Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ha, bet Delia is happy !!

Football club hit by sickness bug

About 30 people at Norwich City FC were taken ill following a barbecue for players and staff, it has emerged.

The club confirmed four professional footballers were among those who suffered sickness and diarrhoea.

Delia Smith is a director at City but the barbecue was not provided by the celebrity chef or her catering company.

Outside contractors were employed to lay on the food to allow Mrs Smith's own catering staff to enjoy the event, which was held on Sunday.

It is not known if Mrs Smith was among the 300 staff who were at the barbecue at the club's training centre.

The sickness bug hit City less than a week before the club, nicknamed the Canaries, were due to play their opening game of the season - away to Preston North End this Saturday.

A Norwich City spokeswoman said: "All of the employees affected have been given time off from work and training.

"The club has contacted the environmental health department of South Norfolk District Council and is awaiting more information from them."

Comments

• Options
    Foot and Mouth anyone?
  • Options
    you really wouldn't of been suprised if this was Dowie and Cov, would you ????
  • Options
    Heartbreakingly true! That's what embarrasess me about the whole first half of last season farce the fact that i could genuinely believe he could be in charge of something so stupid! Maybe i'm too harsh?!
  • Options
    Don't worry we had a bbq and fun day for players and families the other day under Pards so it seems as if everyone does it not just Dowie.
  • Options
    Outside contractors from Ipswich area probably.
  • Options
    I only found out the other day that Delia was boprn and brought up in sunny Bexleyheath. Come on love throw a few sheckles toward your true local team - not those inbred East Anglians.
  • Options
    Just think, we could get her to do the pre-match warm up instead of the 'professional' bloke. Then again...