Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton captain is Pards right

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
Pards has been quoted as saying we have 2 great leaders in Powell and Holland but says it's not important who has the armband on the saturday.

Me personally think it's wrong he should decide on a captain and a vice and go with them for the season. Look when we had Kinsella how influential he was. Ok we don't have a Kinsella on the books at the moment but IMO we must have a permanent captain.

Views

Comments

• Options
    with one of them injured for 6 weeks and another only likley to play max 15 games it should be neither of them in my opinion!

Dunno who though
  • Options
    The problem we have is that we don't have any stand out candidates to be captain. We don't have a Kinsella or a Rufus any more so from that point, I think that Pards is right, who has the armband is pretty much illrelevant.
  • Options
    its not that clear cut though due to the fact that there is no certainty Powell and Holland will play everyweek. Ideally you want your captain to be one of the first names on the team sheet.

They will both certainly be carrying the Club Captain role, and will do it well. But i see no outright captain going into the season. If Holland performs well and plays each game, it should be him. The only one i can see being a rival to that if he performs is MacCarthy.
  • Options
    Whoever is captain should be a leader on the pitch and someone capable of playing in most of the games and will be a first choice selection for the position he plays in. Powell was signed as cover for Thatcher, not to replace him, so that counts him out. Will Holland be a regular starter? If so he can have the job. Otherwise it'll be a defender, most likely Paddy.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    From what Ive heard Paddys man management skills need a little polishing so would be surprised / concerned if it were him.

Mooooooootakill has Captained the French U21's, although the language barrier might be seen as a problem.
  • Options
    I reckon It'll probably be Paddy.

But perhaps Pards wants to see if he's good enough to be an automatic choice before making him skipper?
  • Options
    It just says to me that we are still desperately short of a leader at centre half or centre mid who will play most games. Of course it matters - it's been one of the things we've been lacking the past few seasons. Sort it out, Mr Pardew.
  • Options
    Get the feeling it'll be Andy Reid for a while
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Get the feeling it'll be Andy Reid for a while

think you may be right mate. For the first couple of games at least.
  • Options
    I wouldn't argue with that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Weaver?
  • Options
    Hope not. I don't like Keeper skippers.

Leave them to concentrate on organising their box and communicate just with the back four.
  • Options
    Thatcher with his experience ought to be the obvious candidate.

Unfortunately the unstable, erratic side of his nature rules him out.

As things stand I'd go with Reid, providing that he stays fit, although I have a sneaky feeling that Ambrose will come on this season and could then become a candidate.
  • Options
    Feckin Hell, Len! Ambrose as skipper? Christ, that would be like having Elton John leading the infantry over the top in WWII!!!

No mate, can't see Ambrose as skipper material in a million years. I think you're closer to it with Reidy.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Feckin Hell, Len! Ambrose as skipper? Christ, that would be like having Elton John leading the infantry over the top in WWII!!!

No mate, can't see Ambrose as skipper material in a million years. I think you're closer to it with Reidy.

I'm not saying Ambrose is ready for it yet but why shouldn't he be a future captain?

He immediately committed himself to the cause this season, appears to be a good professional in the Matty Holland mode and really just needs to earn respect by performing consistently well rather than one game in five or six. I think he could do that season at a slightly lower level.

We talk about Lloyd Sam being a promising youngster yet he is only six months or so younger than Ambrose who gets judged very differently. I've done it myself!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Feckin Hell, Len! Ambrose as skipper? Christ, that would be like having Elton John leading the infantry over the top in WWII!!!

We talk about Lloyd Sam being a promising youngster yet he is only six months or so younger than Ambrose

blimey, never realised that. Lloyd really needs to kick start his career if he is going to have one.
  • Options
    for me the skipper has to be the person most capable of communicating instructions from the bench to individual or groups of players, i think that will be a trust thing from pards but don't know who.
    every player needs to be 100% committed, and the more natural leaders the better. just because you don't have the armband shouldn't make you any less a leader.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]for me the skipper has to be the person most capable of communicating instructions from the bench to individual or groups of players

That's not what i see a captain as being. I like a captain who may not be the most talented player in the side, but one the other ten people can turn around and see is giving their all every minute of the game, particularly when the chips are down, and who has decent motivational skills both on the pitch and at the training ground, who is keen to gee others up, tell them when they are doing well and get their heads up when something is not going for them in a game.

Lot of ego's in football, so its important the captain is respected.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]for me the skipper has to be the person most capable of communicating instructions from the bench to individual or groups of players

That's not what i see a captain as being. I like a captain who may not be the most talented player in the side, but one the other ten people can turn around and see is giving their all every minute of the game, particularly when the chips are down, and who has decent motivational skills both on the pitch and at the training ground, who is keen to gee others up, tell them when they are doing well and get their heads up when something is not going for them in a game.

Lot of ego's in football, so its important the captain is respected.

get kish back then ;-)
  • Options
    Has to be one of your best 3 or 4 players though..... :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Has to be one of your best 3 or 4 players though..... :-)

cue kish lover - can't remember if it was Len or Leroy
  • Options
    Sad to lose Kish ......but we've already got the new Kish:

Dean Sinclair. ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Sad to lose Kish ......but we've already got the new Kish:

Dean Sinclair. ;-)

I think Deano is more of a Matty Holland than a Kish.

Kish used to tackle......
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It did occur to me on Saturday how Sinclair's performance was very Matt Holland like, lots of running about but with very little purpose.
  • Options
    But is he as nice a bloke and as media friendly as our Matty?
  • Options
    Does Deano have clean shorts?