Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sir Michael Parkinson RIP

Broadcaster Sir Michael Parkinson has died at the age of 88, his family has confirmed.

His TV career spanned seven decades, and he interviewed the world's biggest stars on his long-running chat show.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66411604

Comments

• Options
    RIP Parky
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Absolute legend. RIP

https://youtu.be/vIo0yxnca_c
  • Options
    RIP.  
  • Options
    Sad news. I've been watching his "specials" on BBC4 recently. The Kenneth Williams & Peter Sellers ones were very good. The man knew to ask a question and to then shut up & let the guest just talk. 

RIP.
  • Options
    A national treasure.
    RIP.
    Michael Parkinson was a person who became a touchstone for a generation, and in the context of the time a great broadcaster and interviewer.
    In some ways created the template for non political interviews.
    Sad news.
  • Options
    Was already an institution at the start of my life. 36 years later, an even greater one. RIP
  • Options
    RIP 
  • Options
    Ah that's sad, great interviewer and always came across as a very down to earth bloke.

RIP.
  • Options
    RIP Parky.
  • Options
    RIP Michael 🙏
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP

Such a huge part of my televisual life and some cracking interviews. Mohammed Ali, Billy Connolly and Dame Edna immediately spring to mind.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    It’s a shame they don’t make talk shows like they used to. Now it feels like the main draw has to be the ego of the presenter as much as it is the guest. Parky was unquestionably the B side in his interviews which is why we remember so many of them so vividly. 

The quest for higher TV ratings has clouded TV exec’s minds and now we have forgettable interviews by Jonathan Ross, Piers and Corden where we’re meant to buy into the idea that everything, including in-jokes are all meant to revolve around the presenter who becomes the true star of the show. It dumbs everything down. Parky may have been the last proper celeb interviewer and we’re all poorer for it. Hard to conceive of a modest, affable Yorkshireman getting the gig nowadays…he’d be considered too vanilla. 
    It's why I think Graham Norton's show I'd the best interview show out there - good researchers etc too but he gives the guests the basis and the time to tell funny stories and anecdotes, and you're right, Michael Parkinson did the same.
  • Options
    RIP. A great interviewer and a great period of celebrity interviews where the guests were genuine stars, and we didn't know everything about them already.
  • Options
    Legend, RIP.
  • Options
    Never mind.  We'll get over it.

I know it's considered distasteful to say nasty things about the dead but I never forgave him for being the reassuring, ever-present on those Sun Life over 50 insurance scheme adverts. I can't begin to imagine how many poor suckers he duped into buying a needless toxic product that was a complete waste of money.  Anyway, I'm sure he's got his funeral costs covered.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Remember seeing him live  as part of my  Induction training at the bbc, he  asked to retake 1 shot, as he thought the guest looked 'uncomfortable decending the stairs!.... Incredibly well respected, professional as anybody that has been on the tv, in my opinion The guests got a  bit of a formula, but always worth a second or even third viewing,  Kenneth Williams, Billy Connolly, Morecambe and Wise,David Niven, the list goes on , wonderful interviews, mainly because he let them talk, and he listened. 
  • Options
    RIP Parky... Gets to Interview the big cheese now!!
  • Options
    RIP. I echo the comments above. Parky hosted a proper chat show that allowed guests to talk and they were on there to be interviewed not to promote their latest venture. He wasn't interested in being the focus of attention either.
    There some stellar guests too including those mentioned above. I was recently watching a compilation of the Peter Ustinov ones.
    Wonderful tv.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Phil said:
    RIP. I echo the comments above. Parky hosted a proper chat show that allowed guests to talk and they were on there to be interviewed not to promote their latest venture. He wasn't interested in being the focus of attention either.
    There some stellar guests too including those mentioned above. I was recently watching a compilation of the Peter Ustinov ones.
    Wonderful tv.
    I’ll second the Ustinov interviews - brilliantly funny. I’ll add Robert Morley to that list and Lord Boothby!

And of course the Muhammad Ali interviews.
  • Options
    Dame Edna's was a goodun. 

RIP
  • Options
    Rest Easy 
  • Options
    He was in a way a template of a great presenter - you could show would-be chat show hosts some of his shows and say 'that's how it's done perfectly'.

RIP Parky and thanks for so many memorable interviews.
  • Options
    RIP.
  • Options
    always a surprise when a 'staple' of my younger days passes on, even at a ripe old age .. a very famous man in his prime, a proud Yorkshireman .. R I P Sir Michael
  • Options
    So enjoyed his interviews, also his autobiography “Parky” in which he writes about his father’s passion for cricket.  Parky was born in Yorkshire to enable him to qualify and play for the county when old enough.  In fact he loved  cricket and actually played in charity matches with the likes of Richie Benaud.

RIP
  • Options
    By far the best chat show host of my lifetime, combining an easy charm with sharp journalistic instincts. He owned a restaurant not too far from where I live (which was run by his son) and had the pleasure of seeing him there a couple of times. RIP Sir Michael Parkinson.
  • Options
    His interview with Meg Ryan was a challenge for him!

Kenneth Williams was always good - 'My Crepe Suzette' 

• Options
    Rip.

Barnsley supporter I understand.