Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

DEAR ENGLAND- FOOTBALL PLAY CURRENTLY ON AT "NATIONAL THEATRE' SOUTHBANK

Went last night to this play which centres around Gareth Southgate's tenure as England manager to the end of Qatar World Cup, and the new approach he had to implement to change the mindset(s) of players, coaches, and in The FA . It tackles the impact of misogyny, racism in the game and fans, and how he set about to build a team that enjoyed playing for England. Amusing caricatures of Sam Allardyce, Sven, and FA officials, with humour throughout. Gareth Southgate is also very well acted, almost a kind of impression with all his mannerisms, but also showing the depth that he went to to try to analyse why we had failed for so many years. And most importantly how he used a Psychologist to change the approach and thinking about competition at the highest level.
The staging in the Olivier theatre with plenty of movement keeping the pace going. Good use of 3 concentric rotating stage floors.Yep the players did well enough to convince  the audience that they were good enough for an acting part as a footballer. Surprised at the number of females that were audience- I guess they outnumbered men.(shame my wife wouldn't miss Coronation St for this).
All rounded off with some rousing football songs inc Caroline  and the Women's European Cup.
Only and main critiscism I would have is the unfair portrayal of Harry Kane as simple and inarticulate, done for cheap laughs at his expense. The response of the audience was to laugh, either they have never paid attention to what he does say or were laughing at the stereotype which is no were near the truth.
The other players I can't really comment to much about as they don't have the same profile (with me).
Minor quibble- the politicians- Brexit stuff thrown in - I guess just for a few more laughs -not really relevant.

Highly recommend.

Anybody else been?

Comments

• Options
    Yes, saw it last week and really enjoyed it.

Really put into perspective quite how significant the last 5-6 years have been for the England team, and how much progress Southgate has helped them to make.
  • Options
    I thought the Kane ‘trap’ was very well done.
    It was a reminder that footballers can be good at football but not necessarily good at everything.
    I think a message there, was also that Kane would very probably find the attempt at playing football by any of us pretty amusing.
    Totally agree with the second paragraph above, and judging by what Dean Holden said about Marcus Rashford the media and the government, he would most likely agree too.

• Options
    Went last night to this play which centres around Gareth Southgate's tenure as England manager to the end of Qatar World Cup, and the new approach he had to implement to change the mindset(s) of players, coaches, and in The FA . It tackles the impact of misogyny, racism in the game and fans, and how he set about to build a team that enjoyed playing for England. Amusing caricatures of Sam Allardyce, Sven, and FA officials, with humour throughout. Gareth Southgate is also very well acted, almost a kind of impression with all his mannerisms, but also showing the depth that he went to to try to analyse why we had failed for so many years. And most importantly how he used a Psychologist to change the approach and thinking about competition at the highest level.
    The staging in the Olivier theatre with plenty of movement keeping the pace going. Good use of 3 concentric rotating stage floors.Yep the players did well enough to convince  the audience that they were good enough for an acting part as a footballer. Surprised at the number of females that were audience- I guess they outnumbered men.(shame my wife wouldn't miss Coronation St for this).
    All rounded off with some rousing football songs inc Caroline  and the Women's European Cup.
    Only and main critiscism I would have is the unfair portrayal of Harry Kane as simple and inarticulate, done for cheap laughs at his expense. The response of the audience was to laugh, either they have never paid attention to what he does say or were laughing at the stereotype which is no were near the truth.
    The other players I can't really comment to much about as they don't have the same profile (with me).
    Minor quibble- the politicians- Brexit stuff thrown in - I guess just for a few more laughs -not really relevant.

Highly recommend.

Anybody else been?
    Well, that was actually set up as an audience trap. Kane was absolutely portrayed as dense and inarticulate and the audience was encouraged to laugh at him for it. It got to the point in the performance I was at where people were laughing just whenever he spoke, not just when he said something funny. That all leads up to a bit part way through though where Kane says that he knows what he sounds like, he knows he isn't good with words and he knows that people laugh at him for it. He's the main adopter of Southgate's new mentality and he supports his teammates whenever they need it even though he's a regular victim of abuse in a way that's less publicly acknowledged. It's a clever trick, takes an audience who are nodding along with everything that's being said about the psychology of supportiveness and openness and reminds them that they likely contribute just as much to the poor treatment of others based on things out of their control as the people the play is critcising. It's not a new trick but it's always an effective one.
    Also I'd say the Brexit and politicians stuff is extremely relevant; three different prime ministers came and went during Southgate's reign and each of them created situations - the school meals debacle, the conditions for racism to thrive, exclusion of minority groups - that a government should be resolving, but instead it was the football team that tried to support the population while the prime ministers just jumped on the football bandwagon whenever a tournament came round. Southgate's transforming of the football team from uninterested prima donnas to socially aware and inclusive agents for positive change is contrasted against the government increasingly using the politics of division to try and stir up their supporter base.
    Thanks I missed the point about Harry Kane, I think I did hear the comment about "not being good with words" but it didn't land with me with any impact. Glad you have explained it.
    The Rashford campaign is highly relevant and showed the politicians   lack empathy for the real lives of others (eg my local MP). And the racism concerns expressed by Sara/Sterling - yep -points out how fans can turn on them in flash.

