Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Live Commentary gone? - Zoinks!

Comments

• Options
    Must be doable through Skype, and a phone on an unlimted data package
  • Options
    Im panicking......... what the hells going on!!!!
  • Options
    Sky's Soccer Saturday is widely available online - i know it's not live commentary but it's a darn sight better than text updates on the computer.
  • Options
    AFKA - yes, yes. Charlton Life commentary. Where do I sign.

Honestly this is a disaster for me and other overseas Addicks. Any advise, help, valium would be gladly accepted.
  • Options
    Sadly football is no longer about simple fans like you & I - it's about corporate suits lining their pockets with "exclusive rights", "licenses" & other money making crap. It's astounding that something so simple as a commentary on 90 minutes of 2nd Division football is inaccesible to fans in other countries.

What do they think I'm gonna do - copy it, burn it onto CD's and flood the streets of Calgary with thousands of copies of Charlton Athletic vs Scunthorpe United at $20 a piece?!?!?! Our game is run by absolute tosspots.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Can't we, the fans abroad, sign a petition or anything of the sort and send it to the club?
    It may not help turn things over immediately, but maybe it helps for future decisions?
    Because this is really annoying, I'm going from being able to watch every Charlton match live on telly to watching the BBC text updates...
    Quite a gap I think.
  • Options
    Didn't talk sport do live "unofficial " commentary at the last world cup?

Fans radio- via the internet.

Just thinking aloud.
  • Options
    It's not only overseas fans that suffer - there's not that much coverage outside of the Prem even on Radio Five Live, nor Sky really - even if they choose to cover our game you'll be lucky to get 3 or 4 reports. This is a disaster for anyone outside of the London/ Kent area. I'm off to email Steve Sutherland...
  • Options
    Have tried to get access to the matches, initially at Charlton, to provide post match interviews for our Radio show on Sundays, (which is available on air and on line), but was told by Charlton that I needed permision from the Football League.

The Football League only grant permission if you have an IRN License and then if you pay them for the broadcasting rights. They see all radio as the same, whether you are a Hospital Radio broadcsting to 300, a Community Station broadcasting to a potential audience of 160,000, or a national station broadcasting to millions.

I am not sure yet if there are different charges relating to the levels of service and I'm currently trying to obtain this information. Of course this doesn't effect the same problem of different rights for internet broadcasting and as we do both automatically, I'm not sure how that would effect us.

In my own naive way, I asumed access would be easier when we left the PL, how wrong I was.
  • Options
    Im gutted by this news. The one year when I travel around the world and I can't even tune in to my beloved Charlton on a saturday. :(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    looks like Valley Mc's updates are going to get even more popular....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KillersBeard[/cite] Of course this doesn't effect the same problem of different rights for internet broadcasting and as we do both automatically, I'm not sure how that would effect us.

KB,

With your show you obviously would know more than most on this subject.

What boundries, legally, are there to a live internet only radio programme, with, as a minimum, reports, by fans, from the ground, by mobile phone.
  • Options
    Is there anyway we could make it a private club - log-in protected or perhaps even a minimal CL subscription (which goes to Demelza, of course) - would that help get round any of the broadcasting rights issues?
  • Options
    if there is a way round doing it, we're keen to get something done, so KB, Airman etc if you have any advice please get in touch.
  • Options
    I'm waiting to hear from the Football league on our station's position on the matter.

I would assume that all Football League clubs have signed up to the League's rules and part of these rules involve broadcasting rights.

The Football League have set up what I beleive is an exclusive agreement with Premium TV and I suspect that ALL internet broadcasting has to go through them. Perhaps it is possible to set up an independent CAFCTV site with a subscription based service linked to PTV, but I suspect the costs would be prohibitive.

I am also assuming that even if we as a station are able to pay to be able to broadcast from the ground, we will be prohibited from giving a joint internet stream as a result of the Leagues agrement with PTV.

But as I said, I'm waiting to hear from the Football League on the matter. Early signs aren't good as they see us as a radio station in the same context as the BBC, which is of course flattering but wholly out of touch with reality and I suspect just a ploy to put off the smaller stations from paying what I suspect might be quite a large fee.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]if there is a way round doing it, we're keen to get something done, so KB, Airman etc if you have any advice please get in touch.[/quote]

Naturally I'd very much be interested in this...but I don't think it would be legally possible (whether illegally is another matter...). The broadcasting rights aren't owned by Charlton but are negotiated collectively and that includes radio and TV and any other medium they can lay their hands on. As KB says it isn't the size or scope of the radio station, even if it was limited but that it impinges on broadcasting rights signed and paid for by other organisations. They would argue that overseas listeners are few in number and if they make an exception for Charlton then they have to do the same for all clubs.

