Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sixto Diaz Rodriguez (Sugarman). RIP

Did anyone see the movie “Searching for Sugarman”?

Sugarman, named after one one of his songs, was the subject of an Oscar winning documentary movie in 2013.  He was described by Associated Press as “the greatest protest singer/songwriter that most people never heard of”.

He made a couple of albums in the US in the 1970s which flopped and he went back to his work in Detroit on building sites.  But tours of Australia were arranged for him in 1979 and 1981.  His songs resonated in South Africa - protesting the Vietnam War, racial equality, abuse of women and arpetheid.

Two journalists from South Africa set out to find the mysterious Sugarman and discovered him on a Detroit building site.  The subsequent movie propelled Sugarman to stardom and a world tour which included NZ.

RIP Sugarman

Comments

• Options
    Brilliant songwriter and musician, very humble and never seeked the fame he deserved.Write some great songs was a shame he was not recognized in the US until later in life.RIP Sixto
  • Options

Sugarman, named after one one of his songs, was the subject of an Oscar winning documentary movie in 2013.  He was described by Associated Press as “the greatest protest singer/songwriter that most people never heard of”.

He made a couple of albums in the US in the 1970s which flopped and he went back to his work in Detroit on building sites.  But tours of Australia were arranged for him in 1979 and 1981.  His songs resonated in South Africa - protesting the Vietnam War, racial equality, abuse of women and arpetheid.

Two journalists from South Africa set out to find the mysterious Sugarman and discovered him on a Detroit building site.  The subsequent movie propelled Sugarman to stardom and a world tour which included NZ.

RIP Sugarman
    That summary doesn't quite do justice to how remarkable it was for him to be "in obscurity" for so long and then discover that his music had been popular elsewhere in the world for years while he'd been trying to accept "failure".

Highly recommend watching 

RIP
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    That film was an amazing watch, I did not know the story  until I saw it. At first I thought it was a spoof!  Lovely story. Got both his original CDs after that film and love them. RIP Sugarman.

• Options
    I watched the documentary when it came out and a few times since. I had never heard of him before and it was my son who got me on to it. Everyone I have convinced to watch it loved it and many like me will have his music on their spotify play lists. Like everything you see made into entertainment you don't always get the whole story, timeline or facts that are twisted to suit, this may be an exception. If you haven't seen it you must. A real stand out moment, he starts "I Wonder" at a concert in South Africa, he just plays the opening bars over and over and over. Rodriguez comes across as a very humble man with an extraordinary voice. A different place and a different time things would have been very different for this man, such a shame the world never really got to see him in his prime. He did tour again and I add him  to list of artists I could have seen and passed on the moment, Albert Hall 4 or 5 years ago.  He didn't write enough but what he did was absolutely beautiful.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB1009GB1009&q=sugarman&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj0pMjIw9GAAxWVM8AKHcHhDZEQ0pQJegQICRAB&cshid=1691651400081264&biw=1899&bih=1063&dpr=1#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:102e99f7,vid:QL5TffdOQ7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1ifisA0_ss
  • Options
    Siv_in_Norfolk said:Thoroughly agree Siv.  The word “resonated” is not the right word.  Sugarman’s songs became anthems in South Africa for the anti-apartheid movement.  Which led to the journalists setting out to find him.

RIP Sugarman
    That summary doesn't quite do justice to how remarkable it was for him to be "in obscurity" for so long and then discover that his music had been popular elsewhere in the world for years while he'd been trying to accept "failure".

Highly recommend watching 

RIP

• Options
    R I P

Thought the 🎥 about him was very good.
  • Options
    Loved the film. RIP Sugarman. 
  • Options
    Only just heard about his death...
    Was lucky enough to see him a few years ago at Kings Park Perth.
    What a wonderful man, what a piercing voice...
    Rip Sixto

https://youtu.be/Oy4iX1R30rY?si=BKmQogrEJ3jb5RvZ