Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I’d never seen it, but now I have.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Never seen ET until about 5 years ago.
    Was he at home yet?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    I watched Von Ryan's Express on Film 4 a few weeks ago and it was my sort of film. I really enjoyed it. Not sure why I hadn't seen it before.
    Seen it a few times, did Sinatra make the train this time?
    Sadly not
  • Options
     Jessie said:
    Jessie said:
    buckshee said:
    Anyone else find themselves doing this lately?
    Great thread. I've been doing exactly this for the past four months now. I used to ignore old films like those made before the 80's but watched Taxi Driver in May and it sort of opened a new world to me - I've since finished watching the complete filmography of Martin Scorsese's (except a few documentaries) and many classics from the 70's to the 90's by other famous directors. Here are some of the ones worth mentioning as I enjoyed them very much and wish I'd seen them earlier:

Each and every Scorsese film  :D 
    The Godfather 1-3 (these were rewatches but I just have to list them here as they are simply the best of the best)
    Dog Day Afternoon
    A Bronx Tale - this one was so good I couldn't believe it was Robert De Niro's directorial debut. 
    Apocalypse Now - I always assumed Marlon Brando was the main character so I was surprised that he only appeared for the last 30 minutes or so of the film but nevertheless this was a masterpiece.
    JFK, Platoon - probably the best works by Oliver Stone
    In the Name of the Father - I was shocked to find that Daniel Day Lewis had won three Oscars for Best Leading Actor but having watched this one, My Left Foot, and before those two, The Age of Innocence, Gangs of New York (which I'd watched many years ago) I finally realised why he was regarded so highly as an actor by so many people.
    Carlito's Way
    ...And Justice for All

A few slight disappointments/not as great as I thought they'd be:
    Reservoir Dogs
    1900/Novecento
    Once Upon a Time in America
    The Deer Hunter
    Scarface

But of course those above are still much better than the majority films being made these days. I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather spend 2 hours watching an old classic than waste time on some mediocre new film.

By the way, if you like The Godfather trilogy, I'd like to recommend this sublime performance of the soundtrack. It's one of the best things I've seen on YouTube.
    https://youtu.be/X-jdl9hcCeg?si=B5x15wKPU6bm-rT9
    I went to see the Godfather with the orchestra sat behind the screen playing the live while you watch the film
    That must have been an amazing experience.
    It was brilliant, a completely different experience 
  • Options
    I can't be the only one looking forward to @DaveMehmet 's list. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I can't be the only one looking forward to @DaveMehmet 's list. 
    Not as much as hearing more about @Carter and Andrea the babysitter