We just have to hope that the rolling text on the OS is regularly updated, ie every minute or so and perhaps we should be pressing the club to do this rather than relent on broadcasting rights which are out of their control. Following the Braga match on Saturday this way wasn't easy, there were gaps of several minutes between entries, but that might not be possible if they don't have the manpower.

Alternatively I'll listen in to R5 live on Saturday PM as I think they have a general sports programme and report from around the grounds.
  • Options
    We may get some live games on TV but that's up to the people that control the cable out here and usually at the later times they have any Premier League game plus Italian/Spanish/German/French with the CCC pretty low down in its priorities. Now, if we did re-sign ZZ...?

The radio is disappointing and although at face value it seems a bit surprising, reading the thread and comments from people that know about these matters I suppose it's just one of the sadder aspects of relegation for those of us based overseas.

It has been easy to keep up to speed with everything regarding the team while we were in the top division. It was as though I wasn't away at times. I hope that the buzz doesn't disappear for me when I am waiting for the results late at night, and that I'll still get excited by a goal from a player I have never seen either live or on TV.
  • Options
    Now it seems we have signed ZZ, hopefully the chinese television will broadcast our games and it was always quite easy to get a dodgy chinese internet stream.
  • Options
    Good point, DA. Shows how much the club cares about the long-distance fans - spending £2M on a signing just so we get dodgy internet TV! Maybe the emails to Steve Sutherland worked...
  • Options
    Ha ha - can just picture it now:

SS: Pards, I'm right up sh!t creek, you gotta help me man. The football league have us over a barrell on this internet commentary stuff, Jimmy Melrose is going spare, Dutch Addick is threatening to leave the coffee shop and start a petition and poor old bloody Tom is going travelling this year, I mean of all the years, why this year, why?

AP: Alright, Steve, chill man, be positive. Once I've finished my Zen yoga work out I'll give ZZ a call, the Chinese will be all over it, you won't be able to log on to the net without hearing how Goddamn bloody good I am at assembling Championship squads then.

RM: I don't know Al, you sure? That's a lot of money just so a few Addicks based abroad can listen in...

AP: Chill Richie, you're not dealing with Davros any more, it's all about positive energy man. ZZ's also a bloody whizz with the feng shui in the dressing room and then there's the marketing opportunities. You're dealing with the Pardster now, all bases covered. You'll even have enough profit from shirt sales in China to reinstate the women's team, I wouldn't bother though, we should probably use it to settle Souley's bar bills instead....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2007
    lol, quality
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    We just have to hope that the rolling text on the OS is regularly updated, ie every minute or so and perhaps we should be pressing the club to do this rather than relent on broadcasting rights which are out of their control. Following the Braga match on Saturday this way wasn't easy, there were gaps of several minutes between entries, but that might not be possible if they don't have the manpower.
    Re. manpower - could this perhaps be boosted on a "voluntary" basis? It's pretty basic stuff, no real journalistic talent required to just give the updates. Anybody with a reasonable level of English could do it....

You'll probably find it's currently done by the same person that posts a match report at the final whistle - which means they're not paying 100% attention to the updates because they're writing their report at the same time.
  • Options
    I'm gonna make sure that I'm fully charged this week
  • Options
    Excellent, VM, we'll be relying on you!
  • Options
    Just to update you all, I got an automated reply from the contact at the Football league, to say that he was on holiday until the 23rd of August!!!!!!!!

Best part of twelve weeks without footie and he chooses the beginning of the season to go on holiday!!!!!

Sign of things to come perhaps????

I've got another contact so I'll see what happens with that.
  • Options
    Terry, when we (Millennium FM that is) lost the commentary to Capital I know that Jon Lucas did all he could to get commentary back on the Station, I'm not exactly sure of the figures, but I think they wanted in excess of £4k per game from us. We simply did not have the money and could not have raised the revenue to pay for it.

This one really is out of the club's hands, they are governed by League rules - wasn't it Saints who went against the Football League when they got relegated, took it to Court and lost?

I seem to recall Ipswich Games being covered on a peer2peer radio system last season?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]I'm gonna make sure that I'm fully charged this week[/quote]

I'd just like to say that this is very very decent of you. I wasn't aware that you did it last week. How on earth can you do it, both technically and financially? - I take it that you've got unlimited calls.
  • Options
    I tell you what boys... I turned on to TOTAL FOOTBALL last night this football show over here in Ozzy land, and for the first time there wshowing ALL matches in the prem on a champs league style pick your match typr thing.... absolutley gutted after staying up for years with dodgy feeds and commentry finally they bring it in so Id be able to watch it on the big screen every week!!!

oh well...... COME ON PARDS BRING US BACK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]

I seem to recall Ipswich Games being covered on a peer2peer radio system last season?

Exactly what an Ipswich fan told me, and Premium TV chased it and got it shut down. But where there's a will...
  • Options
    isn't BBC Radio London available on Sky Digital?