Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

removal firms & skip hire.

Just looking for recommendations for the above.

Finally got a completion date for our long awaited house move & need to look at booking things in. Any recommendations for removal firms - Swanley to Bromley move so local & not far. Skip hire as there is a lot of junk to get rid of. I've heard of Hippo bags but wondered if they were any good.

So, c'mon lifers.....any recs (good and bad)

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Just looking for recommendations for the above.

Finally got a completion date for our long awaited house move & need to look at booking things in. Any recommendations for removal firms - Swanley to Bromley move so local & not far. Skip hire as there is a lot of junk to get rid of. I've heard of Hippo bags but wondered if they were any good.

So, c'mon lifers.....any recs (good and bad
  • Options
    I'm now on about my 8th skip since I moved, have tried most, Easy-load are about the best for quick delivery and collection.

For removals we used Doree Bonner and were happy, did all the packing ourselves.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I'm now on about my 8th skip since I moved, have tried most, Easy-load are about the best for quick delivery and collection.

For removals we used Doree Bonner and were happy, did all the packing ourselves.
    8th skip?
    What have you been throwing away?

• Options
    edited September 2023
    clb74 said:
    Rob7Lee said:

8th skip?
    What have you been throwing away?

Kitchen, bathrooms, doors, fences, half the garden! There's not a lot left from when we moved in. Just on the final run now, last bathroom being done then a bit of decorating downstairs.
  • Options
    When I moved from Eltham to Bromley - I had murders getting the skip collected. It was still in the drive of the old house 3 weeks after the new people moved in. I was very popular 😄
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    We've used Hearnden a few timesfor skips. Usually pretty good at delivering but can be a little tardy when it comes to collecting it when you're done.
  • Options
    Robert’s & Denny’s 01322 310055

They were fantastic for me in 2019, Charlton supporters too…
  • Options
    James removals are good
  • Options
    used james removals based by Kidbrooke station a couple of times and they have been really excellent.

as to skips it depends how much you are throwing away: small amounts you're better off having someone turn up with vans, load and leave as it removes the cost of the skip licence. Larger amounts, all the skip companies seem much of a muchness and they all seem to Nick each others skips in some skip war that I do not understand. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses - sounds like James removals is in with a shout.

As for skips & what I need removed. Just lots of garage junk, including old bikes, surf boards, masses of clothes but a few big items like mattresses (x2) small divan bed and an old sofa. I will put a sign on the skip that people can take anything they like but there is a load of old tat that I am not going to transport to our new (small) gaff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pinbins for skips are excellent 
  • Options
    I used Matthew James (Dartford), same family as the Kidbrooke ones. 
    Had 2 have 2 vans of stuff taken and stored for 2 weeks, then reloaded and delivered. 
    All went without a hitch and they were very helpful and efficient. 
  • Options
    Take care with who you choose, our last skip ruined our drive, it was very heavily loaded (not by me) and dragged when loaded on the truck, arguments are ongoing, we're in the Midlands so you obviously won't use them.
  • Options
    I always put a couple of scaffold boards under the skip.
  • Options
    Sheet and board before putting skip down
  • Options
    For rubbish collection can highly recommend The Lady and the Truck
    https://ladyandthetruck.website/

Used her quite a few times and always does a good job. 

Also has a Facebook page 
    https://www.facebook.com/ladyandthetruck.website
  • Options

We used https://www.matthewjamesremovals.com We only found out late on the Friday that the completion was going to happen on the Monday and they came on the Sunday and packed the whole house up and stored everything until the Tuesday morning when they brought it all back. 
    Was not cheap
    but with all the stress from everything else going on at the time is was money well spent.  

• Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Robert’s & Denny’s 01322 310055

They were fantastic for me in 2019, Charlton supporters too…
    2nd for these - we moved in lockdown and they couldn't have been more accommodating, staying late on a friday night until the job was done
  • Options

As for skips & what I need removed. Just lots of garage junk, including old bikes, surf boards, masses of clothes but a few big items like mattresses (x2) small divan bed and an old sofa. I will put a sign on the skip that people can take anything they like but there is a load of old tat that I am not going to transport to our new (small) gaff.
    You likely won’t need a sign. A man in a van will appear by magic and take anything of perceived value!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Removals: Roberts & Denny’s, brilliant when I used them and can see another recommendation above. 
    Skip Hire; J Hearden. Again, excellent service, drop off and collect same day is possible. Other skip hire companies will leave the skip on your drive for weeks until they are ready to collect. 
  • Options

You likely won’t need a sign. A man in a van will appear by magic and take anything of perceived value!

Absolutely spot on.