    Shame their ground is now so badly positioned out of town 
    they're planning to move to a site right by oxford parkway station which will make things so much easier. 
  • Options
    Thanks again for all your suggestions. 
    I did b&b in the old library at Christ Church College. The dining hall was amazing as we're the buildings.
    Then a tour around Magdalene College and grounds which was another spectacular location with bucket loads of history thrown in. It was probably the highlight of the trip.
    Finished off with a visit to New College which was a smaller site and for me the City Wall along one side of the garden was the most impressive part.
    By the time I got to the Bodleian Libraries and Radcliffe Camera mid afternoon the place was crawling with fellow tourists and it became less enjoyable. It stopped being quaint historical Oxford so I set off home.
    All in all I had a fabulous visit.
  • Options
    Where did that apostrophe in "we're" come from? I didn't put it there.