Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Frankie Dettori

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/frankie-dettori-retirement-u-turn-top-jockey-will-ride-on-in-america/212963

Frankie will have his last ride in England at Ascot's Champions Day on Saturday week. He has confirmed, however, that he has shelved his retirement plans and will ride permanently in California from next year.
Good luck to him.

Comments

• Options
    https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/frankie-dettori-retirement-u-turn-top-jockey-will-ride-on-in-america/212963

Frankie will have his last ride in England at Ascot's Champions Day on Saturday week. He has confirmed, however, that he has shelved his retirement plans and will ride permanently in California from next year.
    Good luck to him.
    That's going to be murder on his thighs
    Depends how hard the going is 
  • Options
    he'll still be riding til he's in his 60s, or dead .. it's an addiction and all that MONEY to be made
  • Options
    he'll still be riding til he's in his 60s, or dead .. it's an addiction and all that MONEY to be made
    He certainly needs to, I cannot imagine he has made much :)
  • Options

Good luck to him.
    That's going to be murder on his thighs
    Will he still be able to perform his flying dismount?
  • Options

He will continue for as long as he gets the plum rides - i.e. for as long as his ability lasts. It is all about the money.
  • Options
    He certainly lit up Epsom this year, both Ladies day & Derby day, crowd noise went up many notches when he was in the race.  
  • Options
    I know absolutely nothing about horse racing. 

Along similar lines to F1…..how much difference does the Jockey make in the outcome of a race?

What is the kind of Horse / Jockey ratio do you think?
  • Options

Along similar lines to F1…..how much difference does the Jockey make in the outcome of a race?

If the horse wins then it's all the horses doing.

If it loses then its down to the short arse twat of a jockey.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023

Almost impossible to calculate accurately, but my comments would be:

- top jockey against other top jockeys - negligible
    - top jockey against inexperienced/less able jockeys - significant

A good jockey rides the race, not just the horse - pace, positioning, tactics to cover or inhibit (fairly) main threats, anticipates moves from other jockeys and so on.

This quote from the old trainer Fred Rickaby sums up what it takes to be a top jockey:

"If we accept that a racehorse wishes to win, the best way to help him is to sit still and keep balanced. It is often said that some jockeys have a gift of getting horses to run for them. They have; and it is all tied up with balance. To be balanced, you must be able to "feel" the horse between your legs and move with him, not against him. It is this affinity between horse and rider which produces champion jockeys. I agree that it is a gift, but it can be developed if the apprentice has the initiative to learn and the necessary guts. To get balanced and stay balanced when pushing a the end of a race, you must not ride too short, and sit well forward. "

When pricing a horse race many factors need to be taken into account - relative form of the horses (using official ratings to start with), review of previous runs (unlucky in running, hampered, stayed on, no extra etc...) course, distance, going, trainer AND jockey. The last one isn't the most important, certainly not as important as going and distance for example.

But, wtf do I know! I may have been in the industry for 42 years but I'm still working ;-)

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Almost impossible to calculate accurately, but my comments would be:

- top jockey against other top jockeys - negligible
    - top jockey against inexperienced/less able jockeys - significant

A good jockey rides the race, not just the horse - pace, positioning, tactics to cover or inhibit (fairly) main threats, anticipates moves from other jockeys and so on.

This quote from the old trainer Fred Rickaby sums up what it takes to be a top jockey:

"If we accept that a racehorse wishes to win, the best way to help him is to sit still and keep balanced. It is often said that some jockeys have a gift of getting horses to run for them. They have; and it is all tied up with balance. To be balanced, you must be able to "feel" the horse between your legs and move with him, not against him. It is this affinity between horse and rider which produces champion jockeys. I agree that it is a gift, but it can be developed if the apprentice has the initiative to learn and the necessary guts. To get balanced and stay balanced when pushing a the end of a race, you must not ride too short, and sit well forward. "

When pricing a horse race many factors need to be taken into account - relative form of the horses (using official ratings to start with), review of previous runs (unlucky in running, hampered, stayed on, no extra etc...) course, distance, going, trainer AND jockey. The last one isn't the most important, certainly not as important as going and distance for example.

But, wtf do I know! I may have been in the industry for 42 years but I'm still working ;-)

Speaking as someone without interest in horse racing, that is very informative, BM.   
  • Options
    And making sure your under over ratio is positive, from a bookmakers perspective
  • Options
    If Frankie was made of chocolate he would have eaten himself by now. 
  • Options
    R0TW said:

You usually have one of each at the start of a race, but not always at the end.
    What about Frank Hayes who died from a heart attack during the race and remained seated and won the race. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023

not unlike football, the best players go to the top teams where they can shine more than with poorer teams .. millionaire owners and trainers with potentially 'super bloodline' thoroughbreds want the proven best riders on board their charges in the most lucrative races.
    As for Dettori for all his humour, flamboyance and self adoration, he is a very very tough competitor. His father was a top jock in Italy so he's been around competitive people and horses all his life
    He has a few decent rides in the big Newmarket races today (14/10)
  • Options
    After Frankie lost his job with Godolphin he then got banned for drug taking. On his return he had a very poor spell riding horses for smaller trainers with little success until Gosden rescued him and put him on class horses again. 
  • Options
    Lincsaddick
    His father was a top jock in this country as well as Italy riding a classic winner for Henry Cecil I think. 
  • Options
    Had a habit of not paying his bills back in the day.
  • Options

Not sure whether Frankie will be riding this one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Lincsaddick
    His father was a top jock in this country as well as Italy riding a classic winner for Henry Cecil I think. 
    He rode two 2000 guinesa winners for Cecil, Bolkonski 1975 and Wollow 1976.

I remember Bolkonski because he beat Grundy, also the stalls handlers were on strike so they had a flag start.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Lincsaddick
    He rode two 2000 guinesa winners for Cecil, Bolkonski 1975 and Wollow 1976.

I remember Bolkonski because he beat Grundy, also the stalls handlers were on strike so they had a flag start.
    Starting stalls had only been in use in GB for a decade.