Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fans Bar

For the first time in ages I went to the Fans Bar post match. I thought it was a bit empty given that spirits were high having rescued a point. Now I know why! One bar was shut at 5.45pm and last orders called at 6pm! Peroni was £7 a pint and I’m not sure what I’m getting to justify the price. Added to which when I ordered my mate a vodka and coke I got a glass of vodka with a bit of coke plus what remained of the the small bottle of coke! Bizarre! On the basis of that it’ll be a while before I bother going back!

Comments

• Options
    Phil said:
    For the first time in ages I went to the Fans Bar post match. I thought it was a bit empty given that spirits were high having rescued a point. Now I know why! One bar was shut at 5.45pm and last orders called at 6pm! Peroni was £7 a pint and I’m not sure what I’m getting to justify the price. Added to which when I ordered my mate a vodka and coke I got a glass of vodka with a bit of coke plus what remained of the the small bottle of coke! Bizarre! On the basis of that it’ll be a while before I bother going back!
    So you made on the vodka and lost on the beer?

So really it’s poorly staffed and as a consequence you’d think an easy fix to get more punters to stay for a few post match if proper bar staff employed 

I can only assume the Outsourcing’ means the club don’t really have much of a stake in this. 
  • Options
    I go there every match and have never been charged £7 a pint. 
  • Options
    I could have made on the vodka in a way if we were able to stay and order more V & C sans the coke yes. However, the bar shut so that particular avenue was closed!
    I don’t know if the bar is outsourced or not but it’s a mess either way!
  • Options
    Phil said:
    Peroni was £7 a pint and what I got was a pint of Peroni.
  • Options
    Not great in there. The staff are very friendly and nice peo[;e in there/ They actually ran out of Peroni and Grosch at 2.30pm
  • Options
    Phil said:

So really it’s poorly staffed and as a consequence you’d think an easy fix to get more punters to stay for a few post match if proper bar staff employed 

I can only assume the Outsourcing’ means the club don’t really have much of a stake in this. 
    Think they are outsourced there seem to be different staff every time i used to go in there.
  • Options
    Andy Scott has spoken about improving things with the club as a whole. And this is a classic example of shoddiness.
    I said his words were at least a barometer to beat him with. This is a pretty quick win isn't it?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Phil said:

Think they are outsourced there seem to be different staff every time i used to go in there.
    That’s going to be the biggest problem. It’ll be hard to find any experienced bar staff if you’re only opening maybe twice every two weeks. 
  • Options
    Andy Scott has spoken about improving things with the club as a whole. And this is a classic example of shoddiness.
    I said his words were at least a barometer to beat him with. This is a pretty quick win isn't it?

???
  • Options

Indeed it is. I accept you might have to pay a bit but it seems silly to call last orders at 6pm. You’ve got people there and it’s a great commercial opportunity. It’s not difficult to work out what to do. A number of clubs offer something for a couple of hours. As you an easy fix.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    I don't mind the fans bar these days. The drinks have improved and it's usually pretty quick to get served (a lot quicker than in the stands). Obviously it could still be better. 

I don't understand why they close the bar at the end before the other one, though. The staff are all just standing there with nothing to do but say they're closed and you have to walk down to the next one. What is that achieving?
  • Options
    Phil said:

That’s going to be the biggest problem. It’ll be hard to find any experienced bar staff if you’re only opening maybe twice every two weeks. 
    All sports stadiums have the same problem. I imagine there's a pool of casual staff who are allocated to stadiums, whether The Valley, The Oval or Selhurst Park, depending on who is playing when.
  • Options
    I have spoken to the manager of the fans bar regarding the times a couple of times now as me and my mates weren't happy they advertise watching the evening kick off after the game then kick you out after about 70 minutes.

The manager told me the bar on the far side closing early and then other bars closing at 6 is down to gather and gather, basically he said people would come in at full time order a couple of drinks and sit there with them watching the game and not order again ao gather and gather were paying staff and losing money as the staff were doing nothing, so he said they send some home when the first bar closes and then have last orders at 6pm

You can however stay and watch the rest of the evening kick off, just get a drink before last orders and tell the staff your watching the game and they let you stay, again me and my mates were the last in their yesterday watching Palace v Forest
  • Options
    They have had lots of walk round surveys in there in the past. One of our team spoke at length to the manager one week regarding, the : -

Opening and closing times of the bars including why are they never ready on time.
    The competency of the staff.
    Lack of choice of ales (especially real ales).
    Hot food choice and the ridiculous price of it.
    Removal of the stupid bar around TV screens that spoil the live match viewing.
    Price of drinks particularly non-alcoholic ones.

A few weeks later a real ale appeared and that was about it....Nothing else had changed.
  • Options
    I don't bother with anything from that shit show. Under trained staff who are always surprised by how busy it is on a Saturday. The fact majority of them can't pour a pint or use a till is shocking. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whenever I buy anything from any of the bars around the ground it always appears to me that the member of staff serving me is on their first day..Is that the actual case? Have we really got such a huge turnover of staff? Or am I wrong and they are just useless?
    I think you will find they are only hired for the day, hence the lack of experience 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Take a look at @FootyScran on twitter.
    Some of the offerings at other clubs offer is off the scale. It's really not difficult for someone that gives a sh*t.
    Is S.Sutherland on here?
  • Options
    They will be temp staff that are in full time study for example, and need a bit of cash at the weekend. They won’t be actual professional hospitality staff.
  • Options
    Personally I think it’s improved from last year, the beer is better and I quite like it before the game - kids enjoy it, yeah it’s too pricey but these days where isn’t !!
  • Options
    Personally I think it’s improved from last year, the beer is better and I quite like it before the game - kids enjoy it, yeah it’s too pricey but these days where isn’t !!
    The radical in Plumstead, 2 pints of speckled hen and a pint of inches cider £10.30 on Saturday.
    Yeah but there are some right riff raff who drink in there :wink:
  • Options
    Take a look at @FootyScran on twitter.
    Some of the offerings at other clubs offer is off the scale. It's really not difficult for someone that gives a sh*t.
    Is S.Sutherland on here?
    Most of those photos are of food though, rather than beer service.

I've never had anything at The Valley recently, but the kiosk just inside the entrance to the Curbs looks pretty decent.
  • Options
    Footy scan featured some food from the Valley last week.
  • Options
    The radical in Plumstead, 2 pints of speckled hen and a pint of inches cider £10.30 on Saturday.
    Yeah but there are some right riff raff who drink in there :wink:
    Only on your side of the bar.
  • Options
    me and my mates were the last in their yesterday watching Palace v Forest
    Watching a palarse game at the Valley?