Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POLL: The Great London Cheesecake

Is the London Cheesecake the greatest sweet pastry of them all? 

POLL: The Great London Cheesecake 102 votes

Hell Yeah - A double puff pastry jam, almond and desiccated coconut delight
26% 27 votes
Hell No - But I’ll tell you what is in the comments
32% 33 votes
WTF - We need a striker! Who is responsible for these stupid polls?
41% 42 votes

Comments

• Options
    Almond croissant would have been my runner up 
  • Options
    Chelsea Bun all day long
  • Options
    They are my favourite but have fallen foul of ridiculous reductions in size. My local bakers is really taking the piss with meagre size offerings on their cheesecakes these days.
  • Options
    Thought this was going to be a pie chart showing football clubs with the most influence in London...with our slice barely visible!
  • Options
    They are my favourite but have fallen foul of ridiculous reductions in size. My local bakers is really taking the piss with meagre size offerings on their cheesecakes these days.
    You could always eat two. 

The London cheesecake locally was always known as a hairy Mary, can’t think why?
  • Options
    No - just no. They are good but not the best.

Chelsea Bun, Cinnamon Swirl, Almond Croissant - all better.  
  • Options
    These are great, but easy to mess up.
    Bakers have to go for delicacy over stodge.
    Can be consumed bottom half first, then top half if correctly split up.
    As I said, if it is too 'heavy', discard the lower bottom half and eat the rest.
    Thank goodness it's this 'cheesecake' because all other named 'cheesecake' is rank. 

• Options

Waitrose do a lovely almond and cherry Lattice 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where does cheese come into it?
  • Options

So, no promote?

I posted a picture of the London Cheesecake on the, Things that Annoy you thread. I came across one a few weeks ago having not seen one in years. I rushed to buy, big disappointment, it had jam inside! I'm pretty sure the originals didn't?

It can't be a coincidence, I'm just on the phone to my lawyer and am considering my position (sitting down at the mo)
  • Options
    Not even a proper cheesecake, give me a Kosher Cheesecake from Rinkoff in Stepney 
  • Options

So, no promote?

I posted a picture of the London Cheesecake on the, Things that Annoy you thread. I came across one a few weeks ago having not seen one in years. I rushed to buy, big disappointment, it had jam inside! I'm pretty sure the originals didn't?

It can't be a coincidence, I'm just on the phone to my lawyer and am considering my position (sitting down at the mo)
    The Evidence

Anyone remember these, the London Cheese Cake? I used to love these as a kid and I don't remember there being any filling inside, in fact I'm 100% sure there wasn't.

When I saw one in a bakers the other day, I bought one and couldn't wait to get home and rekindle childhood memories.

I took a large bite and my pleasure turned to horror as bloody jam oozed out, FFS!

Why the f*ck do wankers have to ruin everything by sticking jam inside, do you think jam is perfect, in f ing everything, well it ain't and don't bloody do it.

• Options
    Cinnamon roll or Pain Au Chocolat for me. 
  • Options
    Used to get them whenever I was near a plaxtol bakers. They never had jam in it unlike other bakers. 
  • Options
    Almond Croissant, Pain Au Chocolat no wonder this country has gone to the dogs.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Almond Croissant, Pain Au Chocolat no wonder this country has gone to the dogs.
    Bread and dripping - that's what we need - good honest food, none of this foreign muck :)

Catherine Tate Show - Disgusted Couple Tempura  tempura The Catherine  Tate Show  Janice and Ray are shocked and unimpressed with Tempura  By  Catherine Tate Fans  Facebook
  • Options
    Decent but nothing beats a Mille-feuille
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So, no promote?

The Evidence

Anyone remember these, the London Cheese Cake? I used to love these as a kid and I don't remember there being any filling inside, in fact I'm 100% sure there wasn't.

When I saw one in a bakers the other day, I bought one and couldn't wait to get home and rekindle childhood memories.

I took a large bite and my pleasure turned to horror as bloody jam oozed out, FFS!

Why the f*ck do wankers have to ruin everything by sticking jam inside, do you think jam is perfect, in f ing everything, well it ain't and don't bloody do it.

Jam w*nkers
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Fuck off is that what i consider a  cheesecake 

we have a big thing with cheesecakes in our wider family 
    always looking for the perfect one 
    A good thick biscuit base so important 
    Always encourage a blind cheesecake off
    I don’t want any strawberry jiz on it keep it plain and simple .

• Options
    Jesus that looks rank. 

Pastel de Nata for me, but would also take a pain au chocolate, cinnamon bun or pretty much any cake, eclair or doughnut over that monstrosity
  • Options
    Fuck off is that what i consider a  cheesecake 

we have a big thing with cheesecakes in our wider family 
    always looking for the perfect one 
    A good thick biscuit base so important 
    Always encourage a blind cheesecake off
    I don’t want any strawberry jiz on it keep it plain and simple .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cg4yoqhPS8
  • Options
    London cheesecakes are fantastic. As a kid I'd eat by coconut strand and then by layer. The name making no sense is another plus.
    Best dessert of all time is gypsy tart though.
  • Options
    It’s great but pecan pie for me 
  • Options
    OMG I haven't had one of them London Cheesecakes in about 40 years.  My old man used to bring some in from the bakers when he was on a half-day shift!
  • Options
    I absolutely love London Cheesecakes.

Greggs produce a reasonable version,  but the best ones in this part of the world are made by the independent bakers.
  • Options
    Love them, although they are impossible to eat in a ladylike manner, and I always end up covered in crumbs. Used to get them from the bakery opposite the approach to Ladywell station when I was a kid. Hadn't had them for years until covid hit, and found them on just eat via the Wenzel's bakery chain, but they've been unavailable for weeks. I am bereft.