Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Burnley to challenge parachute payments

Comments

• Options
    Fair play to them I say, much as I know it'd Fcuk us up I do think the guy has a point.

*Ducks*
  • Options
    I think in principle Burnley are probably right.

However if the rules are to change though it would need to be phased in over a year or two to allow for budgets to be reworked. Otherwise it would be unfair on relegated teams who are suddenly deprived of money they were expecting to receive.

The other side of the coin though is that the Premier League clubs will get even richer relative to football league clubs making it even harder than it already is to bridge the gap and survive in the Prem as a promoted club.
  • Options
    The premier League in a group of about 14 or so teams will cast adrift the Football League eventually & join a Euro league some time in the not so distant future anyway. Just a matter of time.
  • Options
    I think Ketman is right but I think it will most probably be the top 4 who will move away. A few years ago I hated the idea, but now the top 4 have moved so far away in terms of budgets that I think such a move would make the English game stronger and more interesting.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]I think Ketman is right but I think it will most probably be the top 4 who will move away.

I think who makes up the top 4 could be debateable, even the top 6 could have a different look in a few years with all the new money around. Cutting the parachute money will only widen the divide and virtually destroy the dreams of smaller clubs who wish to establish themselves in an already difficult league. What our club did for 7 years verges on the miraculous.
  • Options
    Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Manure.................... not sure its that debatable.
  • Options
    Spurs stand a real chance of challenging the 4th spot if they keep strenghtening and the Arse youth fail to respond. I dont want Spurs in Champions League but it seems a possibility from next season.
  • Options
    The problem isn't parachute payments, it's the existence of the Premier League itself.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]The problem isn't parachute payments, it's the existence of the Premier League itself.

Absolutely spot on.
  • Options
    I think I have predicted Spurs to mount a challenge for the last 30 seasons but each time they have cocked it up. Agree that on paper they look good but I am sure that once again they will flatter to deceive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]I think I have predicted Spurs to mount a challenge for the last 30 seasons but each time they have cocked it up. Agree that on paper they look good but I am sure that once again they will flatter to deceive.

I hope so. Just wish Benty joined the Arse as i find it really hard to wish him ill. Maybe he'll score hat-tricks in plenty of 4-3 losses.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It'd probably be the wrong time to ask Murray or Reg what they think about the issue, but there could end up being another rush towards a "Premiership Two" in a couple of years, although the Football League seem to have done a good job in marketing the Championship and in encouraging fair dealings - we'll have to declare how much we've paid agents this season, for example.

On the other point, I find myself willing Spurs to do well this season just to smash the big four monopoly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite] On the other point, I find myself willing Spurs to do well this season just to smash the big four monopoly.

It's about the only reason i'd wish them any success.
  • Options
    If Burnley win the case, Premiership 2 happens, end of
  • Options
    So 2 Premier divisions of say, 16 teams?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]If Burnley win the case, Premiership 2 happens, end of
    and they won't be in either of them!
  • Options
    Two leagues of 18, easy way to get the Turkeys in the Premier League to vote for Christmas for the 18 team league that UEFA/FIFA are on their backs about, with a big finanical package to save em
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So the current Division One (what we used to call the 3rd division) becomes the Coco Cola Championship - and Accrington Stanley et al will play in the new Division One.

When I was just a mere stripling of a lad, teams like Man Utd, Arsenal & Liverpool (and Charlton! ) used to play in Division One not bloody Accrington bloody Stanley........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]So the current Division One (what we used to call the 3rd division) becomes the Coco Cola Championship - and Accrington Stanley et al will play in the new Division One.

When I was just a mere stripling of a lad, teams like Man Utd, Arsenal & Liverpool (and Charlton! ) used to play in Division One not bloody Accrington bloody Stanley........

But they were founder members.
  • Options
    Accrington FC was a founder member of the Football League, but quit the league in 1893 after getting the hump over being relegated to the second division, and folded a few years later. Accrington Stanley were a rival team at the time, and ended up getting into the league in 1921.

I can't believe I've just looked this up to post this
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You really should be an Inspector!
  • Options
    Icannot see aproblem with Parachute payments.We have been given this as a result of being sucessful (and to prevent us and other prem teams going bust like Leeds).

If this is "illegal" then surely Champions League payments also distort.

I agree we do have an advantage in the Championship with the extra cash but we have earned it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]So the current Division One (what we used to call the 3rd division) becomes the Coco Cola Championship - and Accrington Stanley et al will play in the new Division One.

But they were founder members.

Hah! .......I've clicked on the Inspector's link:

Accrington Stanley, which was originally called Stanley Villa and adopted the town name upon their rivals' collapse (essentially making it a substitute), ended up adopting the Accrington F.C. name themselves following their bankruptcy in 1964. Stanley, additionally, has never played in the English top flight. Thus the two clubs have never had any relation to each other other than their hometown, and should not be confused.

And now I don't know why I did that.........??? *obviously in need of a beer* :-)

PS: Has anyone actually been there, Accrington I mean?
  • Options
    PS: Has anyone actually been there, Accrington I mean?

Yes, I was in the area a few years ago and took a detour just to see the place. Accrington's claim to fame is that it was the smallest town to produce a Pals Battalion in World War One. The Accrington Pal's, officially the 11th East Lancs Regiment went into battle for the first time on July 1st 1916, the first day of the Somme offensive and of 1,000 or so men around a quarter were killed and several hundred were wounded, all in one day.
  • Options
    Accrington Stanley?

Who are they?
  • Options
    test your memories now as i asked this last year.

who were the team originally in the script, but the team objected to the Milk Board and Accrington got picked ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]PS: Has anyone actually been there, Accrington I mean?
    I've got a Saffer mate who was born in Accrington - his parents emigrated when he was about two years old. He says its a strange old town - quaint in a lot of ways, but there's a lot of scumbags there as well. Much like most provincial towns across England I guess.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]test your memories now as i asked this last year.

who were the team originally in the script, but the team objected to the Milk Board and Accrington got picked ?
    Tottenham springs to mind for some reason...
  • Options
    Everton would be the logical choice.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]test your memories now as i asked this last year.

who were the team originally in the script, but the team objected to the Milk Board and Accrington got picked ?[/quote]

I'm guessing Tranmere Rovers.