Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

St. Lucia (West Indies)

Thinking of going for a couple of weeks in February. Has anyone been? Any recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    Amazing place, we stayed in a resort called Windjammer Landings, awesome food everywhere we went, the North of the island was beautiful, Rodney Bay and Pigeon Island especially, and a trip to the Pitons, Diamond Falls and the Sulphur Springs are all good things to see
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited September 2023
    Been there twice. A brilliant island. The north and south of the island are different. We stayed at both ends. Rodney Bay and Soufriere. Soufriere is very authentic West Indian and is down near the Pitons which are spectacular. Try and get a tour of the whole island. The interior is beautiful. Banana plantations and all that. 

The island is more volcanic than coral so the beaches tend to be darker sand and the water a darker blue. With volcanic islands you tend to get more spectacular scenery (as per the Pitons) and very lush vegetation. 

As with all Caribbean islands it sometimes borders on 3rd world but that’s just how they live. It’s an illusion. The Resorts can be luxurious. It really is a beautiful island. 
  • Options
    Where is the other St Lucia?
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    There’s one in S. Africa apparently. Who knew?
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    There’s one in S. Africa apparently. Who knew?
    To say nothing of a mothballed army barracks in Northern Ireland.

Obviously, it's also a renowned sun-kissed tourist destination...
  • Options
    I went to the St Lucian Cup Final in 1984 - it was a scary experience, a cross between the Notting Hill Carnival and a Millwall home game. 
    The island is nice though ! 
  • Options
    I went to the St Lucian Cup Final in 1984 - it was a scary experience, a cross between the Notting Hill Carnival and a Millwall home game
    The island is nice though ! 
    so drugs, sexual assaults, stabbings and attacks on police officers crossed with a family day out at the football?  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob said:
    Been there twice. A brilliant island. The north and south of the island are different. We stayed at both ends. Rodney Bay and Soufriere. Soufriere is very authentic West Indian and is down near the Pitons which are spectacular. Try and get a tour of the whole island. The interior is beautiful. Banana plantations and all that. 

The island is more volcanic than coral so the beaches tend to be darker sand and the water a darker blue. With volcanic islands you tend to get more spectacular scenery (as per the Pitons) and very lush vegetation. 

As with all Caribbean islands it sometimes borders on 3rd world but that’s just how they live. It’s an illusion. The Resorts can be luxurious. It really is a beautiful island. 
    Did you drive yourself out there or go on an organised group tour?
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Thinking of going for a couple of weeks in February. Has anyone been? Any recommendations?
    Yes! 

Went for England tour there in 2019. 
    Stayed in Gros Islet in north of island in an apartment as part of someone’s house. Not luxury but fine for us. 
    Every Friday night in Gros Islet there is a street party no matter the weather. A must do. 
    A walk out to pigeon island and pay a street vendor for a boat trip back to Gros islet bay. 
    Rodney bay is the posher bit near Gros islet. Rum punch more expensive and less tasty! 
    Piton lager is the nicest lager I’ve ever tasted. 
    Worth visiting Castries but it’s the busy cruise port so a lot busier and touristy.
    The pitons themselves are a sight to behold. There is a nature trail near the hotel chocolate plantation which was worth a visit. As was the point at the south of the island where the two seas meet. Our landlord whilst there, Dennis, got his mate to drive us around for a day to give us a tour which was great. 
    We also flew via Atlanta which was time consuming and annoying as we had to get an esta for an overnight stay but Dennis flies from London to Paris to Martenique and then a short hop to St Lucia (north airport which is domestic) he says it’s cheaper but sounded like a faff but he lives in Norwich half the year and does it regularly so who are we to argue! 
    Enjoy. The beaches are sandy and the sea is blue. 
    Gorgeous place. 
    The ferries/hydrofoils are pretty good, went from Guadeloupe to Dominica and then onto Martinique, flew via Paris to Guadeloupe and back from Martinique, again via Paris. It was a great trip but not enough time to continue to St Lucia (there was a regular ferry from Martinique to St Lucia.....assume it still runs).
  • Options
    Spent months there in the boat recently.
    NW (Rodney bay) is good for tourists and duty free shopping.
    The rest of the island is well dodgy. COVID had a big effect on the island and pushed a poor population further into poverty. Castries is properly 3rd world.
    Having said that I met some great people (I'm a bit dodgy myself)
    Pitons are glorious
    Visit the mud baths.
    Margot bay is stunning and you can get a day pass to the 5 star resort.
    End of the beach South of the marina entrance is a small shack where the locals hang out and eat. Great place to spend a day.
    Enjoy but be careful.
  • Options
    St Lucia is top of my list for Caribbean islands to visit having been lucky enough to have been to Greneda and Barbados
  • Options
    Was there in May. Probably one of the best holidays I’ve had. Weather was glorious and February isn’t a bad time to go either 😎 We stayed at the Rendezvous by Stolen time. If you go, make sure you go to the Friday Night Jump. It’s like the Notting Hill Carnival but held every Friday. Perfectly safe and very welcoming 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Stig said:
    Went in 2008. Loved it. Stayed at Morgan Almond Bay which was fantastic for watersports. Advise taking a tour of the island as there's so much to see. The Pitons look good fun, I believe you can climb them, but our kids were too small at the time. If you can get your hands on a big snake, it's very exciting.

Just waiting for @DaveMehmet to see this comment!
    :-)  
    NO PHOTOS PLEASE !  :p
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Was there in May. Probably one of the best holidays I’ve had. Weather was glorious and February isn’t a bad time to go either 😎 We stayed at the Rendezvous by Stolen time. If you go, make sure you go to the Friday Night Jump. It’s like the Notting Hill Carnival but held every Friday. Perfectly safe and very welcoming 
    So, NOT like the Notting Hill Carnival then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob said:

Did you drive yourself out there or go on an organised group tour?
    I did both. You can certainly do a lot on your own. 
  • Options
    I went years ago and climbed the pitons. Well worth it. View was fantastic 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. All booked!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. All booked!
    Have fun! It is somewhere I've always wanted to go but events have always conspired to prevent me. I even had St Lucia booked once but then got a call from the travel company to say the hotel was undergoing renovations. So, I cancelled and went elsewhere. It must be something to do with Caribbean islands. I was supposed to be going to Grenada when the wretched Americans invaded in '83.
  • Options
    We are going there this Christmas, looking forward to it nice to hear such good things about the place and the recommendations 
  • Options
    great place to visit
  • Options
    Going in April, very much looking forward to it.  Might even be a game on to see Terrell and his boys