Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Spiders - what the hell is this in my garden ???

Comments

• Options
    Fred, I wondered where he went!
  • Options
    Well, I am no Attenborough but I concur with VG, flash.
  • Options
    There’s some proper beasts about atm loads in our house,  one on one I definitely fancy the spider against me 
  • Options
    Anyone else notice a larger number of small ones round the house this summer? I'm sure they purposely hang at eye level for you to walk into them and flap around like a loon. 
  • Options
    Could you hold it in the palm of your hand so we can see how big it is?
    No F’ing way !!!

I touched it web, the thing scuttled across at a rate of knots !!

Is it a False Widow ?

I have never seen a spider that looks like this before - it’s slightly bigger than a 50p coin, if that helps 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    No F’ing way !!!

Is it a False Widow ?

I have never seen a spider that looks like this before - it’s slightly bigger than a 50p coin, if that helps 
    Don’t think it is a false widow.
  • Options
    I reckon it's a pregnant wolf spider. if so you got a lot more to look forward to :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brownie12 said:
    No F’ing way !!!

Is it a False Widow ?

Don’t think it is a false widow.
    Could be...🤔

• Options

Common names: garden spider, European garden spider, cross spider
  • Options
    This one was munching on a tasty wasp torso!

• Options
    Has anyone had a large wasp like bug in the house? I don't think its a hornet.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Asian hornet?, I think you are supposed to grab a  pic and call it in.

• Options
    No, but one landed on me in a pub garden a few weeks ago, quite close to my neck.
    All my friends were laughing, but I wasn't.
  • Options
    red10 said:

Mrs Baldy says that's it but i'm not so sure.
  • Options
    red10 said:

That ain't an accurate representation on the size of the Asian Hornets present in Western Europe. Think that is another type that actually live in Asia.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think the op is just a big Garden Spider
  • Options
    My dad encountered one of those Asian Hornets in his house, he told me about it, I said "You are meant to call them in and report them, take a photo etc" he sent me a photo of the very dead and battered Asian Hornet having taken several strikes from a moccasin. It was massive, no wonder the concern about them and the chaos they could cause to the native bees 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    My dad encountered one of those Asian Hornets in his house, he told me about it, I said "You are meant to call them in and report them, take a photo etc" he sent me a photo of the very dead and battered Asian Hornet having taken several strikes from a moccasin. It was massive, no wonder the concern about them and the chaos they could cause to the native bees 
    Well they've made it to europe it's only a matter of time before they make it across the channel ( possibly in small dinghy's)
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Common names: garden spider, European garden spider, cross spider,  Flashheart hunter spider

p.s. sleep well  :#

• Options
    Stig said:
    Yep OP is definitely a Garden Spider. Just like this one I got the other day.

Talking of Hornets (bog standard, not Asian) I got stung the other day. I saw a nest when I was out and about and got too close for their comfort. It was worth it though to get some cool pics.

I got attacked by a load of Asian Hornets when I disturbed their nest in our electric meter box, after a storm in France. It was only a couple of weeks after my kidney transplant. Reckon I was done about 10 to 15 times around the ankles and head / neck. Managed to get my gear out the van and treat the nest before collapsing on the drive. Seems I was lucky to get away with 2 weeks of fever and the obvious pain of the stings as some of the local farmers reckon that 5 stings would kill a Limousin cow.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    I now have a live and let live policy when it comes to insects and bugs, and will always let a creature out rather than squish it against the glass etc, however I always feel one kind of spider abuses my laissez faire policy. Its the spiders who decide to live in my car wing mirrors and produce enormous webs full of insects and plant matter and royally piss me off.
    Whenever we sort the garden out, always tell my wife not to overfill any bags she fills, so I can tie them before taking them to the tip, stop any flies, spiders etc getting out in the car on the way to the tip.

Without fail she doesn't bloody listen and I end up with a spider lurking and making cobwebs inside the car to join the ones by the wing mirror.
  • Options
    Spiders don't bother me at all, but they do my wife. When I met her, there was a spider in the car and she tried to get out whilst we were moving. I don't inderstand it. No spider from this country is going to do you any harm!