The most powerful part for me was when GS says words to the effect after the Kane penalty miss " I thought my purpose (/destiny) was to lift the World Cup-but it isn't its to do this" and gives Kane a hug.

Thanks for your explanations

• Options

Highly recommend.

Anybody else been?
    Well, that was actually set up as an audience trap. Kane was absolutely portrayed as dense and inarticulate and the audience was encouraged to laugh at him for it. It got to the point in the performance I was at where people were laughing just whenever he spoke, not just when he said something funny. That all leads up to a bit part way through though where Kane says that he knows what he sounds like, he knows he isn't good with words and he knows that people laugh at him for it. He's the main adopter of Southgate's new mentality and he supports his teammates whenever they need it even though he's a regular victim of abuse in a way that's less publicly acknowledged. It's a clever trick, takes an audience who are nodding along with everything that's being said about the psychology of supportiveness and openness and reminds them that they likely contribute just as much to the poor treatment of others based on things out of their control as the people the play is critcising. It's not a new trick but it's always an effective one.
    Also I'd say the Brexit and politicians stuff is extremely relevant; three different prime ministers came and went during Southgate's reign and each of them created situations - the school meals debacle, the conditions for racism to thrive, exclusion of minority groups - that a government should be resolving, but instead it was the football team that tried to support the population while the prime ministers just jumped on the football bandwagon whenever a tournament came round. Southgate's transforming of the football team from uninterested prima donnas to socially aware and inclusive agents for positive change is contrasted against the government increasingly using the politics of division to try and stir up their supporter base.
    Thanks I missed the point about Harry Kane, I think I did hear the comment about "not being good with words" but it didn't land with me with any impact. Glad you have explained it.
    The Rashford campaign is highly relevant and showed the politicians   lack empathy for the real lives of others (eg my local MP). And the racism concerns expressed by Sara/Sterling - yep -points out how fans can turn on them in flash.

The most powerful part for me was when GS says words to the effect after the Kane penalty miss " I thought my purpose (/destiny) was to lift the World Cup-but it isn't its to do this" and gives Kane a hug.

Thanks for your explanations

I agree completely with you about that part at the end, I thought that was a really great conclusion for the play for come to. I found it really touching and it's stayed with me since as a brilliant moment
  • Options
    Biggest laugh of the night for me was the cameo from Gianni Infantino
  • Options
    On the excellent observation above by @KingKinsella about the number of females in the audience it was a great moment when the England women’s team was referenced. There was a huge cheer from everybody, very sustained applause and the women sitting either side of me leapt up and yelled and clapped.
    On reflection I think this play will sit much longer in my memory that the shallow super hit that was One Man Two Guvnors.
  • Options
    It's moving to the West End (Prince Edward Theatre) later this year. Tickets go on sale from Friday. Prices far more reasonable than the NT.
  • Options
    It's moving to the West End (Prince Edward Theatre) later this year. Tickets go on sale from Friday. Prices far more reasonable than the NT.
    Really ?
    The Prince Edward Theatre website says "prices from £20". I paid £20 for my ticket at the NT.  
  • Options
    Pico said:
    Really ?
    The Prince Edward Theatre website says "prices from £20". I paid £20 for my ticket at the NT.  

The cheaper tickets were in very short supply as far as I could tell. Was checking over the last month and there was rarely anything under £60

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pico said:
    Really ?

The cheaper tickets were in very short supply as far as I could tell. Was checking over the last month and there was rarely anything under £60

I think the NT did a cheap ticket offer at Friday lunchtime every week, that was a while ago
  • Options
    I’ve just managed to grab tickets for tomorrow’s matinee. The rest of this week is sold out.
  • Options
    Is it better than An Evening with Gary Lineker ….
  • Options
    I saw ‘Dear England’ this afternoon and thought it was excellent. Highly impressive staging design and very humorous throughout. It leaves the National this Friday but, as Clem Snide has said, it's transferring to the Prince Edward Theatre for a limited season from October 9, with Joseph Fiennes reprising his role as Gareth Southgate and all other casting to be confirmed. Tickets on sale from Friday morning at 10am.

A very entertaining and uplifting couple of hours. It was the first time I have ever seen an Olivier Theatre audience up on its feet singing Sweet Caroline - I felt quite moved by that, albeit principally because it reminded me of our Wembley Play-Off Final triumph in 2019.
  • Options
    Going to be transmitted to cinemas up and down the country soon