Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Louie Watson signs on loan from Luton

Comments

• Options
    So what did people make of his performance yesterday?
    I thought he improved the team but is weak defensively. Very good first half but faded second. Overall a decent first game back after not starting for a couple of months. Playing in the 10 position probably suits him best, he won't score many but does create with some nice through passes. Though whether we see him again remains to be seen. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    So what did people make of his performance yesterday?
    I thought he improved the team but is weak defensively. Very good first half but faded second. Overall a decent first game back after not starting for a couple of months. Playing in the 10 position probably suits him best, he won't score many but does create with some nice through passes. Though whether we see him again remains to be seen. 
    I’d agree with that. Specifically he created the assist for the first goal.- with a headed flick on.   I agree  he certainly tired towards the end. Terry mentioned it and expected him to be subbed because we needed to shore things up. But the only option for that was Fraser. And Appleton didnt want to do that. Maybe a penny had finally dropped. But if so it has taken far too long. I’m not in favour of dumping managers after just a few months, it is obviously stupid, but the whole way Watson has been managed leaves a big negative against  MA in my mind and he has work to do to persuade me he can get us out of this division even with the squad he can argue that he deserves. 
  • Options
    he's not perfect but second only to dobbo in our midfield options 
  • Options
    Really odd that he returned to the team yesterday and stayed on for the entire match.
    Someone mentioned last week that Appleton and Scott had a big argument post Oxford.
    Perhaps that argument was over the issue of Watson's exclusion from the team!
  • Options
    edited January 7
    With Chem injured Louis almost got in the team by default. There was no one else available bar Fraser who is well out of form.

Appleton is famous (at all clubs he has been at) for dropping players after poor performances & now it’s Fraser turn.

- Watson was dropped after playing crap at Gillingham.
    - Fraser was dropped for playing crap when he came on as a sub against Oxford.

Atleast MA is consistent & players know they can’t come in & play as shite as Fraser did against Oxford & expect to start the next game.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Agree with this and I think that they complement each other.
    Unfortunately, Karoy Anderson didn't help matters yesterday and I would rather have seen Fraser as the third midfield player, allowing Dobbo to be the anchor of the three.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Unfortunately, Karoy Anderson didn't help matters yesterday and I would rather have seen Fraser as the third midfield player, allowing Dobbo to be the anchor of the three.
    I seem to be in the minority but I thought Anderson had his best game for us so far. Thats not the same as saying he is ready for a first team place, but I think he definitely has the skill-set to do well. I hope they will now find him a loan at a decent L2 outfit.
    There's no lack of effort from Anderson but there ia a lack of finesse and awareness. A L2 loan spell would do him the world of good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would absolutely be getting Anderson a League 2 loan just for him to learn the game and more regular game time. There's the effort and talent there with Anderson but he's got a lot to learn. If we are going to add another CM on top of Bakinson and Fiorini+ the 3 to return , he's going to struggle for games for the rest of the season so it's best he's out on loan. 
  • Options
    With Chem injured Louis almost got in the team by default. There was no one else available bar Fraser who is well out of form.

Appleton is famous (at all clubs he has been at) for dropping players after poor performances & now it’s Fraser turn.

- Watson was dropped after playing crap at Gillingham.
    - Fraser was dropped for playing crap when he came on as a sub against Oxford.

Atleast MA is consistent & players know they can’t come in & play as shite as Fraser did against Oxford & expect to start the next game.
    My issue with MA is that he also drops players when they are in form. Unsurprisingly they are then not quite the same players when they do get back in. Chem, to an extent, and Louis are the most notable examples of this.
  • Options
    edited January 7
    DOUCHER said:
    I seem to be in the minority but I thought Anderson had his best game for us so far. Thats not the same as saying he is ready for a first team place, but I think he definitely has the skill-set to do well. I hope they will now find him a loan at a decent L2 outfit.
    I agree with all of this. He was definitely better yesterday and was more influential and effective. Also agree he needs a loan, but he has a lot of ability and needs to play men's football to figure out how to use it in games. But I'm still excited by him for next season, and he has a little something special in the final third. 

He went from not a part of our first 22 in pre season to starting on opening day. It's been a quick rise for him, and as with Asiimwe, it was all a little too quick. But they're both teenagers and once they get a handle on men's football they both look to have good potential. They both have the physical and technical attributes required, and that is pretty rare. 
  • Options
    He would be very good if he had two strong midfielders behind him, and he just get on the ball and make things happen.. Watson is very good at taking the ball on the turn, and create space from that. 

But for me, if we are going to play this formation, I would rather May play in the 10 role, if we are going to JCH which looks very likely. 
  • Options
    Louie was very good in the first half but did fade, as you’d expect, in the second. He was partially responsible for Vale’s third, but shouldn’t have been on the pitch at that time, to be fair to him. 
    Anderson shouldn’t be playing at all, although that’s more a reflection on the state of the club than Karoy. He’s a talent and will benefit greatly from a L2 loan spell. Asiimwe too. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    He would be very good if he had two strong midfielders behind him, and he just get on the ball and make things happen.. Watson is very good at taking the ball on the turn, and create space from that. 

