Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

An important "Heads Up" for Saturday, 23rd September. **PLEASE read***

Well, it's been a while but we now have a new challenge for Lifers to support and it's one very close to our hearts. As always, there is no doubt that everyone will rise to the occasion as always. 

September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month - An internationally recognised month when the whole childhood cancer community comes together to show their support for the children, young people & their families that have been affected by this devastating disease. 

In recent years, 2 of our own young people have been mourned by Addicks after being highlighted on CL & other social media channels and their loss felt profoundly following their brave battles against cancer. Of course, we recognise that additional families supporting our club will have been similarly affected and our hearts go out to all concerned. 

In 2018, 4 year old Jack Jeffreys lost his life to neuroblastoma - a truly heartbreaking story followed by many & The Jack Jeffreys Superhero Trust was set up by his family to raise funds to help support children with cancer & other life threatening/limiting conditions and their families in various ways. " Jack's VIP Experience" was set up with the club's co-operation to offer hospitality in an Executive Box at several home matches each season for young children & their families to enjoy a day at The Valley. Their Facebook page shows how varied fund raising activities are held in Jack's name and I'm sure the family won't mind me mentioning a very special event to be held on Sunday, October 1st at Bromley FC......a Celebrity Charity Football Match with a host of well known names due to participate ! Jack Jeffreys Superhero Trust is the FB page you need to view for more details. Please support if you can - I'm sure it will be a great day.

Lifers will need no reminding of the 2nd young man who sadly passed away on 4th February 2022, just 7 months after his diagnosis with a rare form of liver cancer. 

" Our" Ben Jay was just 17 years old and will be long remembered by Addicks for his bravery & determination to win his battle but especially by the huge number of Lifers that supported our efforts to enable the family to make memories they would cherish forever. I'm sure that reminders will be unnecessary but a bumper amount of Xmas cards & gifts were sent to Ben at his favourite time of year, Tracey arranged matchday hospitality for the family & Ben's friends, visits to SL to meet with players & their management team and an overnight stay at Port Lympne with his parents, Garry & Sharon. Oh, and one further mention ....Ben leading out our team at The Valley, as proud as punch with the biggest smile ever regardless of the effort it must have taken - a never forgotten moment. And finally, watching Tracey & her boys walking across the top of the O2. Our players took Ben to their hearts as did we on CL.

The last month or so has been particularly difficult with the exit of Dean, Glyn & Danny with the gaffer & goalkeeping coach becoming close to the family. Tonight Garry emailed to say that only Jason Pearce remains of the team that supported Ben - another memory of Ben that has gone from Charlton. 

So, now getting to the point...Saturday 's match v Wycombe Wanderers will honour Children with Cancer although I don't believe it has been announced on the OS to date. 

YLVS - Young Lives Against Cancer has been allowed to make bucket collections outside The Valley in Ben's name. Garry & Sharon have been supported by this group and all monies collected with be added to Ben Jay's Butterfly Page to which any donations can be made. Garry & Sharon will likely be outside the Club Shop and 2 of Ben's close friends will be close to the Crossbars/Curbs' Stand entrance. Please say hello to these guys, all Addicks themselves, and introduce yourself which I know they will appreciate. There will also be a mention in the matchday programme and likely to be something on the BIG Screen too. 

It goes without saying that you will give generously to this appeal but I needed to give you a heads up to ensure you bring some CASH  to throw into those empty buckets ! How often of late have you been asked in the street to contribute something to a good cause ...and then realise  your card won't cut the mustard !!! So, empty those piggy banks ( including the kids' :) ) dust off that wheelbarrow from the shed, search down the back of the sofa and come weighed down with coins for this, OUR  special cause. 

THANK YOU ! xxx

PS Please tell your Charlton pals as not everyone uses CL...REALLY ??

Comments