Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Options
    fenaddick said:
    Chunes said:
    I just want to confirm again, nobody on this entire site has seen any personal abuse of MA anywhere? Because not even MA himself had seen it. He said someone told him about it. And then he proceeded to offer these apparently imaginary people out. 
    There have definitely been comments about his tattoos and how he looks. There haven't been many though.
    In life generally we are all (and I do mean all) judged by how we look / behave/ what we say. 

If anyone chooses for their own reasons to go outside of what most perceive to be the ‘norms’ it’s going to provoke comment sometimes. 

It is what it is and the individual can’t be surprised if it is sometimes commented on. 

• Options
    With all the negativity around, i think we're nailed on to win tonight!!!
    A 6 - 0 romping followed by the covered end chanting ‘Michael Appletons Black and White Tattoo’s’ as he does the tunnel jump. 
  • Options
    Tony Webster Shed - What crisis? For me a crisis is being cut adrift at the bottom of the table, 10 points from safety. I've seen 6 relegation sides over the decades of watching Charlton. All of them had the kiss of death about them. This side doesn't even come close and I'm confident that once the new players are fully integrated into the team that this will turn around and sharply. It may even start this evening. 
  • Options
    edited January 23
    Which option would you spend the owners Jan budget on…

1. Bringing in a much need creative midfielder to replace CBTs assists / goals (like Aaron Collins)

or

2. Paying Appleton compensation to leave

Genuinely think the above could be the problem i.e. the owners aren’t willing to give Scott more compensation funds after already paying off Dean Holden this year.
  • Options
    Tony Webster Shed - What crisis? For me a crisis is being cut adrift at the bottom of the table, 10 points from safety. I've seen 6 relegation sides over the decades of watching Charlton. All of them had the kiss of death about them. This side doesn't even come close and I'm confident that once the new players are fully integrated into the team that this will turn around and sharply. It may even start this evening. 
    Did you see the Burton game?

We were absolutely dire in the second half and the display in that half had relegation written all over it.
  • Options
    Top stats from Robroy, you cannot hide behind them, can you???
  • Options
    Top stats from Robroy, you cannot hide behind them, can you???
    Some will
  • Options
    Can we change the heading of this thread to: Michael Appleton - STILL Charlton Manager (FFS How??????)?

Asking for what I, laughingly, describe as a friend...
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Chunes said:
    I just want to confirm again, nobody on this entire site has seen any personal abuse of MA anywhere? Because not even MA himself had seen it. He said someone told him about it. And then he proceeded to offer these apparently imaginary people out. 
    There have definitely been comments about his tattoos and how he looks. There haven't been many though.
    In life generally we are all (and I do mean all) judged by how we look / behave/ what we say. 

If anyone chooses for their own reasons to go outside of what most perceive to be the ‘norms’ it’s going to provoke comment sometimes. 

It is what it is and the individual can’t be surprised if it is sometimes commented on. 

Not sure going to the gym, having tattoos and shaving your head is outside the norms anymore mate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Having watched MA's pre-match interview I was struck by how calm and measured he was, which is in sharp contrast to the panicked and depressive sentiments that appear to be infesting this board. Even the journos who were interviewing him came across as jittery and nervous. And yet he came across as an oasis of calm in the eye of the storm. It's like looking at parallel universes. I find the difference between the two utterly comical.
    If you can keep your head while all around you are losing theirs, you clearly don't understand how big a crisis you're in

MA after today’s game: https://youtu.be/1TPVtl6Xoew?si=dMfyLh-0Yx9GYOGe
  • Options
    Fortune 82nd Minute - Yes, I was there. We absolutely bossed the game in the 1st Half and were denied a penalty and an Alfie May onside goal. Relegation sides are incapable of even winning one half. The timing of the second goal is what undid us, as we know we have a flakey defence. Hopefully two of them will be replaced this evening by the new recruits. If they are match fit we should see a marked improvement. 
  • Options
    Fortune 82nd Minute - Yes, I was there. We absolutely bossed the game in the 1st Half and were denied a penalty and an Alfie May onside goal. Relegation sides are incapable of even winning one half. The timing of the second goal is what undid us, as we know we have a flakey defence. Hopefully two of them will be replaced this evening by the new recruits. If they are match fit we should see a marked improvement. 
    0 wins in 9, 1 in 12 in all comps, all down to bad luck. Oh, and that we have played top, top teams.
  • Options
    Ok I started the fergie comment…but someone asked if any manager turned it around after a poor run….not comparing MA to the great one….hope that’s been put to bed….but as Curbs has just said he brought in 7 new players and a new asst coach and it would be crazy to get rid of now but needs to win this one
  • Options
    Large Addick - who said anything about bad luck? It's been obvious, even under Holden, that there are glaring weaknesses in the team, many of which should be fixed by the new intake. At least MA has had backing in the window, so that he can start building and playing HIS team, rather than having to play someone else's substandard hand me downs. 
  • Options
    robroy said:
    If Appleton stays we are in serious danger of going down. 

Have you seen our stats?!? 

Check them out (via Stuart Court on Twitter)

A win tonight is irrelevant. He’s not good enough to sustain it.
  • Options
    Never in the third division though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Fanbase is so divided we had people saying it was acceptable when he cupped his ears to the crowd and now the same with the inflammatory 'to my face' remark.

The bloke is the manager of a league one football club. He has to be more professional.
    Haven’t been since his appointment, won’t come back until he’s gone. Awful decision to give him control. 
    Been going for 40 odd years but can’t attend whilst this is going on 
  • Options
    edited January 23
  • Options
    Guy behind me sticking up for him. I pointed out the no win in ten, 1 in 12, no clean sheets in 15, need I go on mate. All I got was 'Er'?
  • Options
    Guy behind me sticking up for him. I pointed out the no win in ten, 1 in 12, no clean sheets in 15, need I go on mate. All I got was 'Er'?
    The players look lost defensively 
    He's been here long enough to have at least got us comfortably top half
    This is embarrassing to say the least
    How anybody can settle for this is beyond daft
  • Options
    edited January 23
    robroy said:
    If Appleton stays we are in serious danger of going down. 

Have you seen our stats?!? 

Check them out (via Stuart Court on Twitter)

I would also say that even with a change of manager that could easily happen.
    May getting very animated recently may suggest there is disharmony in the camp.
    If that is the case it will be very hard for the next manager to rectify things.
    The club is rotten to the core and I fear this could be the season that leads us to play 4th division football.

• Options
    He won’t go, he’ll be saved by that red card 
  • Options

It's going to be game over for Michael Appleton.

Motionless on the touchline.

Right at the end of stoppage time. #cafc

— Richard Cawley (@RichCawleySLP) January 23, 2024
  • Options
    Should never have been hired. 

Serious questions should be asked at how he was appointed and who vouched for him. 
    Scott can go with him.