But for me, if we are going to play this formation, I would rather May play in the 10 role, if we are going to JCH which looks very likely. 
    I actually think one of the things that killed us this season was McGrandles coming back. Not because of him, I actually do think he's quite good, but because the availability of Dobson, Fraser and McGrandles made Appleton revert from a midfield 2 with May in front of them to a more stodgy 3. With the exception of the Cheltenham game where we sort of accidentally beat them off two penalties we haven't won a league game since we started playing a midfield 3 (we started that way against Wigan but Camara came off within 10 mins and Tyreece came on for him so it doesn't really count). Granted some of that has been losing Leaburn as well, but shifting May to the right doesn't blunt his goalscoring so much as it removes a lot of forward thrust and energy from the space in front of the opposition defenders that they then have to worry about. Right now teams have nothing to worry about in that space so their defence is secure in letting the midfield push a bit further forward to take control and drive through us. We weren't brilliant with May in that 10 role and we still conceded a lot but teams at least had to worry about something centrally that they're just not bothered by with our squad of not quite anything midfielders. 
  • Options
    Was the best player on the pitch for us for the majority of the Port Vale game. No idea why MA seemingly doesn't rate him.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

I actually think one of the things that killed us this season was McGrandles coming back. Not because of him, I actually do think he's quite good, but because the availability of Dobson, Fraser and McGrandles made Appleton revert from a midfield 2 with May in front of them to a more stodgy 3. With the exception of the Cheltenham game where we sort of accidentally beat them off two penalties we haven't won a league game since we started playing a midfield 3 (we started that way against Wigan but Camara came off within 10 mins and Tyreece came on for him so it doesn't really count). Granted some of that has been losing Leaburn as well, but shifting May to the right doesn't blunt his goalscoring so much as it removes a lot of forward thrust and energy from the space in front of the opposition defenders that they then have to worry about. Right now teams have nothing to worry about in that space so their defence is secure in letting the midfield push a bit further forward to take control and drive through us. We weren't brilliant with May in that 10 role and we still conceded a lot but teams at least had to worry about something centrally that they're just not bothered by with our squad of not quite anything midfielders. 
    All fair points, and I do agree on a lot of them.. but the best we have looked this season was with May as a 10.. But I suppose when you also have Leaburn and Chuks playing allows the 10 to have more of a free run
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

Is that Appletons plan though? To me it doesn’t look like it is. Fiorini is definitely a midfielder to play in a 3 and not really compatable with May in the 10. Why sign him if May in the 10 is the plan? And why stop playing May there if it’s the plan? 

If the plan was May in the 10, behind one of JCH/Leaburn/Aneke then I could get behind that and giving Appleton time. But I think the plan is actually 4-3-3 and May will end up on the right and that’s why I can’t really see it ever working for Appleton here, unless we sign such a good team for 4-3-3 that we don’t need May 
  • Options
    Louie has regressed under our coaching team, which clearly does not inspire confidence!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Is that Appletons plan though? To me it doesn’t look like it is. Fiorini is definitely a midfielder to play in a 3 and not really compatable with May in the 10. Why sign him if May in the 10 is the plan? And why stop playing May there if it’s the plan? 

If the plan was May in the 10, behind one of JCH/Leaburn/Aneke then I could get behind that and giving Appleton time. But I think the plan is actually 4-3-3 and May will end up on the right and that’s why I can’t really see it ever working for Appleton here, unless we sign such a good team for 4-3-3 that we don’t need May 
    Clearly it isn't in his plan, I was saying I would play May as 10? If not, he will be out on the wing as you say.. And I am not sure that is best for the team or May.. 
  • Options
    If Appleton seriously thinks the best plan for May is to play him on the wing then we might as well give him his P45 today.
  • Options
    If Appleton seriously thinks the best plan for May is to play him on the wing then we might as well give him his P45 today.
    I would agree! 

But I can't see him playing anywhere different, not sure he can play as a 9 with our tactics and style of play. Then we are looking to bring a number of midfielders in, which would mean, we might go a flatter midfield 3, so only option would be on the wing? As I said, I don't think that is the best for the team or May.. Unless he is given a free role, to go where he likes. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I would agree! 

But I can't see him playing anywhere different, not sure he can play as a 9 with our tactics and style of play. Then we are looking to bring a number of midfielders in, which would mean, we might go a flatter midfield 3, so only option would be on the wing? As I said, I don't think that is the best for the team or May.. Unless he is given a free role, to go where he likes. 
    Hasnt this been our problem so far - trying to get players shoehorned into a system - rather than play a system that suits the players we have ? 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I would agree! 

Hasnt this been our problem so far - trying to get players shoehorned into a system - rather than play a system that suits the players we have ? 
    Has been for years
  • Options
    Is he injured? I might have missed that if so, or just out of favour at the moment? 
  • Options
    Is he injured? I might have missed that if so, or just out of favour at the moment? 
    Out of favour, think people have suggested he isn't the best trainer
  • Options
    Not trying to argue for Appleton here but it’s very interesting how when Apples wasn’t picking him, there was a big clamour for Louie and the coach didn’t know what he was doing.

But now we have a manager that everyone likes, the same decision on the same player has gone completely unquestioned.
  • Options
    Not trying to argue for Appleton here but it’s very interesting how when Apples wasn’t picking him, there was a big clamour for Louie and the coach didn’t know what he was doing.

But now we have a manager that everyone likes, the same decision on the same player has gone completely unquestioned.
    Possibly because people like Anderson are playing better, possibly because we’ve got new signings in that area such Coventry and Bakinson. Also possible that two managers decision has more sway than one. Don’t think it was just to have a pop at Appleton personally, although his use of Watson epitomised his whole tenure.