Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Frasier reboot

Dave aka Rodney Charlton Trotter is back!

Comments

• Options
    Wow, I used to love Frasier, do you know when it will be released / what channel?
  • Options
    Paramount+ October 👍🏼
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Kelsey does bare a striking resemblance to David Jason in this or is it just me?

"Oh for GODS sake Rodney" 
  • Options
    I’d love a Fraser reboot - one that was the cross of Andy Reid and Claus Jensen that some see him as 
  • Options

Kelsey does bare a striking resemblance to David Jason in this or is it just me?

"Oh for GODS sake Rodney" 
    I do see it.
    But Rodney now looks older 😳😳🫣🫣
  • Options
    I’d love it if his character was Dave 😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I loved Frasier as a show. It was actually funny while being far cleverer than your average US sitcom (I particularly enjoyed the episodes that were pure french farce).
    But the worst parts of the show were the depictions of brits (Daphne aside). The brits in the “british” pub were bad enough, but Daphne’s family were painfully bad, all of them some dreadful stereotype of Englishness. Brian Cox (as her dad) did his best but Millicent Martin as her mum was cringeworthy. Worst of the lot was her brother - our first sight of him was him staggering around in a Man U shirt being loutish while being played by an American doing a (terrible) cockney accent, despite Daphne’s family being from Manchester.
    I expect they’ll continue this trend with English characters being a bit obvious, so judging from the costume - the tweed jacket, reading glasses hanging down, a mug of, presumably, real ale - Lyndhurst’s character will be an English academic, I would take a guess at an esteemed professor who studied with Frasier at Oxford. If they did give him the name Rodney or Dave though, that would be outstanding. 

I hope it’s good. I’ll definitely watch it, but I’m nervous they won’t be able to recreate the chemistry that John Mahoney brought.
    it was the 90's to be fair - the US weren't remembered fondly by me for their portrayals of British people in sit coms - Friends was another that was bad for that in those days. 

I think things have moved on since though.

Say what you like about people like Ricky Gervais, Gordon Ramsey even Russell Brand etc they did poke some holes in those stereotypes a bit
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I loved Frasier as a show. It was actually funny while being far cleverer than your average US sitcom (I particularly enjoyed the episodes that were pure french farce).
    But the worst parts of the show were the depictions of brits (Daphne aside). The brits in the “british” pub were bad enough, but Daphne’s family were painfully bad, all of them some dreadful stereotype of Englishness. Brian Cox (as her dad) did his best but Millicent Martin as her mum was cringeworthy. Worst of the lot was her brother - our first sight of him was him staggering around in a Man U shirt being loutish while being played by an American doing a (terrible) cockney accent, despite Daphne’s family being from Manchester.
    I expect they’ll continue this trend with English characters being a bit obvious, so judging from the costume - the tweed jacket, reading glasses hanging down, a mug of, presumably, real ale - Lyndhurst’s character will be an English academic, I would take a guess at an esteemed professor who studied with Frasier at Oxford. If they did give him the name Rodney or Dave though, that would be outstanding. 

I hope it’s good. I’ll definitely watch it, but I’m nervous they won’t be able to recreate the chemistry that John Mahoney brought.
    There were hardly any British actors on US television shows in those day. Bloody hundreds now!

Edit - although giving Daphne’s brother an Emmy was a bit much!

LaPaglia won a Primetime Emmy Award for his role as Simon Moon in the television sitcom Frasier (2000–2004)”
  • Options

it was the 90's to be fair - the US weren't remembered fondly by me for their portrayals of British people in sit coms - Friends was another that was bad for that in those days. 

I think things have moved on since though 
    Yeah, I hope so. Like I say, I’ll definitely give it a go. I hope they’ve done a good job with it. Frasier and Niles are such good characters.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really looking forward to this. Frasier is one of my favourite shows so hope this is good and at least one cameo from the previous series (like they did with Lilith, Sam, Diane, Woody and the rest of the main Cheers cast barring Rebecca) 
  • Options

From the article:
    Lyndhurst, who played Rodney Trotter in the sitcom Only Fools and Horses, will play Frasier’s old college friend turned university professor, Alan Cornwall, as he joins the 10-episode season.  In the new series Frasier returns to Boston, where the character had originally appeared on the US sitcom Cheers, with “new challenges to face, new relationships to forge and an old dream or two to finally fulfil”.

Often mentioned in the original series, Frasier’s son Freddy has been recast in the Paramount+ show with the British actor Jack Cutmore-Scott, who was in Deception, joining the show.  A new character, Olivia (Toks Olagundoye), Alan’s colleague and head of the university’s psychology department, has also been added. In new images, Olagundoye’s character is seen having a drink with Frasier and Alan, and in another picture the psychologist turned radio host sits on a couch with his son.  Also joining the show is The Expanse star Jess Salgueiro as Freddy’s roommate, Eve, and Anders Keith as Frasier’s nephew David.

• Options
    Could do with a Scott Fraser reboot
  • Options
    Niles was the funniest thing about Frasier.

"Frasier : Honestly, Niles, by calling her so many times you've given her all the power. You're much better off coming from a position of strength.
    Niles : Don't pour that sherry on your shirt - it will stain.
    Frasier : What?
    Niles : Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was the portion of the afternoon where we gave each other patently obvious advice."
  • Options
    Still my favourite line since Morecambe and Wise 
    https://youtu.be/HJnrzc_yR-w?si=NbJqRrmivoxnqbip