Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old Woolwich and Deptford - watch this!

I know bits of the film "The Silent Playground" have been shown before, but this mini clip film comparing then and now is worth a look if, like me, you were a Woolwich child. Lived in Samuel Street and the clips of it here here are fantastic.

https://youtu.be/4zshRl2lr14

Comments

• Options
    I worked at Convoys Wharf, they use to deliver newspaper reels to the Sun. Used to frequent the Dog and Bell Pub just opposite the entrance. 
    Long time ago!!!
  • Options
    Fascinating stuff. My nan and grandad lived in Prospect Vale, their house was compulsory purchased and they were moved into the flats in Frances Street. Theirs was the last to go up, the one at the bottom of the road at around 1967/8. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Fascinating stuff. My nan and grandad lived in Prospect Vale, their house was compulsory purchased and they were moved into the flats in Frances Street. Theirs was the last to go up, the one at the bottom of the road at around 1967/8. 
    I lived in Samuel Street and remember my older Sister seeing a builder dangling his legs over the top of the roof (14 floors up) whilst eating his lunch in those very flats. She ended up going on a date with him lol. Circa 1967. 
  • Options
    I know bits of the film "The Silent Playground" have been shown before, but this mini clip film comparing then and now is worth a look if, like me, you were a Woolwich child. Lived in Samuel Street and the clips of it here here are fantastic.

https://youtu.be/4zshRl2lr14
    At first glance, I thought that was a picture of Duchatelet in a weird pyramid shaped cage. I like this film already, I thought. 
  • Options
    We lived in Frances St in one of the blocks of flats, but I don't know which one and have no one to ask. 

we then moved to the Cardwell. Great piece. Loved the old fashioned playground equipment