Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Embargo was mentioned re press .

Did someone forget to put EFL in front of it.

Well today is crazy that’s for certain.👍
  • redbuttle said:
    Maybe the Americans are losing confidence in Scott and co? If Appleton goes they all go..
    Hope so.
    I don't. I agree that Scott made a mistake in his appointment of Appleton. But we need continuity and I really feel like he is a man with good contacts and a good reputation in the game and he has been doing the right things this January. I want him to be given more of a chance to turn this around. I may be in a minority there though.
  • PWADDICK said:
    Never usually mentions the fact there’s an embargo
    They're under an embargo to report the embargo
  • Uboat said:
    There’s a glitch in the multiverse. He’s has and hasn’t been sacked at the same time. 
    Schrodinger's Twat
    An all-time great Charlton Life line. Just spat my tea all over my desk  :D
  • Have been busy all day and had hoped to come to CL to read in a sticky thread that the bloke had gone with X,Y/Z now in interim charge, but no, just utter confusion. He said she said…while the club said nothing. It’s slow torture at the circus!
  • RC_CAFC said:
    redbuttle said:
    Maybe the Americans are losing confidence in Scott and co? If Appleton goes they all go..
    Hope so.
    I don't. I agree that Scott made a mistake in his appointment of Appleton. But we need continuity and I really feel like he is a man with good contacts and a good reputation in the game and he has been doing the right things this January. I want him to be given more of a chance to turn this around. I may be in a minority there though.
    Are you his father? :p
  • edited January 22
    If Appleton has not been sacked but is leaving through mutual agreement, maybe the press conference is the opportunity for him to explain what is happening and say goodbye. It would not work for Fleming or Pearce because they might have to answer unhelpful questions about what is going on. Just a thought.
  • fenaddick said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't taken training but that doesn't mean he's sacked. He's said himself he's an attacking coach and our biggest issue is the defence so maybe Fleming was doing a defensive session before MA led an analysis meeting or something. I'd imagine there's nuggets of truth in the rumours and the training thing could be one of them
    If he hasn’t been sacked and avoided training after that absolute shambles on Saturday then that is a sackable offence in itself. Particularly as Scott and co keep saying that Appleton is good “on the grass”.
  • If Appleton has not been sacked but is leaving through mutual agreement, maybe the press conference is the opportunity for him to explain what is happening. It would not work for Fleming or Pearce because they might have to answer unhelpful questions about what is going on. Just a thought.
    Potentially. But this sort of thing rarely happens. 
    Maybe for a long serving or well loved manager, not for someone universally disliked like Appleton.
  • Sponsored links:

• The only good thing is, when he goes we will not keep getting his picture on the thread for new manager, just like we have had to for the last couple of years 
  • ross1 said:
    The only good thing is, when he goes we will not keep getting his picture on the thread for new manager, just like we have had to for the last couple of years 
    What makes you so confident?
  • The site will crash at 3pm.
  • Nailed on to still be In charge 2mro. That 200% shout is wide of the mark 
  • Maybe he's agreed to leave at the end of the season. Appleton farewell tour
  • fenaddick said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't taken training but that doesn't mean he's sacked. He's said himself he's an attacking coach and our biggest issue is the defence so maybe Fleming was doing a defensive session before MA led an analysis meeting or something. I'd imagine there's nuggets of truth in the rumours and the training thing could be one of them
    Attacking coach, that explains May out in the wing.
  • He not sacked until the legal part is agreed by both parties ..would suggest talks and settlement still being sorted especially if our lawyers are in the USA … so there no reason why he should not go through the motions of being manager , officially he still employed and being paid … 
    Thanks Reams
  • Sponsored links:

• He not sacked until the legal part is agreed by both parties ..would suggest talks and settlement still being sorted especially if our lawyers are in the USA … so there no reason why he should not go through the motions of being manager , officially he still employed and being paid … 
     Been doing that pretty much since the day he walked through the door!
  • If he didn't turn up for training today with a game on Tuesday after a defeat on Saturday, something is amiss. We really need to see the press conference to try to work out what is happening.

The only "motions" i want him to go through are in the Khazi on the way out of the door...🙄
    So in that case he would be put on gardening leave, not doing bloody press conferences!

Given that he’s done the press conference today, and assuming it isn’t some weird monologue where he explains that he’s been sacked, then it must be assumed that he is not in the process of being sacked. 

Now the owners may be preparing the ground for him to be sacked if/when we don’t win tomorrow night, but I highly doubt the legal process has actually begun. 
  • Remember when posters on here said fans can’t affect ownership decisions….

Just wait to see what’s happened. Nothing you can do but stress over speculation. I appreciate
    this is mainly for the Twitter mob
  • Croydon said:
    Looks to me like we have owners who are learning from mistakes and then try to right them. First with the summer window compared to now, also with hiring/firing Appleton. He shouldn't have got the job in the first place, but good to get rid and not worry about the optics of two sackings in one season.

Next appointment is a crucial one. End this season strongly with a respectable table position and use that as a springboard into the next one for promotion.
    Must admit, I'm struggling with "learning from their mistakes"

The owners ie the US money men made a mistake IMHO in letting Methven & Co spend their money, something they may now be regretting.  i would love to read their Whatsapps from the last couple of weeks.

The directors ie the UK based people running the club have made mistakes in key areas of recruitment and team management and more than once.

While the recruitment so far seems better on paper we've not seen an up turn on the pitch where it matters and we look like losing at least one very productive player in CBT (Some don't rate him but his goals and assists this season will be hard to replace).

And having backed Holden and then sacked him they then backed Appleton and may either have to admit they got that wrong too or struggle on with him in the hope of an upturn.  Regardless, this season has gone as far as challenging for promotion which was their stated aim.

If MA goes then how much faith can we place in their ability to spot and to attract an able replacement.   We can all name managers we want but the mess, not all created by the current UK directors for sure but they have continued it, makes Charlton a hard sell to any manager in a job and to many who aren't but don't fancy working for a regime where you get half a season and can't pick your own players.

As with the slides from their presentation as few weeks back it is one thing to spot the problems, it is quite another to find and implement the solutions, something I have seen very little of from the UK directors so far.

Purely from a recruitment perspective, I'd say they've learnt that leaving it til deadline day to sign untested loans didn't work and have a much better recruitment strategy the following window. Whether that brings the required results, we'll have to wait and see. 

Clearly the manager change hasn't happened yet so I obviously that part doesn't ring true.

Loads of still to sort off the pitch but so much of that becomes easier if they can fix the mess on it.
  • He will be in charge tomorrow
    I did say.. he took training this AM as normal
    ....I'm being told that he DIDN'T take training today?!